In response to the defamation claims, the podcast host argued that his criticisms of Kavanaugh are based on published news articles from reputable media outlets.
Ryan Kavanaugh Files Lawsuit Against Ethan Klein
YouTuber and “H3 Podcast” host Ethan Klein issued a statement to Rogue Rocket on Tuesday condemning a lawsuit filed against him by media mogul Ryan Kavanaugh.
Kavanaugh, a movie producer and co-founder of the social media app Triller, wrote an essay earlier that same day announcing the lawsuit. The tension between the two parties, however, stems back to when Triller sued Klein for allegedly pirating and broadcasting one of its marquee fights between Jake Paul and Ben Askren in April.
Klein has argued that the short clip he played from the program falls under fair use. Meanwhile, Kavanaugh claims that amid this Triller legal battle, Klein has “posted more than eight podcasts disparaging” him with defamatory remarks. This prompted him to file the separate suit against Klein personally Tuesday.
“He has posted video after video attacking and slandering me personally, despite the fact that, while I am a shareholder and co-founder, I am not Triller,” Kavanaugh wrote.
Among other claims, Kavanaugh alleged that Klein has falsely accused him of not paying his nanny and receiving two DUIs. Kavanaugh also accused Klein of repeatedly taking a Variety article that accused him of running a Ponzi scheme out of context and not clarifying that the accusation at hand had been revoked.
Kavanaugh additionally alleged that Klein encouraged his followers to carry out online attacks against him. He claimed his reputation was further harmed when Klein allegedly had bots edit Kavanaugh’s Wikipedia page with negative information and give poor reviews of the Triller app.
“All of this amounts to textbook malicious behavior, intended to harm me and Triller,” Kavanaugh wrote. “This leaves me with no choice but to sue. One malignant internet personality with a large following—the equivalent of an angry child with a loaded gun—can cause disproportionate harm to anyone, using lies, slander, and SEO, and suffer few if any consequences.”
According to a screenshot of the lawsuit Kavanaugh posted to Instagram, he is accusing Klein of defamation and defamation by implication.
Ethan Klein Denies Accusations
In his statement to Rogue Rocket, Klein denied the accusations.
“Ryan Kavanaugh’s first malicious lie is that he claims I pirated his event,” Klein wrote. “Fair use is at the heart of this lawsuit, same as with our first lawsuit. We used a short clip of the event during an extremely critical commentary during a 3 hour podcast. Ryan Kavanaugh tries to blame me for his event being widely pirated which is pure defamation. We didn’t even react to the event until days after it was streamed on PPV. If he cared about pirates why did he drop all of his other lawsuits against actual pirates but only kept the one against me?”
Klein added that he has not told his fans to harass Kavanaugh and has actually discouraged them from doing so on multiple occasions. Klein also said he did not make up allegations that Kavanaugh received a DUI or did not pay his nanny, citing links to articles by The New York Times, Vanity Fair, and Fox San Diego that previously reported on these cases.
“I am not creating any of these claims, but merely reading what has already been published by well respected news sources. How is that defamation?” he said.
Klein went on to argue that he repeatedly made it clear on his “H3 Podcast” that the allegations mentioned in the Variety article were eventually revoked. Klein then wrote that if Kavanaugh “has a problem with the article,” he should “take it up with Variety, one of the most trusted news sources in entertainment, not me.”
The YouTuber noted that he has only encouraged his followers to provide honest reviews for the Triller app and believes that Kavanaugh is unjustifiably placing full blame for poor reviews on him when there are other factors to consider.
“He claims I am solely responsible for every 1 star review Triller has received, despite one of Triller’s stars and equity holders Noah Beck making a TikTok complaining about the app being flipped,” Klein claimed.
“Ryan Kavanaugh is a business elite who is used to suing, harassing and breaking the law with no consequences,” Klein continued. “He wields the legal system like a malignant tyrant, uses it to silence his critics, and now to stifle fair use, something we all on youtube should care about.”
In a Twitter thread, he further accused Kavanaugh of trying to get him banned from YouTube and said Kavanaugh has allegedly sent him a “threatening” message on Instagram.
For his part, Kavanaugh spent much of Tuesday promoting his lawsuit on social media.
“For people who just blindly believe what Ethan is preaching he is lying and by doing his bidding you are helping him harm a lot of people while putting millions in his pocket,” he alleged in one Instagram post.
See what others are saying: (The Hollywood Reporter) (Insider)
“Emancipation” Producer Apologizes, Hopes He Did Not “Distract” From Film’s Message By Bringing Photo of Enslaved Man to Premiere
He said he plans on donating his collection of historical images to appropriate institutions.
McFarland Brings “Whipped Pete” Photo to Premiere
“Emancipation” producer Joey McFarland apologized on Sunday after facing backlash for bringing the original 1863 photo of the enslaved person the film is based on to the premiere.
“I wholeheartedly apologize to everyone I have offended by bringing a photograph of Peter to the Emancipation premiere,” he wrote in a statement on Instagram. “My intent was to honor this remarkable man and to remind the general public that his image not only brought about change in 1863 but still resonates and promotes change today.”
The photo, frequently dubbed “Whipped Peter,” is one of the most famous images depicting the gruesome realities of slavery in America. He is facing away from the camera, revealing the severe scarring all across his back. According to the Library of Congress, the formerly enslaved man was actually named Gordon. Will Smith plays him in “Emancipation,” which follows his escape from slavery.
While walking the red carpet of the film’s premiere, McFarland carried the photo with him.
“I have the photo. This is the original photograph from 1863,” he told Variety. “I wanted it to be here tonight. I wanted a piece of Peter to be here tonight.”
While lamenting the fact that so many historical artifacts have not been properly preserved, McFarland told Variety that he “took it upon [him]self to curate and build a collection for future generations.” He said his collection will be donated after he dies.
His remarks were met with swift criticism from those who thought it was inappropriate for McFarland to not just own the picture, but to bring it to a Hollywood event.
“Why do you own the photograph? Why did you bring it to a movie premiere if the intent is to preserve it respectfully?” The Black List founder Franklin Leonard tweeted.
“I don’t know, man, but bringing ‘a piece of Peter’ that you ‘own’ to the red carpet of a movie that’s personally enriching you so that you can collect more slave memorabilia that you’ll keep until your death,” he added along with a giphy of Kenan Thompson saying “yikes.”
McFarland Acknowledges Historical Photos “Belong to the World”
Others argued that the photo should belong to Gordon’s family.
“Being in possession of a symbol that reflects our trauma is exactly what our oppressor would do. He is his ancestor’s child,” another person added.
In his apology, McFarland said that he hopes his actions “don’t distract from the film’s message, Peter’s story and just how much impact he had on the world.”
Throughout the development of “Emancipation,” McFarland said he discovered many photos of overlooked individuals with important historical stories. He said he always planned to donate them and believes “there is no better time to begin that process than now.”
“These photographs, which existed before me, will be around long after I am gone; they belong to the world,” he wrote.
See what others are saying: (Variety) (The Hollywood Reporter) (The Daily Beast)
Joe Rogan Holds Spot As Top Podcaster on Spotify in 2022
Earlier this year, some threatened to boycott the platform over Rogan and the health misinformation he shared on his show.
For the third year in a row, “The Joe Rogan Experience” was the number one podcast on Spotify, the company revealed in its yearly “Wrapped” feature on Wednesday.
“The Joe Rogan Experience” became exclusive to Spotify in 2020 after the host signed a lucrative deal with the audio streaming platform. “Call Her Daddy” by Alex Cooper, also a Spotify exclusive, followed Rogan on the charts. “Anything Goes With Emma Chamberlain,” which will become exclusive to the service next year, came in third.
Rogan’s podcast has made several headlines over the last year as the podcaster faced backlash from medical professionals and major musicians for touting COVID-19 misinformation. Niel Young asked to have his music removed from Spotify in protest of the company’s deal with Rogan, and several other artists soon followed.
Just a few days later, several clips resurfaced of Rogan using a racial slur. Many called to boycott Spotify for platforming Rogan, but his popularity did not seem to fade by the year’s end.
There are over four million podcasts available to stream on Spotify and over the last year, the platform has expanded into new markets.
It also has started launching podcasts from several high-profile figures, including Kim Kardashian’s “The System,” and Meghan Markle’s “Archetypes.” Both of those debuted mid-year and did not crack the annual top-five list.
Comedian Gives David Beckham Ultimatum: Exit Role at Qatar World Cup Or £10K in Donations Gets Shredded
“Not just the money, but also your status as a gay icon will be shredded,” Joe Lycett said in a video.
Pressure on Beckham
Comedian Joe Lycett posted a video on Sunday saying he would shred £10,000 if soccer star David Beckham does not pull out of his deal to be an ambassador for the Qatar World Cup.
Ahead of the event, which kicks off on Nov. 20, many have been raising concerns about human rights abuses in Qatar. The country criminalizes homosexuality, and it can be punishable by death.
Beckham’s deal to represent the country was reportedly worth £10 million, and many are frustrated that the athlete took such a big check from a country with known anti-LGBTQ laws. In his video, Lycett noted that Beckham has been openly supportive of his gay fans and was the first premiere footballer to do a photoshoot with a gay magazine.
In an attempt to get Beckham to bow out of his role, Lycett, who is pansexual, offered an ultimatum.
“If you end your relationship with Qatar, I’ll donate this £10,000 of my own money, that’s a grand for every million you’re reportedly getting, to charities that support queer people in football,” he stated. “However, if you do not, at midday next Sunday, I will throw this money into a shredder.”
“Not just the money, but also your status as a gay icon will be shredded.”
Beckham’s Reputation “Shredded”
Lycett said he would livestream the money shredding if that’s what the situation comes to. If Beckham does not back out of the World Cup, Lycett noted he will be forced to “commit what might be a crime,” as destroying legal tender is against the law in the U.K.
“Although even then, I reckon I’ll get off more lightly than I would if I got caught whacking off a lad in Doha,” Lycett quipped.
Lycett then linked to a website titled https://benderslikebeckham.com/, which includes a written version of his message, as well as a countdown to when he will either shred the cash or send it to a non-profit.
Lycett is not the only U.K star to raise concerns about issues in Qatar. Singer Dua Lipa shut down speculation that she would be performing at the World Cup over the weekend by saying she has no intentions to visit the country until “it has fulfilled all the human rights pledges it made when it won the right to host” the event.
Other stars, however, including BTS’s Jung Kook, are slated to take the stage.