Connect with us

U.S.

Fox News Hosts Ed Henry, Tucker Carlson, and Sean Hannity Accused of Sexual Misconduct

Published

on

  • Two women who previously worked for or with Fox News filed a lawsuit claiming they faced sexual harassment, assault, and gender-based discrimination while at the job. 
  • Former associate producer Jennifer Eckhart said she was “violently raped” by anchor Ed Henry. Henry was fired from the network a few weeks ago after Fox News investigated sexual misconduct claims against him, though details about this claim were not released.
  • Frequent on-air guest Cathy Areu claims that Henry sent her inappropriate sexual photos and suggested they should sleep together. She also accused hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, and others of harassment. 
  • Henry’s lawyer denied Eckhart’s claims. Fox News also said that based on an independent investigation, they believe the allegations against Carlson, Hannity, and other talent are false. 

Ed Henry Accused of Assault and Rape

It has been exactly four years since Roger Ailes resigned from his position as Fox News CEO following claims of sexual misconduct. However, a lawsuit filed Monday suggests the company culture that allowed for such misconduct remains.

The civil suit lodges allegations against big names at Fox News, including anchors like Ed Henry, Tucker Carlson, and Sean Hannity. The plaintiffs are Jennifer Eckhart and Cathy Areu. Eckhart is a former associate producer and Areu is an on-air personality who used to regularly appear as a guest on Fox News programs. Some of the allegations in the case are graphic enough to warrant a trigger warning at the top of the suit. 

Eckhart claims that throughout her time at Fox News, Henry leveraged his power over her career and asked her to be his “sex slave” and “little whore.” If she did not comply with his sexual demands, she was threatened. 

Henry allegedly manipulated her into a sexual relationship and she claims some assaults happened on office property. In one case, she said she was “violently raped” while at a hotel where Fox News frequently posted guests from out of town. 

Eckhart says she was “helpless and restrained in metal handcuffs, as Mr. Henry performed sadistic acts on her without her consent that left her injured, bruised and battered with bloody wrists.” Before committing this assault, the lawsuit alleges that Henry took photos of her without her consent “as an intimidation tactic to silence her.”

The complaint also includes graphic messages Henry allegedly sent to Eckhart that contain sexual and violent language. Those messages say things like “when u r owned u don’t get a ‘choice’” and “#obey or #discipline.”

Fox News announced that Henry had been fired from the network on July 1 as a result of sexual misconduct allegations, but did not further elaborate on what those claims exactly entailed. The lawsuit alleges that the network knew about Eckhart’s claims as early as 2017. 

Areu also claimed that Henry engaged in inappropriate conduct with her. She claims that he sent her explicit messages and imagines, some of which included sex acts or close up shots of women exposing their genitals. He also allegedly suggested that the two have sex, and when she rejected his advances, she said he berated her and ended their professional relationship.

Allegations Against Other Personalities

Areu also said she was subject to harassment from some of Fox’s most notable on-air figures. She claimed that after an appearance on Sean Hannity’s show, he put $100 on the desk and repeatedly asked the men in the room to use it to take her on a date. She said this was especially humiliating because, at the time, she was hooked into studio equipment she could not remove herself, so she was essentially stuck in the studio to watch the situation play out. 

The lawsuit also claims that she made frequent appearances on Tucker Carlson’s show, with at least 17 slots in 2018 alone. After one of her appearances at the end of 2018, Carlson allegedly told her he was staying alone at a New York hotel without his wife or kids. 

“Without question, Mr. Carlson was probing to see whether Ms. Areu was interested in a sexual relationship,” the lawsuit states. “Ms. Areu awkwardly sidestepped Mr. Carlson’s advances and declined to spend the night at his hotel. Mr. Carlson promptly retaliated against Ms. Areu, who was featured on his show only three times in 2019 and has not appeared once in 2020.”

Carlson was not the only one to allegedly swipe career opportunities after being rejected. The lawsuit also says that Howard Kurtz, who hosts Fox News’ “Media Buzz,” offered to giver her career advice, but only if she came alone to his hotel room. When she suggested that they meet another way, he stopped connecting with her. Areu says something similar happened with political analyst Gianno Caldwell, who said he would introduce her to pundit and Fox News regular Ann Coulter on the condition that she went out with him.

Eckhart and Areu are now seeking undisclosed damages for a hostile work environment, sexual harassment, gender discrimination, and retaliation against all the defendants. Henry and Fox News are also cited for sex trafficking, and Henry once more for gender-based violence.

Responses to the Lawsuit

Henry’s attorney, Catherine Foti, defended him against the allegations Eckhart has put forth. 

“The Me Too movement has helped to bring to light a number of injustices in our society, and everyone that has suffered deserves to be heard. This is not one of those cases,” Foti said in a statement. 

“The evidence in this case will demonstrate that Ms. Eckhart initiated and completely encouraged a consensual relationship,” the statement continued. “Ed Henry looks forward to presenting actual facts and evidence, which will contradict the fictional accounts contained in the complaint.”

For its part, Fox News said an independent investigation was conducted by an outside law firm.  Based on its findings, the network believes that the accusations against Carlson, Hannity, Kurtz, and Caldwell are “false, patently frivolous and utterly devoid of any merit.”

“We take all claims of harassment, misconduct and retaliation seriously, promptly investigating them and taking immediate action as needed — in this case, the appropriate action based on our investigation is to defend vigorously against these baseless allegations,” Fox News said.

When it came to the claims being levied at Henry, the network said that “Ms. Areu and Jennifer Eckhart can pursue their claims against Ed Henry directly with him, as FOX News already took swift action as soon as it learned of Ms. Eckhart’s claims on June 25 and Mr. Henry is no longer employed by the network.”

Eckhart and Areu are represented by Douglas Wigdor and Michael Willemin, who have previously worked on cases against Fox News, including lawsuits against Roger Ailes. Both women say that being vocal about their experiences has been difficult. 

“My decision to speak out was not an easy one, but I refuse to let fear of retaliation, victim shaming and further attacks intimidate me into remaining silent,” Eckhart said. “I am hopeful that my decision to file this action will result in positive change or women at Fox, and for all victims in the workplace.”

Areu made a statement with a similar sentiment, adding that she “could not stay silent given the tremendous harm that Mr. Henry and others at Fox News have caused for women affiliated with the company.”

See what others are saying: (The Hollywood Reporter) (Politico) (New York Times)

U.S.

Lawmakers Call For Action as Oil Companies Post Record Profits Amid Rising Gas Prices

Published

on

A recent analysis from the Center for American Progress found that the top five oil companies earned over 300% more in profits during the first quarter of 2022 than the same period last year.


As Consumer Prices Climb, Big Oil Profits

American oil companies are facing increased scrutiny over profiteering practices as gas prices continue to surpass record highs driven by Russia’s ongoing war in Ukraine.

Last week, costs surged to above $4 per gallon in all 50 states for the first time ever, according to the auto club AAA. Prices are currently averaging over $4.59 per gallon nationwide, which is 50% higher than they were this time last year.

In addition to consumers hurting at the pump, there are also rising concerns for industries that rely on fuel and oil like trucking, freight, airlines, and plastic manufacturers. 

To account for high prices, some in sectors have responded by ramping up prices further down the supply chain to account for costs, putting even more of a burden on consumers to pay for everyday items.

But as Americans struggle with sky-high gas prices at a time of record inflation, recently released earnings reports show that many of the world’s largest oil companies thrived in the first quarter of 2022.

ExxonMobil more than doubled its earnings from the same period last year, reporting a net profit of $5.5 billion. Meanwhile, Chevron logged its best quarterly earnings in almost a decade, and Shell had its highest earnings ever.

According to a new analysis conducted by the Center for American Progress, the top five oil companies — including the three mentioned above —  earned over 300% more in profits this quarter than during the same time last year.

“In fact, these five companies’ first-quarter profits alone are equivalent to almost 28 percent of what Americans spent to fill up their gas tanks in the same time period,” the report noted.

Per Insider, for at least four of those companies, that growth marks a tremendous increase in profits from even before the pandemic.

Lawmakers Ramp-Up Efforts to Reduce Prices

To address these startling disparities, federal lawmakers have moved in recent weeks to increase pressure on oil companies and take steps to lower prices.

On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed a bill proposed by Rep. Katie Porter (D-Ca.) that aims to reduce gas prices. The legislation, called The Consumer Fuel Price Gouging Prevention Act, would give the president the authority to issue an Energy Emergency Declaration that would be effective for up to 30 days with the possibility of being renewed.

In that emergency period, it would be illegal for anyone to increase gas or home energy fuel prices to a level that is exploitative or “unconscionably excessive.” 

The proposal would also give the Federal Trade Commission the power to investigate and manage instances of price gouging from larger companies and give state authorities the ability to enforce price-gouging violations in civil courts.

The bill, which has already seen widespread opposition from Republicans and extensive lobbying from pro-oil interest groups, faces an uphill battle in the 50-50 split Senate.

During debate on the act Thursday, Rep. Porter delivered an impassioned speech accusing oil companies of driving their record profits by using their market power to unfairly increase prices.

“The oil and gas industry currently has more than 9,000 permits to drill for oil on federal land, but they are deliberately keeping production low to please their investors and increase their short-term profits,” she said. “Even when the price of crude oil falls, oil and gas companies have refused to pass those savings on to consumers.”

“Let me be clear: price gouging is anti-capitalist,” Porter continued. “It exploits a lack of competition, which is a hallmark of capitalism. It is an effort to juice corporate profits at the expense of customers. Energy markets are reeling because of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Big oil companies, however, are using this temporary chaos to cover up their abuse.”

See what others are saying: (The Washington Post) (Vox) (NPR)

Continue Reading

U.S.

Lincoln College to Close for Good After COVID and Ransomware Attack Ruin Finances

Published

on

Last year, 1,043 schools in the U.S. were the victim of ransomware attacks, including 26 colleges or universities, according to an analysis by Emsisoft.


One of the Only Historically Black Colleges in the Midwest Goes Down

After 157 years of educating mostly Black students in Illinois, Lincoln College will close its doors for good on Friday.

The college made the announcement last month, citing financial troubles caused by the coronavirus pandemic and a ransomware attack in December.

Enrollment dropped during the pandemic and the administration had to make costly investments in technology and campus safety measures, according to a statement from the school.

A shrinking endowment put additional pressure on the college’s budget.

The ransomware attack, which the college has said originated from Iran, thwarted admissions activities and hindered access to all institutional data. Systems for recruitment, retention, and fundraising were completely inoperable at a time when the administration needed them most.

In March, the college paid the ransom, which it has said amounted to less than $100,000. But according to Lincoln’s statement, subsequent projections showed enrollment shortfalls so significant the college would need a transformational donation or partnership to make it beyond the present semester.

The college put out a request for $50 million in a last-ditch effort to save itself, but no one came forward to provide it.

A GoFundMe aiming to raise $20 million for the college only collected $2,452 as of Tuesday.

Students and Employees Give a Bittersweet Goodbye

“The loss of history, careers, and a community of students and alumni is immense,” David Gerlach, the college’s president, said in a statement.

Lincoln counts nearly 1,000 enrolled students, and those who did not graduate this spring will leave the institution without degrees.

Gerlach has said that 22 colleges have worked with Lincoln to accept the remaining students, including their credits, tuition prices, and residency requirements.

“I was shocked and saddened by that news because of me being a freshman, so now I have to find someplace for me to go,” one student told WMBD News after the closure was announced.

When a group of students confronted Gerlach at his office about the closure, he responded with an emotional speech.

“I have been fighting hard to save this place,” he said. “But resources are resources. We’ve done everything we possibly could.”

On April 30, alumni were invited back to the campus to revisit the highlights of their college years before the institution closed.

On Saturday, the college held its final graduation ceremony, where over 200 students accepted their diplomas and Quentin Brackenridge performed the Lincoln Alma Mater.

Last year, 1,043 schools in the U.S. were the victim of ransomware attacks, including 26 colleges or universities, according to an analysis by Emsisoft.

See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (Herald Review) (CNN)

Continue Reading

U.S.

U.S. Tops One Million Coronavirus Deaths, WHO Estimates 15 Million Worldwide

Published

on

India’s real COVID death toll stands at about 4.7 million, ten times higher than official data, the WHO estimated.


One Million Dead

The United States officially surpassed one million coronavirus deaths Wednesday, 26 months after the first death was reported in late February of 2020.

Experts believe that figure is likely an undercount, since there are around 200,000 excess deaths, though some of those may not be COVID-related.

The figure is the equivalent of the population of San Jose, the tenth-largest city in the U.S., vanishing in just over two years. To put the magnitude in visual perspective, NECN published a graphic illustrating what one million deaths looks like.

At the beginning of the pandemic, the White House predicted between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans would die from the coronavirus in a best-case scenario.

By February 2021, over half a million Americans had died of COVID.

The coronavirus has become the third leading cause of death in the U.S. behind heart disease and cancer.

The pandemic’s effects go beyond its death toll. Around a quarter of a million children have lost a caregiver to the virus, including about 200,000 who lost one or both parents. Every COVID-related death leaves an estimated nine people grieving.

The virus has hit certain industries harder than others, with food and agriculture, warehouse operations and manufacturing, and transportation and construction seeing especially high death rates.

People’s mental health has also been affected, with a study in January of five Western countries including the U.S. finding that 13% of people reported symptoms of PTSD attributable to actual or potential contact with the virus.

Fifteen Million Dead

On Thursday, the World Health Organization estimated that nearly 15 million people have died from the pandemic worldwide, a dramatic revision from the 5.4 million previously reported in official statistics.

Between January 2020 and the end of last year, the WHO estimated that between 13.3 million and 16.6 million people died either due to the coronavirus directly or because of factors somehow attributed to the pandemic’s impact on health systems, such as cancer patients who were unable to seek treatment when hospitals were full of COVID patients.

Based on that range, scientists arrived at an approximate total of 14.9 million.

The new estimate shows a 13% increase in deaths than is usually expected for a two-year period.

“This may seem like just a bean-counting exercise, but having these WHO numbers is so critical to understanding how we should combat future pandemics and continue to respond to this one,” Dr. Albert Ko, an infectious diseases specialist at the Yale School of Public Health who was not linked to the WHO research, told the Associated Press.

Most of the deaths occurred in Southeast Asia, Europe, and the Americas.

According to the WHO, India counts the most deaths by far with 4.7 million, ten times its official number.

See what others are saying: (NBC) (U.S. News and World Report) (Scientific American)

Continue Reading