- On Wednesday, a committee within the National People’s Congress — China’s top legislative body — passed a resolution meant to disqualify pro-democracy lawmakers in Hong Kong’s Legislative Council.
- Within minutes of the resolution’s passage, four LegCo lawmakers were immediately removed from office for “endangering” national security.
- All four had previously asked foreign governments to sanction Beijing and Hong Kong over China’s passage of a national security law earlier this summer. China has since used that law to gradually strip away freedoms in Hong Kong.
- Following their ousting, the remaining 15 pro-democracy lawmakers in LegCo announced their intention to resign. LegCo will now be fully stacked with Beijing loyalists.
Four Pro-Democracy Lawmakers Ousted From LegCo
Hong Kong’s legislature is set to lose all of its 19 pro-democracy lawmakers by Thursday, meaning the legislature will now be composed entirely of Beijing loyalists.
On Wednesday, a committee within the National People’s Congress (NPC) — China’s top legislative body — passed a resolution targeting pro-democracy lawmakers in Hong Kong. The resolution states that lawmakers in Hong Kong will be disqualified from office if they support Hong Kong independence, refuse to accept China’s sovereignty, threaten national security, or ask foreign forces to impose sanctions.
Just minutes after that resolution was passed, the Hong Kong government announced it would be disqualifying four legislators in the city’s Legislative Council (LegCo), effective immediately. All four — Alvin Yeung, Dennis Kwok, Kwok Ka-ki, and Kenneth Leung — were accused of endangering national security.
In late June, China passed a national security law aimed at cracking down on pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. Since then, China has effectively taken control of the region — even though it was supposed to remain autonomous until 2047.
Later, in July, those four pro-democracy lawmakers asked foreign governments, including the United States, to implement sanctions on Beijing and Hong Kong. At the time, the Hong Kong government barred them from running for re-election, but they were allowed to continue serving on LegCo.
“If observing due process, protecting systems and functions, fighting for democracy and human rights would lead to the consequences of being disqualified, it would be my honor,” Dennis Kwok said Wednesday following his ousting.
All Pro-Democracy Legislators Resign
The four disqualifications left LegCo with 58 members — 15 of which were pro-democracy lawmakers; however, just hours after those disqualifications, every single pro-democracy lawmaker in LegCo announced they would resign, beginning Thursday.
“There [is] separation of power under… the Basic Law,” Hong Kong’s Democratic Party Chair Wu Chi Wai said, “but today, the decision made by the central government seemed to say that all the separation of powers will be taken away, and all the power will be centralized in the chief executive — Of course, the chief executive is the puppet of the central government.”
“We can no longer tell the world that we still have ‘one country, two systems,’” he added. “This declares its official death.”
That “puppet,” Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam, denied that LegCo is about to become a “rubber-stamp parliament” — AKA, a government that will essentially pass any legislation Beijing tells it to. Instead, she said she welcomes diverse opinions in LegCo, but she also stressed the need for China’s resolution to be applied upon LegCo.
“There are many occasions even among the so-called pro-establishment members that our proposals did not get through,” she said in a briefing.
However, China’s representative office in Hong Kong was much more transparent about the goal of this resolution, saying that the city must be ruled by loyalists.
One major question surrounding this story has confused many: Why did those other 15 lawmakers quit, especially since China hadn’t disqualified them? Why voluntarily give up their seats, which still had power even if those lawmakers were in the minority?
In fact, even analysts have noted that a mass resignation like this means democracy activists no longer have access to LegCo, a tool they could use to try to hold lawmakers more accountable to public opinion.
Despite this, as Reuters pointed out, “staying could have been perceived by their supporters as legitimising Beijing’s move and led to discord.”
For the lawmakers’ part, their mass resignation does seem to be a display of unity. While announcing their plans, the 15 held hands and chanted, “Together we stand!”
During that announcement, Wu called their effort a “fight of democracy,” saying, “[We] will never, ever give up.”
While those lawmakers described Wednesday as a dark day for Hong Kong, it’s also one that largely felt inevitable, given China’s recent crackdowns. Since signing its national security law into effect, it has arrested protesters, arrested journalists, raided newsrooms, and instituted propaganda into schools.
See what others are saying: (South China Morning Post) (Reuters) (NPR)
Police Arrest Hong Kong Man for Booing Chinese National Anthem
The man’s boos were launched during the first time the Chinese national anthem had ever been played for a Hong Kong athlete at the Olympics.
Instulting the Anthem
Hong Kong authorities announced Friday that a man was arrested for allegedly booing and “insulting” the Chinese national anthem while watching the Olympics on Monday.
The unnamed 40-year-old, who identified himself as a journalist, was allegedly watching the Olympics fencing medal ceremony for Hong Konger Edgar Cheung at a local mall. When the anthem began playing, he allegedly began booing and chanted “We are Hong Kong!” while waving a British Hong Kong Colonial flag.
The man’s actions were particularly noteworthy because it was the first time the Chinese national anthem had been played for a Hong Kong athlete in the Olympics. Hong Kongers compete at the Games under a separate committee called Hong Kong, China. The last time a Hong Konger won gold was in 1996 for windsurfing, at which time the British anthem of “God Save the Queen” was played.
Concerns for Freedom of Speech
The man is suspected of breaking the relatively new National Anthem Ordinance, which was passed in June 2020, and has a penalty of up to three years in prison and fines of $6,000 for anyone who publicly and intentionally insults the anthem. The law mirrors one in mainland China, but it has faced considerable scrutiny from increasingly persecuted pro-democracy lawmakers in Hong Kong.
They argue that it tramples the right to free speech, which is supposed to be enshrined in the city’s Basic Law. Hong Kong police, however, say that’s not the case and claim that his actions breach common restraints on freedom of speech. Senior Superintendent Eileen Chung said that his actions were “to stir up the hostility of those on the scene and to politicize the sport.”
Police issued a warning that it would investigate reports of others joining his chants or violating the separate National Security law passed last year.
This incident isn’t the only case of alleged politicization of the Games. Badminton player Angus Ng was accused by a pro-Beijing lawmaker of making a statement by sporting a black jersey with the territory’s emblem. The imagery was very similar to the black-and-white Hong Kong flag used by anti-government protesters.
Ng countered that he wore his own clothes to the event because he didn’t have sponsorships to provide jerseys and he wasn’t authorized to print the emblem on a jersey himself.
See what others are saying: (Inside) (Al Jazeera) (CNN)
Canadian Catholic Priest Says Residential Schools Survivors Lied About Abuse
The Roman Catholic Church is facing considerable backlash across Canada for its treatment of indigenous peoples in the residential school system, along with its subsequent efforts to downplay the problem.
Priest Sparks Outrage
Father Rheal Forest was put on forced leave Wednesday following remarks he made over a weeks-long period starting July 10 in which he doubted victims of the country’s infamous residential school system.
Residential schools were a system of schools largely for indigenous children that were mostly run by the Catholic Church with federal government funding. The schools were notoriously cruel and long faced allegations that children had been abused or went missing under their care.
To date, over 1,300 unmarked graves have been found at four former residential schools across Canada, a fraction of the over 130 that used to exist.
Forest, of the St. Boniface archdiocese in Winnipeg, was standing in for a couple of weeks while the main priest at his church was away. During that time, Forest told parishioners that victims of the residential schools, particularly those sexually abused, had lied.
“If [the victims] wanted extra money, from the money that was given to them, they had to lie sometimes — lie that they were abused sexually and, oop, another $50,000,” he said.
“It’s kind of hard if you’re poor not to lie.”
In that same sermon, he also added that during his time with Inuit groups in the north of the country, most had allegedly said they appreciated the residential school system. Instead, he said they blamed any abuses on lay people working at the facilities rather than priests or nuns.
Forest’s comments drew a ton of backlash, prompting the archdiocese to place Forest on leave. A spokesperson for the archdiocese said that the institution “completely disavow” Forest’s comments, adding, “We very much regret the pain they may have caused to many people, not least of course Indigenous people and, more specifically, survivors of the Residential School system.”
Overall, the archdiocese has attempted to apologize to indigenous communities for its part in the residential school system, with Archbishop Albert Legatt saying in a video that the way forward was by “acknowledging, apologizing, and acting” on terms set by indigenous groups.
Church Allegedly Kept Money From Victims
Forest’s views and subsequent dismissal aren’t the only public relations scandal the Roman Catholic Church faces in Canada.
According to documents obtained by CBC News, the Church spent over a decade avoiding paying out money to survivors per a 2005 agreement. At the time, it, alongside the protestant churches that also ran some residential schools, agreed to pay an amount to victims of the schools in the tens of millions.
Instead, according to an internal summary of 2015 court documents, the Catholic Church spent much of that money on lawyers, administration, a private fundraising company, and unapproved loans. It seems that some of this was technically legal, such as a promise to give tens of millions back via “in-kind” services; however, there was no audit completed to confirm that these services actually happened or to prove the alleged value of the services. This led to doubts about whether or not they were done effectively.
The Catholic Church was unique among the signatory churches in the 2005 agreement with its efforts to avoid paying victims. All of the other denominations paid out their sums many years before without issues.
While priests such as Father Forest have supported the Church, there has been internal backlash. Father André Poilièvre, a Saskatoon priest and Order of Canada recipient, said the Church’s actions are “scandalous” and “really shameful,” adding, “It was a loophole. It might be legal, but it’s not ethical.”
With these latest revelations, widespread anger at the Church has triggered allegations that indigenous groups are behind a spree of church burnings across the country.
The entire situation is likely going to continue to smolder as a government commission set up to investigate the schools estimates there will be thousands of more unmarked graves found across Canada.
See what others are saying: (CBC News) (The Guardian) (CTV News)
Tokyo Sets Back-to-Back Records for Number of Daily COVID-19 Cases
Some positive cases were detected among people attending the Olympic Games, including a handful of athletes.
Cases Going Up
The Tokyo Olympic Games found itself in more controversy on Wednesday after Tokyo experienced a record number of daily COVID-19 cases for the second day in a row.
On Tuesday, the city recorded 2,848 new cases of the virus, passing the 2,500 daily new case threshold for the first time since the pandemic began. Then on Wednesday, it shattered the record again with 3,177 new COVID-19 cases.
At least 155 of those new cases were detected among people attending the Games, including a handful of athletes, which contrasts Prime Minister Suga Yoshihide’s promise that the Olympics wouldn’t be hit with the virus. The spike in new cases has largely been attributed to the delta-variant, something that many countries are dealing with around the world.
Nishimura Yasutoshi, a Japanese economic minister, told a parliamentary panel this week that COVID-19 cases are expected to continue rising for at least a few days. He also explained that many people may have delayed getting tested last week due to holidays, therefore inflating total daily new case numbers.
Governors in prefectures around Tokyo have moved to ask the government for states-of-emergency, which Tokyo is already under.
Doubts About Government Response
The prime minister said in a press conference on Tuesday that “the government has secured a new drug that reduces the risk of serious illness by 70 percent,” adding, “we have confirmed that this drug will be used thoroughly from now on.”
However, he never actually mentioned what drug he was referencing.
“In any case, under these circumstances, I would like to ask the people to avoid going out unnecessarily and to watch the Olympics and Paralympics on TV,” Suga continued.
He also stressed that canceling the Olympics amid the outbreak was completely out of the question, although there have been continued calls from the public and opposition lawmakers for just that.
Beyond refusing to cancel the Games, Suga is facing backlash for refusing to enact strict state-of-emergency protocols. Currently, the measures in Tokyo are almost all voluntary and consist of asking people to stay home, along with requesting restaurants that serve alcohol to completely close and telling all others to shut down by 8 p.m.