- The 2016 video “Baby Shark” reached 7.04 billion views Monday, creeping just past the record that was previously held by the 2017 Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee hit “Despacito.”
- It has also broken the record title for the most-viewed children’s music video on YouTube and currently sits at the No.4 spot on the platform’s list of most disliked videos with 10.03 million dislikes.
- According to estimates by the BBC, the song has made the South Korean education company Pinkfong an estimated $5.2 million from YouTube streams alone.
YouTube’s Newest Record Holder
The frustratingly catchy song “Baby Shark” is officially the most-watched YouTube video of all time.
If you haven’t heard “Baby Shark” at this point, that’s quite an impressive feat because it’s inspired viral hashtags and has seen love from celebrity parents like Cardi B, Kylie Jenner, Travis Scott, and more.
After four years on the platform, the 2016 video surpassed 7.04 billion views Monday, inching just past the record that was previously held by the 2017 Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee hit “Despacito.”
Other Major Records
“Despacito” still holds the record for the most liked video online and the first YouTube video to receive 5 billion views, according to Guinness World Records. Meanwhile, the “Baby Shark” has also broken the record title for the most-viewed children’s music video on YouTube.
Funny enough though, the children’s song also sits at No. 4 on the list of most disliked YouTube videos with 10.03 million dislikes. (Don’t worry YouTube Rewind 2018 still maintains a strong lead.)
Last month, “Baby Shark” even made headlines because prison workers in Oklahoma were accused of using it to punish inmates.
The views clearly aren’t all coming from fans, but the creators of the childrens’ video probably aren’t too worried about that.
According to the BBC, the South Korean education company behind the video, Pinkfong, stands to have made an estimated $5.2 million from YouTube streams on that video alone.
See what others are saying: (CNN) (BBC) (Guinness World Records)
YouTuber Gabi DeMartino Slammed for Selling Naked Childhood Video of Herself on OnlyFans
- Longtime social media influencer Gabi DeMartino was slammed Tuesday for tricking her OnlyFans subscribers into paying $3 for a naked childhood video of herself.
- The locked content was captioned “won’t put my panties on,” prompting fans to assume their purchase would unlock a nude or, at the very least, risqué video of her.
- DeMartino initially accused critics of “reaching,” but later apologized and claimed her account was “NOT a sexual page.”
- Instead, she said she uses it like a “finsta” to post content she would normally share with close friends. However, Insider reported that her previous OnlyFans posts were sexual in nature.
- Though DeMartino says she deactivated her own account, OnlyFans said it terminated her page for breaking its terms of service. Now, many sex workers are concerned about how her actions will hurt adult entertainers who will face blame for something they didn’t and wouldn’t do.
What Did She Do?
OnlyFans said it deactivated a popular influencer’s account on Tuesday after she tricked people into paying for a naked childhood video of herself.
The creator under fire, 25-year-old Gabi DeMartino, is a longtime YouTuber with over 3 million subscribers on her personal channel and 9.6 million on the joint channel she shares with her twin sister. DeMartino also boasts impressive followings on Instagram and Twitter and is perhaps best recognized for her striking resemblance to singer Ariana Grande.
Like other stars and influencers in recent months, DeMartino created an account on OnlyFans, the popular subscription site predominantly used by sex workers because it allows nude and risqué content.
However, DeMartino caused widespread outrage Tuesday after she sent a message to her OnlyFans subscribers that read: “won’t put my panties on.”
That message was accompanied by a 35-second video clip that fans had to pay $3 to unlock. Because of her wording, many assumed that if they paid, they would receive a nude or, at the very least, risqué video of her.
Instead, what fans reportedly ended up getting was a video of her as a toddler lifting up her dress to show herself naked underneath.
Almost immediately, people began slamming DeMartino for duping her fans into essentially buying child pornography. Many also said they were disturbed by what she had done and reported her to OnlyFans.
After seeing the initial backlash, most notably from YouTube drama channels, DeMartino seemed to defend herself.
“Drama channels are trying to make something out of a childhood video of me, that’s hilarious,” she said in a phone call with Insider reporter Kat Tenbarge.
“They’re reaching,” she added.
However, the backlash continued to grow and DeMartino soon changed her tune. When the drama channel known as Spill Sesh demanded the influencer make a statement, she finally did.
“A childhood video of me on the phone sayin ‘Nani says put your panties back on’ and jumping up and down laughing. I’m sorry I didn’t think that one through. period. a home-video i love to share w my friends & i use my OF as a “finsta” page where i share stuff as i would w friends,” She wrote on Twitter.
She expanded on that statement in a follow up post, calling the video a “gooft throwback family moment” that she wanted to share with her fans.
“I am sorry that this wasn’t thought out completely I apologize. The video is down now I am sorry again if this came out wrong,” she continued.
OnlyFans Deactivates Her Account
While some fans accepted her apology, many internet users weren’t having it.
Several people specifically took issue with DeMartino claiming she uses her OnlyFans as a “Finsta,” a private account typically reserved for close friends.
In fact, when she talked to Insider via text message, she said her account “was NOT a sexual page.” However, the outlet noted that DeMartino’s previous OnlyFans posts were sexual in nature.
“DeMartino’s photos and videos on OnlyFans included a video of her boyfriend lying on top of her and kissing her and a picture of him groping her,” Insider reported. “She also posed topless for a “nip slip” image and for one image of her breasts pressed against another woman who was clothed. DeMartino also posted multiple videos of her twerking.“
This information caused many to question her apology further, meanwhile, others continued to take issue with how she marketed the video.
In a now-deleted tweet, DeMartino even addressed her phrasing in the initial message, saying: “I was trolling it was wrong period.”
She’s trying to play it off as just trolling🤢🤢🤢 pic.twitter.com/Y4wtHSJNJv— ✨Z3r0_Art and 777 others✨ (@Z3r0Art) December 1, 2020
DeMartino also told Insider that she took down her OnlyFans page after the outrage, but that too was called into question because OnlyFans issued a statement to several media outlets saying it deactivated her accounting for violating its terms of service.
Still, while her account is now gone, many adult entertainers are frustrated that yet another star is giving OnlyFans a bad name.
“It’s women like her that do this that make people turn to those of us in the adult industry who would never do something like this, and we take the blame for it,” Alana Evans, an adult entertainer and president of the Adult Performers Actors Guild (APAG) told The Daily Beast.
“It’s shocking. Just shocking,” she added.
Evans told the outlet that she reported the page to OnlyFans and encouraged the site to help authorities so that DeMartino is prosecuted. She also said she has contacted the FBI about this situation. However, at this time, it’s unclear if DeMartino will face any serious legal consequences.
See what others are saying: (The Daily Beast) (Insider) (PopBuzz)
Jake Paul Believes COVID-19 Is a Hoax
- Internet star Jake Paul called COVID-19 a hoax, incorrectly compared it to the flu, called 98% of news fake, and doubted medical experts in an interview with The Daily Beast published Wednesday.
- Many online slammed Paul for his misleading and false claims and praised the reporter, Marlow Stern, for repeatedly pushing back against them.
- Readers also pointed to other notable moments in the interview as ones that expose Paul’s true character.
Jake Paul’s Thoughts on the Coronavirus Pandemic
YouTuber Jake Paul is facing major heat online after claiming that COVID-19 is a hoax in an interview with The Daily Beast.
During the interview, the outlet’s Senior Entertainment Editor, Marlow Stern, brought up the fact that Paul has hosted several parties throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Stern cites a July report from Kat Tenbarge for Insider, which quoted Paul saying at the time, “I personally am not the type of person who’s gonna sit around and not live my life.”
When asked if he still lives by that mindset, Paul essentially explained that he does. “It’s time for us to open up,” he said.
“This is the most detrimental thing to our society. COVID cases are at less than 1 percent, and I think the disease is a hoax,” he added.
Paul went on to compare the virus to the flu, which Stern push back against in an interesting exchange.
Stern: You think the disease is a hoax? It’s killed about 260,000 people so far this year.
Paul: Ugh. Yeah, and so has the flu.
No. The flu has only killed a fraction of that, and we also have a vaccine for the flu.
The flu kills between 20,000 and 70,000 people a year. And we have a mass-produced vaccine for it.
Don’t we have a vaccine for COVID?
Not yet. They’re hopeful we will soon. It’s been approved by the FDA based on early-stage trials but it hasn’t been introduced to the market yet. So they’re hopeful that there will be a vaccine out very soon, although distribution also poses a big problem. But I want to talk about why you think COVID is a “hoax.”
I don’t have to elaborate.
You don’t want to elaborate on that?
[Deep sigh] No.
This section of the interview caught the most heat online, however, at a later point, Paul made more false and misleading claims about the virus, which Stern again corrected.
Paul also suggested he had doubts about the information coming from health professionals, saying: “I don’t think we do know who the health professionals are. People like yourself, or people who go on Twitter and read articles all day, you know, 98 percent of news is fake, so how do we know what’s actually real, and what we’re actually supposed to do?“
Shortly after the article was published, Twitter users and some fellow content creators slammed his remarks.
Other Notable Moments
However, the outrage isn’t solely about his coronavirus comments. In the interview, Paul also refused to comment on several of his past controversies, including the FBI raid on his home and his this use of the n-word.
He also faced criticism for remarks he made about his criminal trespassing and unlawful assembly charges. Those charges came after video appeared to show him participating in a looting at a mall in Scottsdale, Arizona during Black Lives Matter protests over the summer.
“It looked like people in your crew were both shooting fireworks at the mall and also destroying some store windows inside of it. Do you feel you conducted yourself appropriately in that situation?” Stern asked.
“I was merely a reporter simply, like you are in this call, wanting to capture, document, and record what was happening,” Paul responded.
At one point, he even became frustrated that Stern was asking him about his past controversies.
“How does asking about these incidents help you learn more about me?” Paul said. “You didn’t ask me, “Yo, do you have any hobbies?” “What are you like as a person?” “What is your daily routine?” “Do you call your mom?” “Do you have friends?”
“You want me to ask you if you have friends or call your mom?” Stern replied.
“I mean, if you actually wanted to learn more about me, yeah, those are the types of questions you would ask,” Paul explained.
To that, Stern noted that he did spend time asking Paul about his passion for boxing and defended his line of questions as fair.
Because of this, and other notable moments in the piece, many are saying the interview gives a good glimpse and Paul’s true character. Readers have also praised Stern for how he conducted the interview and repeatedly corrected Paul’s dangerous claims.
wow! wow! Mr. Stern, I congrats you on how you handled this interview. I could not believe what I was reading and the statements made by Jake. If it was his team setting it up, what in the world were their goals? To show everyone his true idiotic self. wow!— just nate; part time cowboy, part time catboy (@idlebums) November 25, 2020
Read the full interview here: The Daily Beast
Belle Delphine Calls Out YouTube for Double Standards After It Terminated Her Channel
- Social media creator Belle Delphine, who is known for her risqué content and viral marketing stunts, had her YouTube channel terminated Sunday “due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube’s policy on nudity or sexual content.”
- Soon after, Delphine asked YouTube why she had been banned without receiving three strikes or any previous warnings. She also found it suspicious that YouTube would do this when it allows and promotes music videos for songs like Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion’s “WAP.”
- Fans agreed, comparing her content to other music videos on the site and calling it an example of YouTube’s uneven policy enforcement.
- Team YouTube said it would take a look into what happened, but it’s unclear if the decision will be reversed.
Belle Delphine Banned From YouTube
Social media star Belle Delphine called out YouTube on Sunday for what appear to be double standards in the enforcement of its content guidelines.
Delphine is a cosplay Instagram model known for posting risqué content. She received a lot of attention last year after telling her followers she would make Pornhub account if she earned 1 million likes on a post. When she did, she trolled everyone with videos that looked like they would be porn but weren’t actually porn.
Others may recognize Delphine as the girl who sold her bathwater to “thirsty gamer boys” online.
This time, however, Delphine isn’t catching attention for one of her unique stunts. Instead, she tweeted Sunday, “Hey @TeamYouTube why was my youtube account terminated with no warning/no strikes for ‘sexual content’ when you allow and promote songs like ‘W.A.P’? seems a lil sus.”
Her remarks came the same day that her channel, which had 1.7 million followers, was shut down. A notice on her page confirmed that the ban was “due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube’s policy on nudity or sexual content.”
YouTube typically takes this kind of action after a channel earns three strikes, but Delphine’s post suggests this decision came suddenly.
Comparisons to Music Videos
Delphine’s tweet also included a video shared by Keemstar that seemed to have been originally posted by a user named Lord Vega. That video compares Delphine’s content to popular music videos that have been allowed on the platform without issue. In fact, in some cases, those videos have been promoted by YouTube on its trending page.
At one point, that comparison edit even shows Delphine’s June parody of “Gooba” by rapper 6ix9ine, which also served as a promo to her newly launched Instagram, TikTok, and OnlyFans accounts at the time.
The comparison essentially showed Delphine dressed and dancing in similar ways that women in the “Gooba” video were. The clip also shows other music videos from rappers like Cardi B and Nicki Minaj, who are also dressed and dancing provocatively.
With this in mind, many of Delphine’s fans agreed that YouTube wasn’t equally enforcing its policies.
In response to Delphine’s tweet, Team YouTube said it would look into the situation.
“Thanks for reaching out – mind sharing your channel URL so that we can take a look?” it said. “Keep us posted!”
Thanks for reaching out – mind sharing your channel URL so that we can take a look? Keep us posted!— TeamYouTube (@TeamYouTube) November 23, 2020
As of now, it’s unclear if YouTube is planning on reversing its decision.