Connect with us

Entertainment

David Dobrik Uploads Second Apology Video Over Vlog Squad Sexual Assault Allegations

Published

on

  • More major brands, including SeatGeek, said they will no longer be working with YouTuber David Dobrik after Dom Zeglaitis, a member of Dobrik’s Vlog Squad, was accused of raping a girl during a night of filming with the group in 2018.
  • Late Monday night, Dobrik issued his second video response to the claim, this time saying he believes the accuser and should have never uploaded the video he filmed the night of the alleged assault. 
  • Dobrik also apologized for past offensive content he made and for supporting Zeglaitis in the past when other women accused him of sexual misconduct.
  • He said he will be taking a break from social media and plans to change the way his content is made in the future to ensure that people in his videos can communicate discomfort in a safe and secure manner.

Brands Pull Partnerships with David Dobrik

YouTuber David Dobrik uploaded a video late Monday night once again addressing allegations that a member of his Vlog Squad raped a 20-year-old woman in 2018 while filming a video for the group.

Last week, Insider published a lengthy investigation detailing the alleged account of a woman who said Dobrik’s friend, Dom Zeglaitis, raped her when she was too drunk to consent. Zeglaitis, known by his fans as “Durte Dom,” has not addressed the allegations, but since they came to light, Dobrik has lost partnerships with major brands. He also stepped away from his biggest business venture yet, Dispo, a photo-sharing social media app that he co-founded. 

As of Monday, several more companies told Insider that they will not be working with Dobrik in the future, including HBO Max, Facebook, Audible, Bumble and more. SeatGeek, one of Dobrik’s most notable partnerships, also told TubeFilter on Monday that it is “not currently working with David Dobrik or the Vlog Squad, nor do we have any future planned campaigns.”  

This wave of backlash also comes after several former members of the Vlog Squad started speaking out about its toxic and “cult-like” culture. One former member, Seth Francois, said he was sexually assaulted during two “prank” videos Dobrik orchestrated to trick Francois into kissing fellow Vlog Squadder Jason Nash, who was 45-years-old at the time.

Dobrik previously addressed the rape allegation, Francois’ story, and other controversies within the Vlog Squad in a video titled “Let’s Talk” that was slammed online. Many found the apology to be too brief and insincere. Others were upset it was uploaded to his smaller podcast channel as opposed to his main channel. 

Dobrik Addresses Allegations

Dobrik’s second apology, by contrast, is over seven-minute-long video and was shared on his main channel. In it, he acknowledged that his first video fell short and took more ownership of issues within the Vlog Squad. He said that while he was unaware of the alleged rape, he should have been more responsible and involved so that he could prevent situations like that from happening. He also said he should not have posted the video that was filmed that night. 

“I fully believe the woman who came out against Dom and said she was raped by him, as was reported,” he said. “The next day I got consent to post the video. Even though I got consent to post that video I should have never posted it. 

“And what I understand now and I didn’t understand before is that she sent that text because she felt like she had to, not because she wanted to. And that’s f**ked up and I’m sorry,” he continued.

In Insider’s piece, the accuser said she felt pressured to go along with jokes made by members of the Vlog Squad and felt like she could not say “no” to them. In his video, Dobrik said that he did not previously understand that there was an uneven power dynamic that outsiders would feel when they came to film with the Vlog Squad. 

“I want to apologize to her and her friends for ever putting them in an environment that I enabled that made them feel like their safety and values were compromised,” he said. 

“People felt like they had to stay silent for the sake of my video. And that’s not right and it’s f**ked up and I’m sorry.” 

He also addressed previous sexual harassment allegations made against Zeglaitis in the past. Specifically, he apologized to YouTuber Ally Hardesty who said that Zeglaitis groped her and forcibly kissed her in 2017. Zeglaitis eventually made a video addressing his inappropriate behavior with women, which Dobrik supported by commenting that he was “proud” of his friend for “owning up” to his behavior. Now, he says he regrets taking Zeglaitis’ side. 

“I couldn’t wrap my head around a childhood friend of mine doing this to people and actually hurting people and I’m sorry for that,” Dobrik added. “Not only did I discredit you Ally, but I platformed Dom. And not only did I platform Dom, I platformed the subject of sexual assault in a negative way where I made jokes about it.” 

He said that in 2019, when he started to understand how certain power dynamics were unfair, he began to distance himself from Zeglaitis and stopped making content with him, but fell short of reaching out to the women who had accused him of inappropriate behavior. He apologized for never contacting them.

Dobrik also addressed other offensive content he had made in the past and took ownership for what he had previously described as “bad jokes” that “missed the mark” in his initial apology.

“Before my content shifted to be responsible and positive, I said things that were really offensive and I called them ‘bad jokes’ and I can’t even call them ‘bad jokes,’” he explained. “That was cowardly of me to say in that last apology that ‘I missed the mark’ because it’s fucking gross and I’m sorry.” 

Dobrik said he will be taking a break from social media and wants to change the way his production is structured when he returns. 

“I want to be able to have a place of checks and balances, I want to have HR, and I want people to be able to communicate discomfort in a way that is comfortable to them,” he said. 

Other Vlog Squad Members Speak Out

Several people in Dobrik’s circle also responded to the allegations on Monday, including his former assistant and business partner, Natalie Mariduena.

“I’m upset and angry and do not condone the behavior detailed in the article or any sexual misconduct/abuse for that matter,” she wrote. “I want to make it clear that I acknowledge, hear and support those who came forward and I stand by the victims.”

Vlog Squadders Erin Gilfoy and Carly Incontro posted a video on Monday saying that while they were not there the night the alleged rape occurred, they hope everyone involved in the situation takes accountability.

“We think it’s disgusting what happened and none of that is okay. I just hope that her abuser gets to face the entire full consequence of all of this,” Incontro said. 

“I hope that [the accuser] is healing from this situation and I hope that she is able to get justice and the help to just heal from it all,” Gilfoy added later in the video.

See what others are saying: (Insider) (TubeFilter) (Washington Post)

Entertainment

Anti-Vaxxers Spread Conspiracy Theory Claiming Bob Saget Died From COVID-19 Booster Shot

Published

on

This comes less than a month after anti-vaxxers spread a similar false rumor about comedian Betty White.


Anti-Vaxxers Spread Unfounded Theory About Bob Saget’s Death

Anti-vax and right-wing conspiracy theorists are spreading unfounded claims that comedian Bob Saget died as a result of receiving his COVID-19 booster shot.

Saget, best known for his role as Danny Tanner on “Full House,” died this week at the age of 65 in Orlando, Florida. The Orange County Sheriff’s office said they were responding to “a call about an unresponsive man in a hotel room” and pronounced Saget dead on the scene at the Ritz-Carlton. They found “no signs of foul play or drug use” and some reports have since claimed that it appears Saget may have died in his sleep. No further cause of death has been released. 

Not long after the news of his death, anti-vaxxers begin circulating baseless claims that a COVID-19 booster shot killed Saget. Saget said he received his booster shot on a Dec. 13 episode of his podcast. Many have shared a clip where he talks about the booster to suggest that was his cause of death.

COVID-19 vaccines and boosters have been proven to be both safe and effective. That, of course, has not stopped conspiracy theorists from endlessly touting false assertions about unproven side effects and responses.

Claims about Saget’s death being vaccine-related can be found on Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, Telegram, and other social media platforms. Many of the posts, despite containing clear misinformation, have remained on these sites for several days without being taken down. 

Candace Owens Promotes Booster Theory

The conspiracy found a large platform this week when conservative news personality Candace Owens discussed it on her Daily Wire talk show. Owens has repeatedly spoken against COVID-19 vaccines and uses her platform to regularly share all kinds of political and cultural misinformation. 

During the Jan. 11 episode of “Candace,” which was flagged by Media Matters, Owens said the public has a “right to demand answers” about the circumstances around Saget’s death and the booster. 

“I’m just not on Big Pharma’s payroll and I refuse to peddle in their lies. And so to that end, today, I’m going to point out another truth and it will likely be deemed a conspiracy theory until it’s not,” she said. “There are too many healthy individuals, like Bob Saget, who we know have received their vaccinations, who are dropping dead, suddenly and unexpectedly, with no further explanation. Healthy athletes, young students in their physical prime — the majority of them males — dropping dead suddenly and unexpectedly in the middle of games from heart issues.”

Owens continued to peddle anti-vax rhetoric regarding the media and vaccine mandates. She also spewed unsubstantiated suggestions that “healthy men are dying” because of vaccines. 

“All of this to say I don’t know why a healthy man, who was in the middle of a comedy tour, suddenly and unexpectedly drops dead in his hotel room,” she continued. “But I do know that we have a right to ask the question. All of us do. In fact, when the entire world has suddenly and unexpectedly been prescribed an injection that we don’t need, it is not only our right to ask questions but also our right to demand answers.”

Anti-Vax Misinformation Has Found A Large Platform

Not even a month before Saget’s death, anti-vaxxers likewise falsely claimed that comedian and actress Betty White died from receiving her COVID-19 booster. White passed at the age of 99, just weeks before her 100th birthday. According to her death certificate, she died from a stroke she had six days before her death on Dec. 31. 

After people started falsely claiming the booster caused her death, White’s agent released a statement clarifying these rumors were not true. 

“Betty died peacefully in her sleep at her home,” Jeff Witjas told People Magazine. “People are saying her death was related to getting a booster shot three days earlier but that is not true. She died of natural causes. Her death should not be politicized — that is not the life she lived.”

Media platforms have struggled to control the swelling amount of misinformation users constantly spread, specifically regarding the pandemic and vaccinations. While many sites have promised to remove, flag, or fact-check incorrect posts, anyone who wants to find anti-vax information will have an easy time doing so. 

This week, a group of doctors and medical workers urged Spotify to lay out a misinformation policy, citing the false claims Joe Rogan has repeatedly made about vaccines on his podcast. Several international fact-checking organizations also recently demanded that YouTube do more to fight disinformation on its service. Over the last year, citizens and politicians have asked that Twitter, Facebook, and Google do more to slow the spread of pandemic-related misinformation.

“While we understand that your companies have implemented policies regarding the removal of vaccine-related misinformation and dedicated resources to stop the spread of misinformation, we believe more must be done,” a group of Democratic senators wrote in a letter to the three company’s CEOs. “It is imperative that you be transparent about the amount of harmful misinformation that appears on your platforms and the effectiveness of your efforts to remove this content, so that public health organizations and experts can respond appropriately.”

See what others are saying: (Insider) (The Daily Beast) (The Daily Dot)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kim Kardashian, Floyd Mayweather, and Others Sued Over Alleged EthereumMax Crypto Scam

Published

on

EthereumMax executives and partners are being accused of sharing “misleading promotions and celebrity endorsements” in order to “artificially increase the interest in and price” of the coin.


Lawsuit Alleging Crypto Scam Filed in California

Reality star Kim Kardashian, boxer Floyd Mayweather, and former NBA star Paul Pierce are among several celebrities and executives being sued for allegedly misleading investors into a pump-and-dump crypto scam.

The class-action lawsuit was filed Friday in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California by New York resident Ryan Huegerich. Huegerich brought the complaint on behalf of himself and others who claim to have lost money after investing in the coin EthereumMax between May 14, 2021 and June 27, 2021.

Kardashian, Mayweather, and Pierce are among a slew of people with substantial followings who promoted EthereumMax in the spring and summer of 2021. Pierce tweeted about the coin, saying he “made more money with this crypto in the past month” than he did with ESPN in a year. Kardashian touted the cryptocurrency in an Instagram story post that included a link for her followers to “swipe up to join the E-Max community.”

Mayweather drew attention to EthereumMax during his highly-anticipated fight against YouTuber Logan Paul, which accepted the coin as payment for tickets to the event. During the match, he wore shorts with the coin’s name and logo. Mayweather also endorsed the coin during a Bitcoin conference in Miami, Florida. 

Plaintiffs Allege Stars Participated in Pump-And-Dump Scheme

The plaintiffs argued that the three stars, along with several others, promoted the coin with false information. According to the lawsuit, the defendants touted “the ability for investors to make significant returns due to the favorable ‘tokenomics’ of the EMAX Tokens” in order to sell their portions for a pump-and-dump profit.

The Company’s executives, collaborating with several celebrity promotors, (a) made false or misleading statements to investors about EthereumMax through social media advertisements and other promotional activities and (b) disguised their control over EthereumMax and a significant percent of the EMAX Tokens that were available for public trading during the Relevant Period,” the lawsuit said.

“The misleading promotions and celebrity endorsements were able to artificially increase the interest in and price of the EMAX Tokens during the Relevant Period, causing investors to purchase these losing investments at inflated prices,” the suit continued.

The plaintiffs slammed the EthereumMax coin as a “speculative digital token created by a mysterious group of cryptocurrency developers.” According to the lawsuit, the coin “has no connection” to the popular cryptocurrency Ethereum, but uses the name in an effort to “mislead investors into believing that the EMAX Tokens were a part of the Ethereum network (when they are not).”

A spokesperson for EthereumMax condemned the allegations in a statement to The Wall Street Journal.

“The deceptive narrative associated with the recent allegations is riddled with misinformation,” the spokesperson said.

Kardashian, Mayweather, and Pierce have not responded publicly to the lawsuit. 

See what others are saying: (The Wall Street Journal) (CNBC) (BBC News)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cardi B’s Defamation Suit Against YouTuber Goes to Trial

Published

on

Cardi B claims the YouTuber “became obsessed with slandering and harassing” her.


Cardi B Alleges YouTuber Harmed Her Reputation

The trial for a defamation case rapper Cardi B brought against an entertainment YouTuber began Monday in Atlanta, Georgia.

In the lawsuit, Cardi claims that Latasha Kebe, who is known online as UnwineWithTashaK, repeatedly made false statements in an effort to destroy the “Up” singer’s reputation. The suit alleges that Kebe told her YouTube following that Cardi had worked as a prostitute, used cocaine, cheated on her husband, and had contracted STDs like herpes and HPV.

Kebe reached one million subscribers last week. Her videos get anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000 views. 

Cardi has called the purportedly unfounded statements “degrading and harassing.” She says that Kebe began spreading the misinformation in 2018 and has since made dozens of videos furthering those claims. 

Kebe became obsessed with slandering and harassing [Cardi],” the lawsuit says per Rolling Stone, which obtained a copy of the document. “In the 16 months preceding the filing of this lawsuit, Kebe put out at least 38 videos regarding [the rapper].”

What Will Be Argued in Court?

Kebe has denied the accusations and previously countersued, alleging that Cardi encouraged her fans to harass her online. A judge dismissed the suit over a lack of evidence. 

According to Billboard, the trial is expected to last two weeks. It is unknown if Cardi will have to take the witness stand herself. 

Michael S. Overing, a lawyer and defamation expert not involved in the case, told Rolling Stone that Cardi has good odds of winning her case.

Cardi probably has a pretty good shot at this one,” he said, noting she had provided “very specific factual statements” that could potentially be “readily proven false.”

“But the problem with these lawsuits, traditionally, is that it’s very hard to prove that you suffered actual damages,” he continued. “This is where the question of actual malice comes in.” 

Overing, among other experts, believes that much of this case will come down to whether or not the jury believes that Kebe acted with ill-intent. This means that in order to win the case, the musician’s team will likely have to prove that Kebe knew the claims were false when she spread them.

See what others are saying: (Billboard) (Rolling Stone)

Continue Reading