Connect with us

Entertainment

Woman Who Accused Nicki Minaj’s Husband of Rape Details the Couple’s Alleged Efforts to Silence Her

Published

on

In her first televised interview, Jennifer Hough opened up about the alleged 1994 rape, saying she’s “tired of being afraid.”


Jennifer Hough’s Accusations Against Nicki Minaj and Kenneth Petty

A woman who is suing rapper Nicki Minaj and her husband Kenneth Petty for allegedly pressuring her to recant claims that Petty raped her in 1994 spoke out about her case Wednesday on “The Real.”

Jennifer Hough said she and Petty were both 16 at the time of the alleged rape. She claims she was walking to school when Petty led her into a home at knifepoint before assaulting her. He was charged with first-degree rape and eventually pleaded guilty to attempted rape. According to The New York Times, he spent four and a half years in prison.

In August, she filed a lawsuit claiming that after Petty failed to register as a sex offender last year, Minaj and Petty began repeatedly harassing and intimidating her into taking back her claim. Hough said that Minaj personally called her and offered to fly her to LA to talk, but Hough declined, trying to explain to Minaj that the assault really happened. 

Hough also said that both she and members of her family have been subject to calls and unsolicited visits from people she believes are associated with the couple. In some cases, those people allegedly offered hefty financial rewards if she recanted the rape claim. Hough said that at one point, an intermediary even had a prepared statement recanting the accusation and said she would receive $20,000 upon signing it. 

According to The Times, which viewed the lawsuit, Hough “has not worked since May of 2020 due to severe depression, paranoia, constant moving, harassment and threats from the defendants and their associates. She is currently living in isolation out of fear of retaliation.”

Hough Speaks Out

Now, she is speaking out against the couple and the intimidation she has allegedly endured as a result of their actions. 

“I’m tired of being afraid,” Hough said on “The Real.” “I feel like the actions that were taken in regards to this whole situation have put me in a different type of fear, at my age now, and it was wrong. And I don’t want to be afraid anymore.” 

Hough went on to describe the alleged rape in detail, oftentimes getting emotional when recalling that day. When asked if the four and a half years Petty spent behind bars felt like “justice,” she said she had never thought about her case that way because she had spent so many years blaming herself. 

“I just knew he did what he did and he went to jail and I had to leave my family,” she continued. “I had to leave my home. And I had to move away. So, yeah, I never really gave it much thought.” 

Minaj has largely defended her husband, whom she married in 2019. She previously wrote on Instagram that Petty was 15 and in a relationship with Hough at the time of the alleged rape. Hough said Minaj’s statement was not true and forced her to relive her trauma.

“I just felt woman to woman, that was wrong of her because I don’t know you,” Hough added. “And you don’t know me to know that that statement you put out to the world to be true. You have 150-something million followers. They all believed it.”

Why Hough Is Telling Her Story

Hough said the alleged harassment from Minaj and Petty has added another level of stress to her life. She claimed she has been threatened for turning down their offers and standing her ground on her story. 

The last incident was when one of their associates put $20,000 on my lap and I still kept saying ‘no,’” she said. “The last message I received was that I should have taken that money because they’re going to take that money to put on my head.” 

Hough said she is speaking out to let others know that this form of intimidation is wrong. 

“What they did to me and my family wasn’t okay and it wasn’t right,” Hough said. “And it doesn’t matter how much money you have. It doesn’t matter what your status is. You can’t intimidate people to make things go better for you.”

“I want my daughters to know that as they grow, as they experience life as they come in contact with friends, family, strangers whatever, that they’ll have the strength to know that they have a voice, and they should use it. And don’t ever let anybody try to silence them.”

See what others are saying: (The Hollywood Reporter) (The Daily Beast) (People)

Entertainment

Bruce Willis Denies Rumors He Sold His Likeness For Deepfake Use

Published

on

Deepfakes face criticism from Hollywood to social media.


Willis Debunks Rumors

Actor Bruce Willis denied rumors over the weekend that he sold his likeness to the deepfake company DeepCake. 

Willis agreed last year for his face to be used in a commercial for a Russian telecoms company. For this commercial, DeepCake digitally edited Willis’ face onto a Russian actor. This sparked rumors that Willis had sold the rights to his likeness for the company to use in future projects. 

However, both management for Willis and DeepCake itself denied any partnership or agreement for these rights.

“Bruce couldn’t sell anyone any rights, they are his by default,” DeepCake said.

Agreements for the AI generation of actors have been heard of before, however. Recently, actor James Earl Jones agreed for his voice to be technologically generated for the voice of Darth Vader in the Star Wars franchise. 

Deepfakes Online

This comes as deepfakes are facing mounting criticism online, including from prominent YouTube personality and author, Hank Green. He recently tweeted about a channel that uses similar deepfake technology and AI-voice generation to parody popular YouTube creators. He stressed his concern that while the channel in question may not be nefarious, this technology could end up being harmful. 

“There are ways to do this that would be much worse, more mean spirited, and more exploitative than this,” Green said. “And I’m very worried about what that will look like, because if this is working (and allowed), people will do it.”

Among other issues, Green mentioned these videos could abuse monetization and sponsorship opportunities while exploiting someone else’s face and brand. Green even implored YouTube to evaluate its terms of service as the popularity of deepfakes rise. 

See what others are saying: (BBC) (Mashable) (The Telegraph)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Twitch Faces Backlash After Booking Megan Thee Stallion At TwitchCon Amid Creator Pay Cuts

Published

on

The cut in revenue share has ignited severe backlash on Twitch, where users argue pay for creators should be increased, not slashed. 


Revenue Share Shake Up

Twitch users are criticizing the company for hiring artist Megan Thee Stallion to perform at TwitchCon just one week after announcing cutbacks to top creator pay.

Last week, the video and streaming platform said that starting in June of next year, some creators will receive less revenue from their subscriptions. While the standard split for subscription revenue is 50/50, some major streamers previously received a more favorable 70/30 share in premium agreement terms. 

Many creators have long argued that everyone should get that 70/30 share, but Twitch took a step in the opposite direction. In the future, streamers with premium terms will only get the 70/30 slice for their first $100,000 from subscription revenue. After that, they will get bumped down to the regular 50/50 cut. 

The company argued the move was necessary as the premium terms previously lacked transparency and consistency, insisting it tried to modify the policy in a way that impacted the least amount of creators. According to Twitch’s statement, 90% of streamers on standard agreements will not even be impacted by the change.

Still, this move outraged Twitch users who were furious the company was not investing more in the creators that bring so many viewers to its platform. Those frustrations were exacerbated on Wednesday when the company announced Megan Thee Stallion would make an appearance at TwitchCon, a weekend-long event set to take place in San Diego in early October. 

Backlash Continues to Mount

While no details of Megan Thee Stallion’s agreement to perform have been disclosed, one can assume she charges a pretty penny to book at an event of this nature. Critics argued that if Twitch is willing to spend money on her, it should be willing to spend it on its own streamers. 

“So Twitch can’t afford to pay their creators 70/30, can’t fix their media player that crashes after each ad, can’t enforce their policies so people aren’t doing inappropriate things on stream, but they can afford paying celebrities to promote their streaming site?” one person wrote. 

“It’s weird that a company that just announced a bunch of budget cuts due to infrastructure costs goes out and grabs an A-list musician instead of promoting their own musicians that run on their platform,” another person claimed.

“Instead of giving your creators a cut they deserve when they do so much work, this is what you do…?” one user asked. “Maybe give your creators a better deal instead of wasting their hard earned money on things we don’t even want.”

Twitch has not responded to the outrage, but Megan Thee Stallion was not the only music act the Amazon-owned service booked for the event. Kim Petras and Meet Me at the Altar will also take the stage at TwitchCon. 

The backlash comes as concerns have been mounting against Twitch for a plethora of reasons including creator pay, gambling streams, and more. 

In recent months, some of the platform’s biggest names have left Twitch in favor of rival services like YouTube Gaming. 

See what others are saying: (Dexerto) (The Verge) (Metro)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

“Dahmer” Series Breaks Netflix Records Amid Backlash For Exploiting Victims’ Stories

Published

on

Family members of some of the murderer’s victims say the program is “retraumatizing.”


“Dahmer” Lands Successful Week on Netflix

While criticisms mount against “Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story,” the true crime series broke Netflix’s record as the most-watched first week for a series debut.

According to data provided by the streaming giant, the Evan Peters-led show was watched for over 196 million hours between its release on Sept. 21 and Sept. 25.

“Dahmer” is the newest of several pieces of fiction and media based on the famous serial killer. Created by Ryan Murphy and Ian Brennan, the series quickly generated a lot of attention online, primarily from those concerned the show is exploiting a gruesome true story. 

Critics have echoed those fears, giving the show a mixed 50% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The “Critic’s Consensus” blurb on the site states that while the show is “seemingly self-aware of the peril in glorifying Jeffrey Dahmer” the story still “tilts this horror story into the realm of queasy exploitation.”

Victims’ Families Speak Out

The family of Errol Lindsey, one of Dahmer’s victims, has also spoken out against the series. In a viral tweet, Lindsey’s cousin Eric Perry said his family is “pissed about the show.”

“It’s retraumatizing over and over again, and for what?” he wrote. “How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?”

In much of the promotion for the series, Netflix claimed it would be told from the perspective of the victims. Perry slammed that narrative, noting that his family was never even contacted by the streamer about the project.

“So when they say they’re doing this ‘with respect to the victims’ or ‘honoring the dignity of the families’, no one contacts them,” he wrote. “My cousins wake up every few months at this point with a bunch of calls and messages and they know there’s another Dahmer show. It’s cruel.”

Lindsey’s sister, Rita Isbell, echoed that claim in an essay she wrote for Insider, noting that Netflix did not notify her of the show, or ask her any questions about her brother. 

She said that watching the show “felt like reliving it all over again.”

“It brought back all the emotions I was feeling back then,” she wrote. 

“It’s sad that they’re just making money off of this tragedy. That’s just greed,” she continued. 

Obsession With Dahmer

Controversy has also grown from some of the responses to the series, as many viewers have posted fan edits of the show that romanticize Dahmer. Some pair clips of Peters’ Dahmer with his victims to love songs or pop ballads, leaving a bad taste in the mouths of those who do not understand why someone would make content glorifying the killer. 

Others have responded to the show by calling Dahmer “hot” or posting thirst tweets about his mug shot. This has resulted in a backlash of its own. 

“Jeffrey Dahmer molested and murdered people, mostly black men and boys,” one person wrote. “So to see people making edits and thirst traps of him is a little off putting.”

“if I see anyone tweeting thirst tweets about Jeffrey Dahmer I’m immediately unfollowing,” another person said. “That’s so fuckin nasty.”

Concerns that this kind of media results in more people admiring Dahmer are also mounting in Milwaukee, where many of his crimes took place. According to TMZ, the city is considering creating something to honor the victims, but officials fear a physical memorial would turn into a “mecca” for Dahmer’s fans. 

See what others are saying: (Insider) (IndieWire) (Vox)

Continue Reading