Connect with us

Industry

David Dobrik’s Dispo App Gets Review Bombed Following Sexual Assault Allegations

Published

on

  • Dispo, a new social media app by YouTuber David Dobrik, is facing a slew of negative reviews as Dobrik continues to remain silent about sexual assault allegations from former Vlog Squad member Seth Francois.
  • Francois recently opened up about the trauma he experienced after Dobrik twice tricked him into kissing fellow Vlog Squad member Jason Nash on camera.
  • Another member of Dobrik’s group, Scotty Sire, incited more outrage last week after calling Francois a liar in a video defending Dobrik and Nash.

Dispo Review Bombed

David Dobrik’s new social media app Dispo is being review-bombed amid allegations that the YouTuber orchestrated a prank, which resulted in the sexual assault of one of his former Vlog Squad members, Seth Francois.

In 2017 and 2018, Francois, 26, was featured in two of Dobrik’s videos where he was pranked into making out with fellow Vlog Squader Jason Nash, 47. Last month, Francois spoke about the trauma he has experienced as a result of those situations, also telling a variety of media outlets that both happened under false pretexts and without his consent. 

Despite growing calls to do so, Dobrik and Nash have yet to respond. With the silence, frustrated fans have now begun sharing screenshots of their one-star app store Dispo reviews that call on Dobrik and Nash to take accountability for the pranks against Francois.

As of Monday morning, the app has over 1,500 reviews with a 3.1-star rating, with nearly the same amount of one-star reviews as five-star reviews. 

Scotty Sire Defends Dobrik and Nash

The review bombing also comes after Vlog Squad member Scotty Sire posted a video Thursday defending Dobrik from Francois’ allegations. 

Near the beginning of the video, Sire shares an already circulated clip of Dobrik asking for Francois’ consent for a second kissing prank.

Do I have permission to try to prank you again and get you to make out with Jason?” Dobrik asks in the clip.

“I’m very confused by that because how the hell could you be so confident to tell me that I have to consent to something that I’m not going to know what I’m going to do?” Francois says.

Many have lodged criticism against Dobrik via this clip in particular by noting that consent doesn’t work the way he seems to suggest it does. For example, a person can’t ask someone to consent to a future event they don’t know about.

Nonetheless, Sire claimed that “the clip was cut short to not actually show Seth giving his consent but show David asking for the consent.” 

According to Sire, that footage exists but was not shown in the video Dobrik uploaded to YouTube. 

“This is from a period of time where David was always at my house editing,” Sire said, “and I very vividly remember when he was editing that clip, there was a clip in there, of Seth agreeing and giving his permission to film this bit again. He’s like, ‘There’s no way you’re going to get it on me again. There’s no way you’re going to get me again, so go ahead. Go for it.’”

Sire does not provide that clip in his video to back up his claims. 

Meanwhile, Seth himself has claimed that after the camera was turned off, he explicitly asked David not to pull another kissing prank on him.

Moreover, even if Seth agreed, some have argued that David was in a position of power and Seth may have felt pressured to do as he said or risk not being in future videos. In fact, that’s a fear Seth himself has even touched on in interviews. 

Sire Claims Francois Asked for a Third Kissing Prank

Notably, Sire also shared a clip from Dobrik that he claimed is proof Francois requested to do a third kissing prank.

“Guys, this is a text from Seth from about two years ago,” Dorbik says while off-cam in the clip. “He goes, ‘Yo, bro, I was thinkin about it. I’m down for another kissing sketch.’ I said, ‘haha, what do you mean?’ He goes, ‘Lol I don’t really care as long as u clout me up. I’m not gay just don’t care lol.’”

Dobrik then plays an audio message that appears to be from Francois where he says, “I mean, yeah. I mean, I don’t know. It’s not really a big deal. I mean, it’s the same shit. Just, I don’t know… more open-minded.”

While notable if later confirmed to be 100% authentic, critics have noted that even if Francois did directly ask for a third prank, this still never shows him asking for or consenting to the first two pranks, which are the ones in question. 

Others also emphasized that this time, Francois says he’s “more open-minded,” with many interpreting that as him not being comfortable with the previous two pranks.

In fact, as Francois told Rogue Rocket, “The ‘audio’ clip and ‘text’ that is surfacing the internet is a manipulation to misinterpret my trauma and experiences. This ‘audio’ further concludes I did not consent to those published video.”

As further proof that Francois was not comfortable with the first prank, many online have shared a clip of Dobrik and Nash joking about the incident on an old podcast.

“I’m like, yeah Seth, just don’t hold back,” Dobrik says. “You can make out as much as you want, have as much tongue as you want. Just keep kissing her. But what Seth didn’t know is that I replaced Corinna with Jason.” 

Dobrik and Nash even seem to acknowledge that they were aware of the consequences this could potentially result in for Francois. 

“His friends are probably going to chew him out for that for the next like, 3 to five years of his life,” Dobrik says in the audio.

“Well, as Seth tells it, homosexuality is not so accepted in his, where he comes from,” Nash says.

“Seth is from Compton,” David responds. “It’s literally the perfect set up. Like a guy from Compton, and I made him make out with another, older man.”

Revenge Porn Claims 

At one point in Sire’s video, he also claims Francois posted revenge porn of fellow Vlog Squad member, Erin Gilfoy.

“Do you know how that affected her?” Sire asked. “You posted revenge porn, which is actually 100% illegal. It’s totally immoral and so so fucked up. Did you get her consent?

This claim isn’t actually a new part to the story. It’s something people often bring up as a way to try and discredit Francois, though others argue that it’s a separate issue from Francois’s own allegations.

Many people believe Sire is referring to a clip Francois shared in July that shows Gilfoy using the n-word. That clip appears to have been featured in a larger video compilation Francois shared when accusing Vlog Squad members of performance activism and calling on them to take accountability for past offensive content.

Gilfoy addressed the situation in a video at the time, saying there were clips of her circulating online that were taken 10 years ago. She apologized, said she was ashamed, and stressed that she does not use language like that anymore. 

She also said the videos being shared show her completely naked and were filmed without her consent. In fact, Gilfoy claimed she was blackmailed about a year and a half earlier by a person who threatened to leak the videos unless she met their demands, which she did not do. 

“People have decided that me saying a racial slur, justifies them posting videos that I did not consent to have taken,” she said last year. “I did not consent to have posted anywhere. It’s okay to post them and share them and circulate them, even though it’s such an insane violation of my privacy.”

Since Gilfoy’s remarks, Francois has repeatedly denied that the clip he shared showed nudity and said it is not considered revenge porn; however, Gilfoy has maintained that it is revenge porn, regardless of whether or not her body was blurred. 

“In this day in age it is unfortunate that people are still using pornographic videos to get revenge,” Francois told The Rogue Rocket. “I have not promoted nudity but only highlighted a peer confidently saying the slanderous derogatory term “N*****.” 

It’s unclear exactly how Seth got a hold of the clip or if he ever publicly shared an uncensored version of it.

In a statement to the drama channel Spill Sesh, Seth said the clip was already posted online by others when he reshared it. It’s unclear if those versions were already censored or not. 

See what others are saying: (HITC) (Dexerto) (INSIDER)

Industry

Schools Across the U.S. Cancel Classes Friday Over Unverified TikTok Threat

Published

on

Officials in multiple states said they haven’t found any credible threats but are taking additional precautions out of an abundance of safety.


School Cancelled

Schools in no fewer than 10 states either canceled classes or increased their police presence on Friday after a series of TikToks warned of imminent shooting and bombs threats.

Despite that, officials said they found little evidence to suggest the threats are credible. It’s possible no real threat was actually ever made as it’s unclear if the supposed threats originated on TikTok, another social media platform, or elsewhere. 

“We handle even rumored threats with utmost seriousness, which is why we’re working with law enforcement to look into warnings about potential violence at schools even though we have not found evidence of such threats originating or spreading via TikTok,” TikTok’s Communications team tweeted Thursday afternoon. 

Still, given the uptick of school shootings in the U.S. in recent years, many school districts across the country decided to respond to the rumors. According to The Verge, some districts in California, Minnesota, Missouri, and Texas shut down Friday. 

“Based on law enforcement interviews, Little Falls Community Schools was specifically identified in a TikTok post related to this threat,” one school district in Minnesota said in a letter Thursday. “In conversations with local law enforcement, the origins of this threat remain unknown. Therefore, school throughout the district is canceled tomorrow, Friday, December 17.”

In Gilroy, California, one high school that closed its doors Friday said it would reschedule final exams that were expected to take place the same day to January.

According to the Associated Press, several other districts in Arizona, Connecticut, Illinois, Montana, New York, and Pennsylvania stationed more police officers at their schools Friday.

Viral Misinformation or Legitimate Warnings?

As The Verge notes, “The reports of threats on TikTok may be self-perpetuating.”

For example, many of the videos online may have been created in response to initial warnings as more people hopped onto the trend. Amid school cancellations, videos have continued to sprout up — many awash with both rumors and factual information.

 “I’m scared off my ass, what do I do???”  one TikTok user said in a now-deleted video, according to People. 

“The post is vague and not directed at a specific school, and is circulating around school districts across the country,” Chicago Public Schools said in a letter, though it did not identify any specific post. “Please do not re-share any suspicious or concerning posts on social media.”

According to Dr. Amy Klinger, the director of programs for the nonprofit Educator’s School Safety Network, “This is not 2021 phenomenon.”

Instead, she told The Today Show that her network has been tracking school shooting threats since 2013, and she noted that in recent years, they’ve become more prominent on social media. 

“It’s not just somebody in a classroom of 15 people hearing someone make a threat,” she said. “It’s 15,000 people on social media, because it gets passed around and it becomes larger and larger and larger.”

See what others are saying: (The Verge) (Associated Press) (People)

Continue Reading

Industry

Jake Paul Says He “Can’t Get Cancelled” as a Boxer

Published

on

The controversial YouTuber opened up about what it has been like to go from online fame to professional boxing.


The New Yorker Profiles Jake Paul

YouTuber and boxer Jake Paul talked about his career switch, reputation, and cancel culture in a profile published Monday in The New Yorker. 

While Paul rose to fame as the Internet’s troublemaker, he now spends most of his time in the ring. He told the outlet that one difference between YouTube and boxing is that his often controversial reputation lends better to his new career. 

“One thing that is great about being a fighter is, like, you can’t get cancelled,” Paul said. The profile noted that the sport often rewards and even encourages some degree of bad behavior.

“I’m not a saint,” Paul later continued. “I’m also not a bad guy, but I can very easily play the role.”

Paul also said the other difference between his time online and his time in boxing is the level of work. While he says he trains hard, he confessed that there was something more challenging about making regular YouTube content. 

“Being an influencer was almost harder than being a boxer,” he told The New Yorker. “You wake up in the morning and you’re, like, Damn, I have to create fifteen minutes of amazing content, and I have twelve hours of sunlight.”

Jake Paul Vs. Tommy Fury

The New Yorker profile came just after it was announced over the weekend Paul will be fighting boxer Tommy Fury in an 8-round cruiserweight fight on Showtime in December. 

“It’s time to kiss ur last name and ur family’s boxing legacy goodbye,” Paul tweeted. “DEC 18th I’m changing this wankers name to Tommy Fumbles and celebrating with Tom Brady.”

Both Paul and Fury are undefeated, according to ESPN. Like Paul, Fury has found fame outside of the sport. He has become a reality TV star in the U.K. after appearing on the hit show “Love Island.”

See what others are saying: (The New Yorker) (Dexerto) (ESPN)

Continue Reading

Industry

Hackers Hit Twitch Again, This Time Replacing Backgrounds With Image of Jeff Bezos

Published

on

The hack appears to be a form of trolling, though it’s possible that the infiltrators were able to uncover a security flaw while reviewing Twitch’s newly-leaked source code.


Bezos Prank

Hackers targeted Twitch for a second time this week, but rather than leaking sensitive information, the infiltrators chose to deface the platform on Friday by swapping multiple background images with a photo of former Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. 

According to those who saw the replaced images firsthand, the hack appears to have mostly — and possibly only — affected game directory headers. Though the incident appears to be nothing more than a surface-level prank, as Amazon owns Twitch, it could potentially signal greater security flaws. 

For example, it’s possible the hackers could have used leaked internal security data from earlier this week to discover a network vulnerability and sneak into the platform. 

The latest jab at the platforms came after Twitch assured its users it has seen “no indication” that their login credentials were stolen during the first hack. Still, concerns have remained regarding the potential for others to now spot cracks in Twitch’s security systems.

It’s also possible the Bezos hack resulted from what’s known as “cache poisoning,” which, in this case, would refer to a more limited form of hacking that allowed the infiltrators to manipulate similar images all at once. If true, the hackers likely would not have been able to access Twitch’s back end. 

The photo changes only lasted several hours before being returned to their previous conditions. 

First Twitch Hack 

Despite suspicions and concerns, it’s unclear whether the Bezos hack is related to the major leak of Twitch’s internal data that was posted to 4chan on Wednesday.

That leak exposed Twitch’s full source code — including its security tools — as well as data on how much Twitch has individually paid every single streamer on the platform since August 2019. 

It also revealed Amazon’s at least partially developed plans for a cloud-based gaming library, codenamed Vapor, which would directly compete with the massively popular library known as Steam.

Even though Twitch has said its login credentials appear to be secure, it announced Thursday that it has reset all stream keys “out of an abundance of caution.” Users are still being urged to change their passwords and update or implement two-factor authentication if they haven’t already. 

See what others are saying: (The Verge) (Forbes) (CNET)

Continue Reading