Connect with us

U.S.

Olympic Gold Medalist Suni Lee Says She Was the Victim of a Racist Attack in Los Angeles

Published

on

The 18-year-old gymnast said someone pepper-sprayed her arm during a drive-by incident a month ago.


Suni Lee Says She Was Victim of Hate Incident

Gold medalist Suni Lee revealed in an interview with PopSugar published Wednesday that she was the victim of a racist attack in Los Angeles last month. 

The 18-year-old gymnast told the outlet she was waiting for an Uber with friends who were also of Asian descent when a group of people driving by shouted slurs like “ching chong.” The group additionally told Lee and her friends to “go back to where they came from.” Lee claimed that one person pepper-sprayed her arm during the drive-by incident.

“I was so mad, but there was nothing I could do or control because they skirted off,” Lee told PopSugar. “I didn’t do anything to them, and having the reputation, it’s so hard because I didn’t want to do anything that could get me into trouble. I just let it happen.” 

Anti-Asain Hate Crimes Increase Amid Pandemic

Over the summer, Lee became the first Hmong-American to compete in the Olympics. During her impressive performance in Tokyo, she also became the first Asian American gymnast to win the gold medal for the all-around competition. 

“The community is very proud her,” Lee’s father, John, told NBC News during the Olympics. Prior to her win, he told Elle that the potential for his daughter to snag a medal “would be the greatest accomplishment of any Hmong person in the U.S. ever. It will go down in history.”

Anti-Asian hate crimes have risen dramatically since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. The nonprofit Stop AAPI Hate received over 9,000 incident reports between March 2020 and June 2021. In August, the FBI revealed that hate incidents against people of Asian descent increased by 70% in 2020 compared to 2021. 

“These hate crimes and other bias-related incidents instill fear across entire communities and undermine the principles upon which our democracy stands,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement at the time.

See what others are saying: (PopSugar) (BBC News) (ESPN)

U.S.

Parents of Suspected Michigan Shooter Plead Not Guilty To Involuntary Manslaughter Charges

Published

on

The couple was held on $500,000 bonds each after they failed to appear for their arraignment Friday, prompting an overnight manhunt.


Suspect’s Parents Charged

The parents of a suspected school shooter who left four dead and seven others injured in Oxford, Michigan, last week pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter charges Saturday following an overnight manhunt.

On Friday, prosecutors in Michigan took the rare step of charging the parents of the 15-year-old accused of carrying out a mass shooting at Oxford High School with four counts of involuntary manslaughter each — one for every student killed in the attack.

During a press conference, Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald argued that the boy’s parents were culpable in the most deadly school shooting this year because they allowed their son access to the murder weapon and actively ignored obvious warnings that he was considering violence.

At the briefing, prosecutors said that the suspect’s father had purchased the weapon four days before the shooting as an early Christmas gift for the teen. McDonald said the kid “had total access to this weapon” which was kept “unlocked in a drawer” in his parent’s bedroom.

Lawyers for the parents have disputed that claim, asserting that the gun was, in fact, locked.

Alarming Warning Signs

Prosecutors also noted that there were a number of incredibly alarming warning signs that the suspects parents ignored.

They noted that after the gun was purchased, authorities at Oxford raised concerns about the teenager’s behavior twice.

According to prosecutors, the day before the shooting, a teacher saw him searching for ammunition on his phone. School officials called his parents, who did not respond, but his mother later texted her son: “LOL I’m not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught.”

The next day, another teacher found a drawing of a gun on the suspect’s desks with images of a gun, a person who was shot, a laughing emoji, along with the words “Blood everywhere” and “The thoughts won’t stop. Help me.”

That drawing prompted a meeting with the boy’s parents, but prosecutors said they refused to take their son home and did not ask him about the gun, search his backpack, or inform the school that they had purchased one for him.

But prosecutors noted that when news of the shooting broke a few hours later, the suspect’s parents were quick to believe it was their son.

His mother allegedly texted him “don’t do it.” Meanwhile, his father called the police to inform them that a weapon was missing from their house and that his son could be the gunman.

Manhunt for Parents

Prosecutors argued that their claims regarding the parent’s culpability were further bolstered when the two appeared to flee once the charges against them were made public.

A few hours after the announcement, authorities said police were searching for the parents, who were scheduled to be arraigned that day but had stopped communicating with their attorneys. A massive manhunt for the fugitives was launched that included sheriff’s deputies, Detroit police, U.S. marshals, FBI officers, and even U.S. Border Patrol. 

Then at around 1:30 a.m. on Saturday, police said they found the couple “hiding” in a warehouse building in Detroit —  about 40 miles from where they live — after someone tipped off authorities that their vehicle was nearby.

Lawyers for the couple disputed that they were hiding, claiming that they had believed their arraignment was Saturday morning and had planned to attend, blaming a miscommunication with the prosecutor’s office.

Both law enforcement officials and prosecutors were skeptical of that assertion.

“I think where they were and how they were seems to support the position they were hiding and they weren’t looking for surrendering at that point,” Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said.

That statement was echoed by prosecutor McDonald, who noted that the two also withdrew thousands of dollars in cash from an ATM, which she cited as part of the reason they should be held on a high bond of $500,000 each.

“They sought multiple attempts to hide their location and were eventually tracked down after they parked their car somewhere a witness saw it,” she said. “These two individuals were found locked somewhere in a room, hiding. These are not people that we can be assured will return to court on their own.”

A judge agreed to the bond during the couple’s arraignment Saturday, where both parents pleaded not guilty to the charges against them.

Currently, the couple is being held in the same jail their son is in, though all are being kept separate. All three have also been placed on suicide watch, but officials said they passed initial mental health screenings.

The two parents face up to 15 years if convicted on the charges. Their son faces two dozen charges, including terrorism.

Editor’s Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murders or suspected mass murderers who may have been seeking attention or infamy. Therefore, we will not be linking to other news coverage, as they may contain these details.

Continue Reading

U.S.

NFL Suspends Three Tampa Players, Including Antonio Brown, for Faking COVID Vaccination Status

Published

on

A Tampa Bay Times previously alleged that Brown had obtained a card that falsely claimed he had received a COVID-19 vaccine.


NFL Suspends Three Players

The NFL announced Thursday that it had suspended wide receiver Antonio Brown and two other Tampa Bay Buccaneers players for misrepresenting their COVID-19 vaccination status. 

The suspensions will last three games. According to the football league, all three players have accepted the disciplinary action and will not appeal.

Brown has not played a game since mid-October due to an ankle injury. He, along with safety Mike Edwards, will be able to return to the field on Dec. 26. The league said that free-agent wide receiver John Franklin III is ineligible for the next three games if signed by the team.

“The health and safety of players and personnel is our top priority,” the NFL and the NFL Players Association said in a joint statement. “The protocols were jointly developed working with our respective experts to ensure that we are practicing and playing football as safely as possible during the ongoing pandemic. The NFL-NFLPA jointly reinforce their commitment and further emphasize the importance of strict adherence to the protocols to protect the well-being of everyone associated with the NFL.”

The suspension comes weeks after the Tampa Bay Times reported that Brown previously obtained a fake vaccination card, which is a federal crime. The outlet was tipped by his former live-in chef, and the report included screenshots of text messages Brown allegedly sent inquiring about fake cards. According to the Times, Brown was willing to pay $500 for a fake card that said he received the Johnson & Johnson jab. 

Players Allegedly Forged Vaccination Cards

Following the report, the Buccaneers released a statement saying it reviewed the cards submitted by players and found “no irregularities.”

According to ESPN, Brown brought the card to training camp but upon learning that he could get into serious trouble for doing so, opted to get the vaccine. 

“Mr. Brown is vaccinated and continues to support the vaccine for any person for whom it is appropriate,” Sean Burstyn, an attorney for Brown, said in a statement. “The NFL made its determination and, instead of going through the drawn out and distracting process of challenging the outcome, Mr. Brown wrapped this up promptly and he will make this most of this time by treating his ankle injury. Mr. Brown will be motivated, well rested, and in the best shape of his life when he returns in [W]eek 16.”

The NFL has not commented on the vaccination status of any of the suspended players. 

The league’s statement said the team will not be fined over the misleading claims from Brown, Edwards, and Franklin. While the NFL did not specify how Edwards and Franklin misrepresented their vaccination status, several reports have indicated that they, too, had fake cards.

“We appreciate the league’s timely handling of this matter and recognize the importance of the health and safety protocols that have been established,” the Buccaneers said in a team statement. “We will continue to implement all league COVID-19 protocols.”

See what others are saying: (ESPN) (The New York Times) (Tampa Bay Times)

Continue Reading

U.S.

Prosecutor Considers Charging Parents of Suspect in Oxford High School Shooting

Published

on

Law enforcement officials said the teenage suspect used his father’s gun to carry out the shooting that left four dead and seven others injured.


Charges Filed, More May Come

The Michigan prosecutor overseeing the investigation into the Oxford High School shooting said Wednesday that she may file charges against the parents of the suspected teenage gunman — a decision that would be highly unusual.

Law enforcement officials said the 15-year-old suspect used his father’s gun in the Tuesday attack, which left four students dead and seven others injured in the deadliest school shooting this year.

The teen, who was a student at the high school, was later arrested and charged as an adult for two dozen crimes, including first-degree murder, attempted murder, and one count of terrorism. He has pleaded not guilty on all charges.

Authorities have not yet identified a motive but said Wednesday that there was a “mountain” of evidence showing the suspect’s desires and plans to kill students at his school.

Officials recovered two cellphone videos the student had made the night before the shooting in which he talked about killing his classmates at the high school the next day. They also recovered a journal from the teen’s backpack where he wrote about his desire to “shoot up” the school.

A review of the suspect’s social media accounts also showed that he had access to a firearm. Some posts even showed him with the same type of gun as the murder weapon, a SIG Sauer 9mm.

While law enforcement authorities did not mention any specific posts, a screenshot from the teenager’s now-deleted Instagram that has been widely circulated includes a picture he posted on Friday of a hand holding a gun with the caption, “Just got my new beauty today. SIG SAUER 9mm. Ask any questions I will answer.”

Officials have confirmed that the suspect’s father bought the gun used in the shooting four days earlier, though they have not said how he got the gun or whether it was secured in the family’s home prior to the incident.

In her remarks regarding possible charges for the boy’s parents on Wednesday, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald argued that gun owners have a responsibility to ensure their weapons are secured, especially in households with young people.

“Those who do not do that should and will be held accountable, we have to do better,” she said, adding that she expects more charges to be filed against the suspect as well.

According to The Washington Post, adult gun owners “are almost never held accountable when children use their weapons to harm themselves or others.”

That’s despite the fact that if children as young as 6 did not have access to guns, well more than half of the country’s school shootings since 1999 would never have happened,” the outlet reported.

More Details Emerge

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told CNN Thursday that two teachers separately reported concerning behavior from the student in the days before the attack, which prompted two meetings with school administrators.

According to the sheriff, the first report came the day before the shooting when “a teacher in the classroom where he was a student saw and heard something that she felt was disturbing.” 

“They had a counseling session about it with school officials, and a phone call was left with the parents,” he added.

The second incident occurred on Tuesday, shortly before the attack, and school officials called in the boy’s parents for a meeting.

“A different teacher in a different classroom saw some behavior that they felt was concerning, and they brought the child down to an office, had a meeting with school officials, called in the parents, and ultimately it was determined that he could go back into class,” Bouchard continued, though he declined to provide more details about the behavior the suspect displayed.

A probable cause hearing for the charges against the teen has been scheduled for Dec. 13, and a preliminary examination hearing has been set for Dec. 20.

Editor’s Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murders or suspected mass murderers who may have been seeking attention or infamy. Therefore, we will not be linking to other news coverage, as they may contain these details.

Continue Reading