Connect with us

Industry

E3 Apologizes for Sharing Sexist Article Listing “Games That Women Enjoy”

Published

on

  • A recent Parade article listed “25 Online Games That Women Enjoy,” including Solitaire, Candy Crush, and Kim Kardashian: Hollywood Adventure, to name a few. 
  • Many felt it failed to capture the scope of female gamers and their interests, and instead fed into stereotypes of what women “should” like. For instance, when listing Bejeweled Classic, the author wrote: “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Am I right, ladies?”
  • That article was shared on Twitter by E3, a move that prompted a ton of backlash from people in the gaming world who said it should know better than to perpetuate harmful stereotypes about women in gaming. 
  • E3 apologized soon after and deleted its tweet. Parade has also removed the article, though web archives of it exist. 

What the Article Says 

E3 apologized Tuesday after sharing an article about games women enjoy that many felt perpetuated harmful stereotypes. 

The official Twitter account for E3, which is a major trade event in the gaming industry, posted a tweet earlier in the day that read: “Great list of games women gamers are playing — any of your favorites make the cut?” 

@E3

That post linked to a Parade article titled: “The Games We Play! 25 Online Games That Women Enjoy.” In it, the author, Nicole Pajer, said she surveyed game developers, pro gamers, and everyday players to create this list of 25 “free online games for women.” Then she proceeds to list off her results – many of which aren’t even free.

Number one on the list was Sodoku, followed by Sayonara Wild Hearts and Candy Crush. Other notable mentions were Animal Crossing, Sims 4, Star Chef, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood Adventure, Just Dance, Solitaire, Tetris, and, of course, Bejeweled Classic, which she listed with the line, “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Am I right, ladies?”

She also included Overwatch on her list, writing that “Women like it since it has a lot of female ‘heroes’ to portray, giving them the chance to hold their own amidst the boys, and for its fantasy element.”

While she did say that online games have no gender attached to them, she added that these are some of the games “female players tend to gravitate towards.” 

Backlash 

After E3 tweeted out that list, a lot of people in the gaming world were pretty shocked and offended. But to be clear, the issues weren’t about the quality of these specific games, and there’s nothing wrong with people who do play and enjoy them.

The problem for many was that this list doesn’t capture the full scope of women in gaming and their huge range of interest. Instead, it feeds into stereotypes about what women “should” like. As a writer for Kotaku put it, reinforces the idea that women, “would rather shuffle jewels or go dancing than blow off demons’ heads with a shotgun.”

Under E3’s post, some in the gaming space like Naomi Kyle and Trisha Hershberger responded with gifs representing their reactions to the list.

Meanwhile, iJustine took a more sarcastic approach.

When Meg Turney saw the tweet, she wrote: “Whomst the fuck wrote this shit.” Then followed that with: “Okay I don’t want to @ her bc I’m sure she did try her best, but the author of this story has a tweet from a couple days before asking if any #videogamesexperts want to help with a story w/ no replies so I guess that’s how we ended up at having Solitaire be our favorite game.” 

The tweet she’s referencing has since been deleted, but not before users could snag a screenshot of course.

@NicolePajer

Ultimately, Turney and plenty of others focused a lot of their frustration at E3, arguing that it should know better than to share something like this.

E3 Apologizes 

After seeing the backlash, E3 deleted its tweet and issued an apology, writing: ”We messed up. We are taking down the post and apologize for perpetuating a harmful stereotype. We will do better.” 

A spokesperson for E3 also told Kotaku,We posted a story that does not reflect what we believe and know to be true—that women and girls make, play and excel in games of all genres. Video games are for everyone, as the unequivocal voice of the gaming community reminds us all.”

Still, many were confused by how this even happened in the first place. Ms5000Watts, for example, said, “ don’t even understand how an official E3 twitter could think that posting it was ever ok. Anyone who has spent even 10 minutes in the gaming world knows that in 2020 that would be a bad article. It’s real weird.”

Parade, for its part, has taken the article down, though web archives of it exist. According to reports, for a while, the link instead directed to a list of “26 Best Games To Play With Friends For Fun While Social Distancing.” However, now it seems to direct just to the site’s homepage.  

See what others are saying: (Kotaku) (Digital Trends) (ScreenRant)  

Industry

TikTok’s Bryce Hall Launches Finance Podcast

Published

on

  • TikToker Bryce Hall has just launched a finance podcast titled “Capital University” with entrepreneur and investor Anthony “Pomp” Pompliano.
  • Pompliano will serve as a mentor figure, teaching Hall and listeners about building generational wealth, the basics of investing, and money management.
  • Hall was inspired to start the project after learning from the mistakes he made with money early on in his career. In the first episode of the podcast, he was also critical of other influencers who rely on YouTube ad revenue and TikTok brand deals while overspending on lavish items.
  • Some wonder if this venture will help change the public’s perception of Hall, who has developed a negative reputation for throwing massive parties during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Capital University

TikTok star and Sway House member Bryce Hall officially launched a finance podcast Tuesday where he and his fans will learn about money management.

The 21-year-old’s podcast is called “Capital University,” and he’s joined by co-host Anthony “Pomp” Pompliano, an entrepreneur and investor who has worked for companies like Facebook and Snapchat before getting into venture capital.

Pompliano is supposed to serve as a sort of mentor figure, teaching Hall and listeners about building generational wealth, the basics of investing, and other tips for ensuring financial security.

Inspiration Behind the Podcast

However, Hall will also use the podcast to talk about his personal experience with fame and wealth at a young age. He told PEOPLE magazine that the idea for the podcast stemmed from mistakes he made earlier in his career.

″I always thought money was an object,″ Hall said. ″I was spending money before I even had it.″

He also talked about going ″completely broke″ and getting hit with taxes. All of this made him realize the importance of money management, which he though his fans might also want to know about.

Though he’s admitted to making mistakes with his money, he’s definitely worked to turn things around. For instance, he recently created an energy drink company called Ani with fellow Sway House creator Josh Richards.

On top of that, in the first episode of the podcast, Hall talked about his four-month-old merch brand, Party Animal, saying it clocked in more than $1 million in its first quarter.

Criticism of Other Influencers

With this new interest in learning about finance and business, the public could be seeing a lot more from Hall soon.

At the same time though, he also caught some attention for calling out the spending habits of another TikTok star, Thoman Petrou. He’s the co-founder of the Hype House, and Hall claims that Petrou, like other influencers, is taking a shorter-term approach in his career by relying on YouTube ad revenue and TikTok brand deals.

In fact, Hall estimated that Petrou makes about $150,000 a month but says he overspends on lavish items.

“He, along with many other influencers, like to really prove that they’re making a shit ton of money,” he said in the first episode of the podcast.

“But when you spend it like an idiot, and you’re buying like McLarens, Porsches, i8s, like just cash, I look at these kids and I’m like ‘Oh my god. They’re so stupid.'”

“They don’t understand that social media, this poppin’ time that they’re in, isn’t going to last forever, and right now, when you’re at the top, this is when you’re going to be making the most money. You just got to find a way to sustain it.”

For now, it will be interesting to see the reactions to this venture, and Hall’s new interest in finance has some wondering if it could change people’s perception of him. Hall earned himself a bad reputation for repeatedly throwing massive parties during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Still, some compare his success to that of YouTube Jake Paul, who is also recognized as a businessman and entrepreneur but has continued to embroil himself in controversies.

See what others are saying: (PEOPLE) (Tubefilter)

Continue Reading

Industry

Influencers Exposed for Posting Fake Private Jet Photos

Published

on

  • A viral tweet showed a studio set in Los Angeles, California that is staged to look like the inside of a private jet.
  • Some influencers were called out for using that very same studio to take social media photos and videos.
  • While some slammed them for faking their lifestyles online, others poked fun at the behavior and noted that this is something stars like Bow Wow have been caught doing before.
  • Others have even gone so far as to buy and pose with empty designer shopping bags to pretend they went on a massive spending spree.

A tweet went viral over the weekend exposing the secret behind some influencer travel photos.

“Nahhhhh I just found out LA ig girlies are using studio sets that look like private jets for their Instagram pics,” Twitter user @maisonmelissa wrote Thursday.

“It’s crazy that anything you’re looking at could be fake. The setting, the clothes, the body… idk it just kinda of shakes my reality a bit lol,” she continued in a tweet that quickly garnered over 100,000 likes.

The post included photos of a private jet setup that’s actually a studio in California, which you can rent for $64 an hour on the site Peerspace.

As the tweet picked up attention, many began calling out influencers who they noticed have posted photos or videos in that very same studio.

@the7angels

Come fly with the angels 👼

♬ Hugh Hefner – ppcocaine

Perhaps the most notable influencers to be called out were the Mian Twins, who eventually edited their Instagram captions to admit they were on a set.

While a ton of people were upset about this, others pointed out that it’s not exactly that new of an idea. Even Bow Wow was once famously called out in 2017 for posting a private plane photo on social media before being spotted on a commercial flight. 

Twitter users even noted other ridiculous things some people do for the gram, like buying out empty shopping bags to pretend they’ve gone on a shopping spree.

Meanwhile, others poked fun at the topic, like Lil Nas X, who is never one to miss out on a viral internet moment. He photoshopped himself into the fake private jet, sarcastically writing, “thankful for it all,” in his caption.

So ultimately, it seems like the moral of this story is: don’t believe everything you see on social media.

See what others are saying: (LADBible) (Dazed Digital) (Metro UK)

Continue Reading

Industry

South Korea’s Supreme Court Upholds Rape Case Sentences for Korean Stars Jung Joon-young and Choi Jong-hoon

Published

on

  • On Thursday morning, the Supreme Court in Seoul upheld the sentences of Jung Joon Young and Choi Jong Hoon for aggravated rape and related charges.
  • Jung will serve five years in prison, while Choi will go to prison for two-and-a-half.
  • Videos of Jung, Choi, and others raping women were found in group chats that stemmed from investigations into Seungri, of the k-pop group BigBang, as part of the Burning Sun Scandal.
  • The two stars tried to claim that some of the sex was consensual, but the courts ultimately found testimony from survivors trustworthy. Courts did, however, have trouble finding victims who were willing to come forward over fears of social stigma.

Burning Sun Scandal Fall Out

South Korea’s Supreme Court upheld the rape verdicts against stars Jung Joon-young and Choi Jong-hoon on Thursday after multiple appeals by the stars and their co-defendants.

Both Jung and Choi were involved in an ever-growing scandal involving the rapes and sexual assaults of multiple women. Those crimes were filmed and distributed to chatrooms without their consent.

The entire scandal came to light in March of 2019 when Seungri from the k-pop group BigBang was embroiled in what’s now known as the Burning Sun Scandal. As part of an investigation into the scandal, police found a chatroom that featured some stars engaging in what seemed to be non-consensual sex with various women. Police found that many of the message in the Kakaotalk chatroom (the major messaging app in South Korea) from between 2015 and 2016 were sent by Jung and Choi.

A Year of Court Proceedings

Jung, Choi, and five other defendants found themselves in court in November 2019 facing charges related to filming and distributing their acts without the consent of the victims, as well as aggravated rape charges. In South Korea, this means a rape involving two or more perpetrators.

The court found them all guilty of the rape charge. Jung was sentenced to six years behind bars, while Choi and the others were sentenced to five years. Jung was given a harsher sentence because he was also found guilty of filming and distributing the videos of their acts without the victim’s consent.

During proceedings, the court had trouble getting victims to tell their stories. Many feared being shamed or judged because of the incidents and didn’t want the possibility of that information going public. Compounding the court’s problems was the fact that other victims were hard to find.

To that end, the defendants argued that the sexual acts with some of the victims were consensual, albeit this didn’t leave out the possibility that there were still victims of their crimes. However, the court found that the testimony of survivors was trustworthy and contradicted the defendant’s claims.

Jung and Choi appealed the decision, which led to more court proceedings. In May 2020, the Seoul High Court upheld their convictions but reduced their sentences to five years for Jung and two and a half years for Choi.

Choi’s sentence was reduced because the court found that he had reached a settlement with a victim.

The decision was appealed a final time to the Supreme Court. This time they argued that most of the evidence against them, notably the Kakaotalk chatroom messages and videos, were illegally obtained by police.

On Thursday morning, the Supreme Court ultimately disagreed with Jung and Choi and said their revised sentences would stand.

Jung, Choi, and the other defendants will also still have to do 80 hours of sexual violence treatment courses and are banned from working with children for five years.

See What Others Are Saying: (ABC) (Yonhap News) (Soompi)

Continue Reading