Connect with us


Ship Stuck in Suez Canal Has Finally Been Freed



  • The Suez Canal was finally cleared Monday morning, nearly a week after a stuck ship forced it to shut down.
  • The Japanese-owned ship, one of the largest in the world, was on its way to Felixstowe, U.K., when it hit the right bank of the canal and completely blocked it.
  • Initial estimates indicated that it could take weeks to free the vessel, but a large team of ground crews and tugboats managed to complete the task sooner and pushed it into the middle of the canal facing the correct direction.
  • According to data from Lloyd’s List, the canal’s closing has held up $9.6 billion worth of goods every day and forced some companies to reroute their ships around the southern tip of Africa, adding 3,500 miles and 12 days to their journey.

End of an Era

Internet users must bid farewell to their Suez Canal memes now that Egyptian crews have managed to free the massive vessel that has blocked one of the most important shipping passages in the world for about a week.

Crews successfully freed the Japanese-owned ship, named Ever Given, from the Suez Canal Monday morning. The Ever Given can accommodate 20,000 metal shipping containers and found itself perpendicular to the waterway after it hit the right bank of the Suez Canal on Tuesday.

Over the last week, estimates for how long it would take to dislodge the Ever Given varied wildly. The Suez Canal Authority initially thought the ship could be released in a matter of days, but later changed that estimate to weeks. That changed again after a team of tugboats and ground crews managed to move the Ever Given slightly and throughout Sunday night and by Monday morning they managed to push the ship into the middle of the channel.

The economic impact from the Ever Given is hard to understate. According to data from Lloyd’s List, a prominent shipping journal, roughly $9.6 billion worth of goods has been held up by the blockage each day. Satellite data shows that at least 150 ships are waiting on both sides of the canal, as well as the Great Bitter Lake in the middle of it, to get past the Ever Given. Some of those ships contain livestock, which has raised fears over their well-being during the delay, while others contain perishable goods.

Since it was unclear how long it would take the Ever Given to get unstuck, many companies rerouted their ships around the Cape of Good Hope. That route hasn’t been widely used by international shipping to go between Europe and Asia since the Suez Canal was built in the 1800’s.

Safety concerns have been posed for those ships because the alternate route forces ships to sail down the coast of Somalia and the Horn of Africa, which is a hotbed for piracy. Beyond that region being particularly dangerous, West African waters are also now considered among the most dangerous for shipping.

Additionally, it adds about 3,500 miles, 12 days to journeys between Europe and Asian ports, and hundreds of thousands in fuel costs.

Problems Likely to Continue

Unblocking the canal was only the first headache to tackle because all those ships waiting to pass through the canal still need to do so and such a traffic jam is expected to take days or weeks. These ships would normally arrive a handful-at-a-time to their ports, especially those going to Europe. Now, they are likely to arrive all at the same time, leading to further delays waiting for anchorage and a place to unload their cargo.

The Ever Given and the company that owns it may suffer some embarrassment from the situation, which has received more attention than normal for such a shipping disaster.

In the end, Egypt will probably have to answer the most questions.

The country paid $8 billion to widen the canal in 2015 in response to ships getting bigger and bigger. Those renovations only applied to certain sections of the canal and didn’t include the region where the Ever Given became stuck. That has prompted criticism from some shipping companies which argue that the canal needs to be widened across its entirety to prevent disasters like this. At the same time, there are concerns over the size of mega-container ships and the possible impacts they can have if they become involved in similar accidents.

See What Others Are Saying: (NBC News) (New York Times) (Wall Street Journal)


95-Year-Old Woman Dies After Police Tases Her in Nursing Home



The officer involved was suspended with pay and charged with assault.

A 95-year-old Australian woman whom police tasered in a nursing home last week has reportedly died from her injuries.

Clare Nowland, who had dementia and required a walking frame to stand up and move, was living at the Yallambee Lodge in Cooma in southeastern Australia.

At about 4:15 a.m. on May 17, police and paramedics responded to a report of a woman standing outside her room with a steak knife.

They encountered Nowland, then reportedly tried to negotiate with her for several minutes, but she didn’t drop the knife.

The five-foot-two, 95-pound woman walked toward the two officers “at a slow pace,” police said at a news conference, so one of them tasered her.

She fell to the floor and reportedly suffered a fractured skull and a severe brain bleed, causing her to be hospitalized in critical condition.

Nowland passed away in a hospital surrounded by her family, the New South Wales police confirmed in a statement today.

After a week-long investigation, the police force also said that the senior constable involved would appear in court next week to face charges of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and common assault.

NSW police procedure states that tasers should not be used against elderly or disabled people absent exceptional circumstances.

Following the incident, community members, activists, and disability rights advocates expressed bewilderment and anger at what they called an unnecessary use of force, and some are now questioning why law enforcement took so long to prosecute the officer involved.

See what others are saying: (Reuters) (The New York Times) (CNN)

Continue Reading


U.K. Police Face Backlash After Arresting Anti-Monarchy Protesters



London Mayor Sadiq Khan said that some of the arrests “raise questions” and “investigations are ongoing.”

The Public Order Act

A controversial protest crackdown law in the U.K. is facing criticism after dozens of anti-monarchy protesters were arrested during the coronation ceremony in London over the weekend.

The law, dubbed the “Public Order Act” was passed roughly a week ahead of the coronation for King Charles III. It gives police more power to restrict protesters and limits the tactics protesters can use in public spaces. It was condemned by human rights groups upon its passing, and is facing a new round of heat after 52 people were arrested over coronation protests on Saturday.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said protesters were arrested for public order offenses, breach of the peace and conspiracy to cause a public nuisance. The group said it gave advance warning that its “tolerance for any disruption, whether through protest or otherwise, will be low and that we would deal robustly with anyone intent on undermining the celebration.”

It is currently unclear how many of those arrested were detained specifically for violating the Public Order Act, however, some of those arrested believe the new law was used against them.

“Make no mistake. There is no longer a right to peaceful protest in the UK,” Graham Smith, the CEO of anti-monarchy group Republic tweeted after getting arrested. “I have been told many times the monarch is there to defend our freedoms. Now our freedoms are under attack in his name.”

An Attempt to “Diminish” Protests

During a BBC Radio interview, Smith also said he believes the dozens of arrests were premeditated. 

“There was nothing that we did do that could possibly justify even being detained and arrested and held,” Smith claimed. 

“The whole thing was a deliberate attempt to disrupt and diminish our protest.”

Yasmine Ahmed, the U.K. Director of Human Rights Watch, also tweeted that the arrests were “disgraceful.”

“These are scenes you’d expect to see in Russia not the UK,” she wrote. 

When asked about the controversy, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told reporters officers should  do “what they think is best” in an apparent show of support for the Metropolitan Police. 

For his part, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he is looking into the matter.

“Some of the arrests made by police as part of the Coronation event raise questions and whilst investigations are ongoing, I’ve sought urgent clarity from Met leaders on the action taken,” Khan tweeted.

See what others are saying: (The Guardian) (CNN) (The Washington Post)

Continue Reading


Foreign Nationals Make Mad Dash out of Sudan as Conflict Rages



The conflict’s death toll has surpassed 420, with nearly 4,000 people wounded.

As the 10-day-long power struggle between rival generals tore Sudan apart, foreign governments with citizens in the country scrambled to evacuate them over the weekend.

On Sunday, U.S. special forces landed in the capital Khartoum and carried out nearly 100 American diplomats along with their families and some foreign nationals on helicopters.

An estimated 16,000 Americans, however, remain in the country and U.S. officials said in a statement that a broader evacuation mission would be too dangerous.

Christopher Maier, the assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity warfare, said in a statement that the Pentagon may assist U.S. citizens find safe routes out of Sudan.

“[The Defense Department] is at present considering actions that may include use of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities to be able to observe routes and detect threats,” he said.

Germany and France also reportedly pulled around 700 people out of the country.

More countries followed with similar efforts, including the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Canada, China, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and Indonesia.

Yesterday, a convoy carrying some 700 United Nations, NGO, and embassy staff drove to Port Sudan, a popular extraction point now that the airport in Khartoum has closed due to fighting.

Reports of gunmen prowling the capital streets and robbing people trying to escape, as well as looters breaking into abandoned homes and shops, have persuaded most residents to stay indoors.

Heavy gunfire, airstrikes, and artillery shelling have terrorized the city despite several proposed ceasefires.

Over the weekend, the reported death toll topped 420, with nearly 4,000 people injured, though both numbers are likely to be undercounted.

See what others are saying: (The Guardian) (The New York Times) (The Washington Post)

Continue Reading