Connect with us

Entertainment

Joe Rogan Slams CNN’s Coverage of His COVID-19 Diagnosis

Published

on

The popular podcaster questioned whether or not he should sue the network after it was critical of his choice to take ivermectin, a drug that is unproven at being effective against COVID-19.


Joe Rogan Slams CNN

Podcaster Joe Rogan slammed CNN Tuesday over the network’s coverage of his choice to take the controversial drug ivermectin to fight COVID-19. 

“Bro, do I have to sue CNN? They’re making shit up,” Rogan said in his return to his podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience.”

They keep saying I’m taking horse dewormer. I literally got it from a doctor,” he added. “They must know that’s a lie.”

Ivermectin is best known as a horse dewormer, but it is also approved in specific doses to treat certain parasites in humans. Many, primarily those who are unvaccinated, have started taking it under the false impression that it can either cure or prevent COVID; however, the FDA has repeatedly said the drug is not effective against the virus and has warned against people using it for this purpose. 

“The FDA has not authorized or approved ivermectin for use in preventing or treating COVID-19 in humans or animals,” the group said in a statement after cases of individuals poisoning themselves with the drug started making headlines. It also warned that the doses given to horses could be “highly toxic in humans.” 

Rogan faced a slew of backlash for touting the drug as one of his COVID remedies. CNN’s medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner said the podcaster was “causing a great deal of public disservice” by spreading misinformation. 

“He’s promoting, kind of a crazy jumble of, you know, sort of folk remedies and internet-prescribed drugs,” Reiner added. “It’s, again, dangerous now. He should have more sense.”

During other segments on CNN, various other panelists and health experts discussed his choice to take the unproven drug. 

“What they didn’t highlight is that I got better,” Rogan said Tuesday. “They are trying to make it seem as if I’m doing some wacky shit that’s completely ineffective. And CNN was saying that I’m a distributor of misinformation.” 

Rogan announced last week that he tested positive for the COVID and said he “threw the kitchen sink at” the virus to fight it off. In addition to ivermectin, he took monoclonal antibodies, Z-Pak, prednisone, and vitamin drips. He did not say whether or not he was vaccinated. 

In the past, Rogan has made other false claims about COVID. He faced severe backlash in the spring after suggesting young and healthy people do not need the vaccine. 

Rogan Touts More Misinformation

During his comeback podcast, Rogan continued his streak of spouting off faulty information about the pandemic. At one point, he claimed that the use of ivermectin had been cleared in Japan. While the chair of the Tokyo Medical Association suggested the drug could be effective, the group does not represent the government and the government has not approved ivermectin. 

Rogan also spouted conspiracy theories regarding treatments and the COVID-19 vaccine. 

“One of the speculations involves the emergency use authorization for the vaccines,” Rogan said. “That, in order for there to be an emergency use authorization, there has to be no treatment for a disease. So because there is this treatment in ivermectin, and there’s other treatments too, so because of this there is a lot of pushback against potential treatments.”  

Rogan provided no evidence to back this claim. His argument further collapses on itself because the FDA has in fact backed COVID-19 treatments, including monoclonal antibodies. 

He then cited a grand conspiracy that claims that  pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots in the effort to suppress the effort to approve these “cures.” Though, it is worth noting that Merck, which makes ivermectin, is one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Back in February, it said it does not believe the drug is effective against COVID-19.

See what others are saying: (Vice) (The Hill) (Complex)

Entertainment

Joe Rogan Holds Spot As Top Podcaster on Spotify in 2022

Published

on

Earlier this year, some threatened to boycott the platform over Rogan and the health misinformation he shared on his show. 


For the third year in a row, “The Joe Rogan Experience” was the number one podcast on Spotify, the company revealed in its yearly “Wrapped” feature on Wednesday. 

“The Joe Rogan Experience” became exclusive to Spotify in 2020 after the host signed a lucrative deal with the audio streaming platform. “Call Her Daddy” by Alex Cooper, also a Spotify exclusive, followed Rogan on the charts. “Anything Goes With Emma Chamberlain,” which will become exclusive to the service next year, came in third.

Rogan’s podcast has made several headlines over the last year as the podcaster faced backlash from medical professionals and major musicians for touting COVID-19 misinformation. Niel Young asked to have his music removed from Spotify in protest of the company’s deal with Rogan, and several other artists soon followed. 

Just a few days later, several clips resurfaced of Rogan using a racial slur. Many called to boycott Spotify for platforming Rogan, but his popularity did not seem to fade by the year’s end. 

There are over four million podcasts available to stream on Spotify and over the last year, the platform has expanded into new markets. 

It also has started launching podcasts from several high-profile figures, including Kim Kardashian’s “The System,” and Meghan Markle’s “Archetypes.” Both of those debuted mid-year and did not crack the annual top-five list.

See what others are saying: (Spotify) (Variety) (Forbes)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Comedian Gives David Beckham Ultimatum: Exit Role at Qatar World Cup Or £10K in Donations Gets Shredded

Published

on

“Not just the money, but also your status as a gay icon will be shredded,” Joe Lycett said in a video.


Pressure on Beckham

Comedian Joe Lycett posted a video on Sunday saying he would shred £10,000 if soccer star David Beckham does not pull out of his deal to be an ambassador for the Qatar World Cup. 

Ahead of the event, which kicks off on Nov. 20, many have been raising concerns about human rights abuses in Qatar. The country criminalizes homosexuality, and it can be punishable by death. 

Beckham’s deal to represent the country was reportedly worth £10 million, and many are frustrated that the athlete took such a big check from a country with known anti-LGBTQ laws. In his video, Lycett noted that Beckham has been openly supportive of his gay fans and was the first premiere footballer to do a photoshoot with a gay magazine. 

In an attempt to get Beckham to bow out of his role, Lycett, who is pansexual, offered an ultimatum.  

“If you end your relationship with Qatar, I’ll donate this £10,000 of my own money, that’s a grand for every million you’re reportedly getting, to charities that support queer people in football,” he stated. “However, if you do not, at midday next Sunday, I will throw this money into a shredder.” 

“Not just the money, but also your status as a gay icon will be shredded.” 

Beckham’s Reputation “Shredded”

Lycett said he would livestream the money shredding if that’s what the situation comes to. If Beckham does not back out of the World Cup, Lycett noted he will be forced to “commit what might be a crime,” as destroying legal tender is against the law in the U.K.

“Although even then, I reckon I’ll get off more lightly than I would if I got caught whacking off a lad in Doha,” Lycett quipped.

Lycett then linked to a website titled https://benderslikebeckham.com/, which includes a written version of his message, as well as a countdown to when he will either shred the cash or send it to a non-profit. 

Lycett is not the only U.K star to raise concerns about issues in Qatar. Singer Dua Lipa shut down speculation that she would be performing at the World Cup over the weekend by saying she has no intentions to visit the country until “it has fulfilled all the human rights pledges it made when it won the right to host” the event. 

Other stars, however, including BTS’s Jung Kook, are slated to take the stage. 

See what others are saying: (CNN) (The Hollywood Reporter) (BBC News)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Federal Judge Dismisses Dave Portnoy’s Lawsuit Against Insider

Published

on

The online personality called the decision “disappointing” but not “overly surprising.” 


Lawsuit Tossed

A federal judge in Massachusetts dismissed a defamation lawsuit Barstool Sports founder Dave Portnoy filed against Business Insider, several outlets reported on Monday. 

According to a report from The Washington Post, Chief Judge F. Dennis Saylor IV decided that Portnoy did not successfully prove that the news outlet acted with “actual malice” or “reckless disregard for the truth” when it published two articles about his sexual relationships. 

The first article, published in Nov. 2021, detailed stories from women who said they had “violent” and traumatizing sex with Portnoy. A second piece was published in Feb. 2022 and includes sources who said Portnoy filmed sexual encounters without consent.

Portnoy has repeatedly denied the allegations and maintained that the sexual encounters were consensual and positive. He sued Insider in February following the publication of the second article. 

Per The Post, Saylor tossed the complaint because it did “not allege that Insider’s anonymous sources were fake, or that the articles misrepresented what the women told [Insider’s reporters].”

“Furthermore, plaintiff admits that Insider investigated its first article for months, requested an interview with him, sought his comment before publication, included his denials, and hyperlinked to his news conference and his lawyer’s full denial letter,” the judge’s decision continued. 

Saylor also noted that Insider corroborated their sources’ claims with photos, texts, medical reports, receipts, and accounts from their friends. 

While Portnoy argued that these stories were an invasion of privacy as they pertained to his private sex life and the women involved were not his employees, Insider held that their claims were relevant.

“When a rich, famous, and powerful person uses their power in a way that is harmful to other people, it is newsworthy,” Nicholas Carlson, Insider’s Global Editor-in-Chief, previously wrote in an editor’s note. 

Saylor largely agreed with that, saying that issues of consent and power are part of “legitimate public interest,” including in instances that arise outside “the employment context.”

Portnoy Responds

An Insider spokesperson told The Post that the outlet is “pleased and gratified that the judge dismissed his complaint.”

“We knew from the start that our reporting was careful, fair, and accurate, but it’s gratifying to see that validated in court,” Julia Black, one of the reporters named in the lawsuit, tweeted in response to the news. 

For his part, however, Portnoy has criticized the judge’s decision, calling it “disappointing” but not “overly surprising.” 

“Every single lawyer said it was an uphill battle, every legal expert said it was an uphill battle, that it’s almost impossible for a public figure to prove defamation,” he said in a video posted to Twitter. “The laws are stacked against me.”

Portnoy said that he turned in texts and other evidence he believed would prove the sexual encounters were positive but claimed “the judge didn’t even really look at the evidence.” 

He later read an excerpt from the judge’s decision that said Portnoy “can’t seek to prove actual malice by challenging statements that defendants did not publish.” 

“In other words: Business Insider did not publish any of my shit, I can’t talk about it, it’s not part of the case,” Portnoy explained. “It’s inadmissible.” 

He said he could appeal the decision if he wanted, but added he was not optimistic about how that would turn out for him. He floated the idea of suing the sources themselves, noting he thinks he would stand a better chance in such a case.

See what others are saying: (The Washington Post) (The New York Post)

Continue Reading