Connect with us

Entertainment

Brie Larson Says She Doesn’t Know If Audiences Want to See Her as Captain Marvel Again

Published

on

The first film faced sexist backlash after its release as some viewers were upset with Larson’s vocal feminism. 


“I Really Don’t Know”

While being interviewed at Disney’s D23 Exposition in California on Saturday, actress Brie Larson said she is unsure of her future as superhero Captain Marvel. 

“How long will you play Captain Marvel for?” a Variety reporter asked on the red carpet.

“I don’t know. I don’t know,” the Oscar-winner said while shrugging. “Does anyone want me to do it again?”

“Don’t be so modest,” the reporter quipped.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know,” Larson continued.  “I don’t have the answer to that.” 

Larson was attending the studio’s expo to unveil the first look at “The Marvels,” which will serve as a sequel to “Captain Marvel.” This time around, Larson will be joined in the picture by Iman Vellani as Ms. Marvel and Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau. 

The original “Captain Marvel,” which hit the big screen in 2019, was review-bombed on Rotten Tomatoes, primarily by online trolls upset with Larson’s vocal feminism. In particular, many took issue with her calls for more diversity in the film industry, including among film critics. 

The film raked in over one billion dollars at the box office and has a 79% rating among critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but its audience score remains at a low 45%. To this day, many reviews take anti-feminist stances and accuse the film of being “preachy.”

“Garbage movie trying to force the idea that women can be as good as men,” one audience review from August claims. 

Sexism in Sci-Fi Media 

The onslaught of hate Larson received likely prompted her recent remarks questioning whether or not anyone would want to see her continue to play the famous comic book character. Those comments quickly led to another round of online discourse slamming her and the film. 

One person posted a video seemingly relishing in the fact that Larson decided to finally “admit” that she was hated. Another wrote that she is “insufferable and unlikable” during interviews and has “one of the most inflated egos” in Hollywood.

Others quickly came to the actress’ defense. 

“At this point Brie Larson cannot even breathe in peace because misogynists will jump on her for no reason,” one user tweeted.

“I’ll never forgive the incel bros who doctored & manipulated interviews to gaslit the internet into thinking she was unlikeable,” another added. “And I hate that it worked and no castmate stood up for her.”

Larson is one of many stars to speak out against either racist or sexist harassment from fans of superhero and sci-fi media. Last week, “The Boys” actress Erin Moriarty highlighted how she receives high levels of online harassment compared to her male co-stars, with much of the comments specifically focusing on her weight and body. 

Moriarty wrote on Instagram that it made her feel “silenced,” “dehumanized” and “paralyzed.”

“Star Wars” actress Kelly Marie Train quit social media after dealing with racist and sexist hate. 

Viewers have continued their hostility online towards newer releases. Currently, “She Hulk” on Disney+ is getting review bombed, and actors from the original “Lord of The Rings” franchise have been condemning racist hate an Amazon Prime spinoff series was facing. 

See what others are saying: (People) (IndieWire) (A.V. Club)

Entertainment

Halyna Hutchins Family Settles With “Rust” Production, Filming to Resume in 2023

Published

on

Alec Baldwin said everyone involved was motivated by the “desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son.”


Settlement Reached

The family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was fatally shot on the set of “Rust” last year, reached a settlement with the production over a wrongful death lawsuit on Wednesday. 

The lawsuit was filed in February, several months after Hutchins’ death in New Mexico last October. The cast and crew were rehearsing a scene that involved producer and actor Alec Baldwin pointing a gun toward the camera. Baldwin claims he did not know it was loaded when it fired, killing Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza. 

The actor also claims he did not actually pull the trigger, but investigators determined it must have been pulled. 

Hutchins’ husband Matthew filed the wrongful death suit on behalf of himself and his young son. It claimed that the production did not follow proper safety procedures and endangered the crew via reckless cost-cutting measures. Baldwin was listed as a defendant, as well as the set’s armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, first assistant director, Dave Halls, and others involved with the film. 

The amount of the settlement was not disclosed, but as part of the agreement, the production of “Rust” will resume in January 2023. The late cinematographer’s husband will join the project as an executive producer. 

“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin),” he said in a statement. “All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”

A Tribute to Hutchins

Souza will return as the director. In a statement, he said his “every effort on this film will be devoted to honoring” Hutchins.

For his part, Baldwin shared the news of the settlement on his Instagram Wednesday morning.

“Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son,” he wrote. “We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation.”

According to The Los Angeles Times, while Gutierrez-Reed and Halls were not part of the settlement, if a judge approves it, the allegations against them will be resolved.

There is still an ongoing criminal probe happening separately from this lawsuit. It is unclear what impact the settlement will have on that, if any. 

Last month, Santa Fe District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies sent a letter to the New Mexico Board of Finance seeking additional funding to prosecute up to four people over the incident, including Baldwin. So far, no charges have been filed. 

In April, the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau fined the production after it found multiple safety violations on set. 

See what others are saying: (The Los Angeles Times) (The Hollywood Reporter) (Deadline)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

The Try Guys Address Removal of Ned Fulmer: “We Had No Idea This Was Going On”

Published

on

The group said that by severing ties with Fulmer, it felt like they were losing a friend. 


“That Is Not What We Stand For”

Digital comedy and sketch group The Try Guys posted a video on Monday night explaining the recent removal of member Ned Fulmer. 

Last week, the Internet was filled with speculation that Fulmer, who is married with children, was having an affair with a staffer for The Try Guys. Fulmer confirmed the reports, claiming he had a “consensual workplace relationship.” The Try Guys quickly announced that Fulmer would no longer be working with the group as the result of an internal review. 

In Monday’s video, the remaining three members, Eugene Lee Yang, Zach Kornfeld, and Keith Habersberger, explained what led to their decision to remove Fulmer. While the trio noted there were legal issues that prevented them from sharing certain details, they wanted to be as transparent as possible. 

“On Labor Day weekend, multiple fans alerted us that they had seen Ned and an employee engaging in public romantic behavior,” Habersberger explained. “We reached out to check on that employee and Ned confirmed the reports, and since confirmed that this had been going on for some time, which was obviously very shocking to us.”

He emphasized that the rest of the group “had no idea this was going on.” 

After this, The Try Guys reached out to a variety of lawyers and HR professionals to make sure they handled the situation correctly. 

“This is something we took very seriously,” Yang said. “We refused to sweep things under the rug. That is not who we are, and that is not what we stand for.” 

Removing Fulmer From Content

They decided to immediately remove Fulmer from work activities and hired an HR rep to conduct a review. Fulmer was also withdrawn from releases pending the results of that review. 

As part of this, his video section was erased, he was digitally taken out of some content, and he was not included in merch drops. The Try Guys said this was a long and tedious process. 

“Honestly, I want to give major props to our editing staff for how deftly they handled that,” Kornfeld said. “There are several videos that we have deemed as fully unreleasable, you will never see them, and that is due to his involvement. And that is a decision that has cost us lots of money.” 

“We will not be able to recoup that money,” he continued. “But it’s a decision we stand by proudly.” 

The group declined to share details of the review but claimed it found that Fulmer engaged in “conduct unbecoming” of the team. Because of this, Yang, Kornfeld, and Habersberger gave written consent on Sept. 16 to ax Fulmer as a manager and employee of The Try Guys company. 

The three said they were always planning to make a public statement about their decision, but were initially waiting out of respect to the families and employees involved. As online speculation arose, they chose to deal with it sooner. 

“We’re losing a friend, we’re losing someone we built a company with, we have countless memories with, we just made a TV show together,” Kornfeld said. “I’m sure many of you feel the same way.” 

According to the group, some upcoming videos featuring Fulmer will be edited to remove him. They said they are currently taking time to reimagine their channel. 

See what others are saying: (USA Today) (People) (Deadline)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Bruce Willis Denies Rumors He Sold His Likeness For Deepfake Use

Published

on

Deepfakes face criticism from Hollywood to social media.


Willis Debunks Rumors

Actor Bruce Willis denied rumors over the weekend that he sold his likeness to the deepfake company DeepCake. 

Willis agreed last year for his face to be used in a commercial for a Russian telecoms company. For this commercial, DeepCake digitally edited Willis’ face onto a Russian actor. This sparked rumors that Willis had sold the rights to his likeness for the company to use in future projects. 

However, both management for Willis and DeepCake itself denied any partnership or agreement for these rights.

“Bruce couldn’t sell anyone any rights, they are his by default,” DeepCake said.

Agreements for the AI generation of actors have been heard of before, however. Recently, actor James Earl Jones agreed for his voice to be technologically generated for the voice of Darth Vader in the Star Wars franchise. 

Deepfakes Online

This comes as deepfakes are facing mounting criticism online, including from prominent YouTube personality and author, Hank Green. He recently tweeted about a channel that uses similar deepfake technology and AI-voice generation to parody popular YouTube creators. He stressed his concern that while the channel in question may not be nefarious, this technology could end up being harmful. 

“There are ways to do this that would be much worse, more mean spirited, and more exploitative than this,” Green said. “And I’m very worried about what that will look like, because if this is working (and allowed), people will do it.”

Among other issues, Green mentioned these videos could abuse monetization and sponsorship opportunities while exploiting someone else’s face and brand. Green even implored YouTube to evaluate its terms of service as the popularity of deepfakes rise. 

See what others are saying: (BBC) (Mashable) (The Telegraph)

Continue Reading