Connect with us

Entertainment

Megan Thee Stallion Calls Out Jokes About Her Shooting: I’m Real Life Hurt and Traumatized”

Published

on

  • On July 12, rapper Tory Lanez was arrested and charged for carrying a concealed weapon inside an SUV after an incident involving Megan Thee Stallion.
  • Megan later explained that she had been shot and underwent surgery to remove the bullets she was hit with. 
  • Later reports and rumors suggested that Lanez was responsible for shooting Megan after a dispute between them, however, there are not many confirmed details about what exactly happened.
  • Following days of memes and jokes, Megan slammed people for making light of her traumatic experience, saying, “Black women are so unprotected.”  

Initial Reports and Videos 

Just a day after telling the public that she had been shot, rapper Megan Thee Stallion slammed internet users for making light of her traumatic experience. 

In the early hours of Sunday, June 12, Los Angeles police officers responded to a call in Hollywood Hills. However, at the time, TMZ first reported that rapper Tory Lanez was arrested for having a weapon in a vehicle. The report claimed people were arguing in an SUV before someone fired shots in the air and the vehicle took off. It also said Meg Thee Stallion was at the scene and had suffered a cut on her foot believed to be from broken glass on the floor. 

After this report, questions appeared online about what actually happened and if Megan had also been arrested. Then on Wednesday, TMZ released footage of police detaining people who were inside the vehicle. Footage from another angle also spread online and was later obtained by TMZ. It showed a woman believed to be Megan walking towards police leaving a trail of blood on the floor with each step. 

Following this, all kinds of rumors began spreading, including some that suggested Megan had also been arrested or was involved in committing a crime. Megan finally set the record straight in a social media post on Thursday, calling the narrative she’s seen reported “inaccurate.”  

“I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me,” she said. 

She also clarified that she was not arrested and was taken to the hospital by police where she underwent surgery to remove the bullets, adding, “I’m incredibly grateful to be alive and that I’m expected to make a full recovery, but it was important to clarify the details about this traumatic night.”

Rumors About Who Shot Megan Circulate

That post ended up fueling even more rumors as people began to wonder who shot her and what Tory Lanez’s role was in this. In fact, some began to speculate that Lanez was defending her against someone else. 

However, that idea was previously shut down by people close to Megan. For instance, a producer who has worked with Megan said in a now-deleted tweet, “I hope y’all don’t believe he was defending her! This is a bullsh*t story.”

Deleted post from @LilJuMadeDaBeat

At one point, even Megan’s best friend Kelsey Nicole was accused of shooting Megan, which she eventually denied. 

But after Megan’s post, outlets like Page Six and TMZ reported that Lanez was the person who fired the shots. The reports suggested that an argument broke out between the musicians and allegedly escalated when Megan and Kelsey wanted to leave the car. 

A source told Page Six, ”Tory fired the shots from within the vehicle while Megan was outside trying to leave.” 

 “There is video and the police are investigating. This is a case of a man physically harming and abusing a woman.”

Still, concrete details about what really happened remain unclear. Police have said they are investigating and have asked for anyone with more information to come forward. 

Megan Responds to Jokes 

As all this news has unfolded, tons of internet users have made jokes and memes about both Megan and Tory Lanez.

Megan wasn’t having it and on Friday, she tweeted, “Black women are so unprotected & we hold so many things in to protect the feelings of others w/o considering our own. It might be funny to y’all on the internet and just another messy topic for you to talk about but this is my real life and I’m real life hurt and traumatized.”

Many agreed and have also been slamming people for joking about something so serious as the 25-year-old rapper tries to recover. Others argued that if a male had been shot, people might have reacted differently. 

As far as what is known about Lanez, he was booked at Hollywood jail for carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle and was released that same day on a $35,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in court on October 13. 

See what others are saying: (Billboard) (People) (Teen Vogue)

Entertainment

Disney Eviscerates Scarlett Johansson’s “Black Widow” Lawsuit as “Callous,” but Report Suggests Emma Stone and Emily Blunt May Follow Her Lead

Published

on

“There is no merit whatsoever to this filing,” the company said in an uncharacteristically blunt statement that was heavily criticized online. 


Johansson/Disney Lawsuit Gets Bitter

Disney has described a recent lawsuit from “Black Widow” actress Scarlett Johansson as “sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” but Johansson may have just unleashed what is to become an even bigger legal challenge for the House of Mouse. 

At the center of this dispute, Johansson alleges she lost $50 million because Disney opted for a dual streaming/theater release of “Black Widow,” which debuted in theaters and for $30 on Disney+ with Premier Access earlier this month. 

According to Johansson’s suit, her contract with Disney — which was negotiated prior to any hint of a pandemic — stipulated that “Black Widow” would see an exclusive theater release. Notably, the actress also said her contractual bonuses were tied to the movie’s box office performance, which is an extremely common practice with films featuring A-list celebrities.

Of course, when the pandemic hit — like many other industries — movies were upended. Pandemic-related changes meant that despite having an initial release date of May 2020, Marvel fans wouldn’t get a chance to see “Black Widow” for over a year. 

Still, Johansson said she tried to contact Disney to renegotiate her contract prior to the film’s ultimate release, but she claims the company was unresponsive. 

On Thursday, she then filed a complaint with the Los Angeles County Superior Court, with her attorney arguing that “Disney has enjoyed the benefits of having one of Hollywood’s top actresses promote its wholly owned subscription service at no additional cost to Disney, and with the intended effect of taking money out of that actress’ own pocket.”

Later Thursday, Disney claimed that it has “fully complied” with Johansson’s contract and that the streamed release of the film “has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”

“There is no merit whatsoever to this filing,” the company said in its uncharacteristically blunt statement.

Are Emma Stone and Emily Blunt Next?

Speaking of blunt, it was reported Friday that both Emily Blunt and Emma Stone may also file lawsuits against Disney’s dual streaming release of their films. 

In fact, according to an exclusive newsletter run by former Hollywood Reporter Editor Matt Belloni, Stone “is said to be weighing her options” over the dual release of “Cruella” in May. Meanwhile, he suggested Blunt could also take action or speak out following this weekend’s release of “Jungle Cruise.”

Belloni went on to describe Disney as “notoriously difficult to deal with” regarding such matters and claimed that many have simply been waiting for someone powerful enough to speak out. 

Disney Criticized for Its Response

Much of the public perception of the situation has led to overwhelming support for Johansson’s camp. Online, a slew of people lambasted Disney’s response, with many calling it a deflection. 

See what others are saying: (ScreenRant) (Newsweek) (Variety)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Candace Owens and Logan Paul in Talks to Debate

Published

on

A spokesperson confirmed to Insider Wednesday that the two have had “productive” conversations about the prospect offline.


Candace Owens Challenges Logan Paul to a Debate

Right-wing commentator Candace Owens and controversial YouTuber Logan Paul are in talks to engage in a political debate. Yes, you read that sentence correctly. 

Owens — best known for making false claims about the George Floyd protests, spreading COVID-19 misinformation, and seemingly saying that Adolf Hitler “just wanted to make Germany great” — first challenged Paul to a debate on Friday. It started with her sharing a year-old clip from Paul’s podcast where he spoke about the importance of fighting racism in the United States. 

“It is not enough to be ‘not racist.’ You have to be anti-racist,” he said.

“If you’re white, if you look like me, use your privilege,” he added. “And for those who do not think white privilege exists, you are fucking blind.” 

Because merely acknowledging the existence of racism appears to go against Owens’ core beliefs, she asked Paul to duke it out with her. 

“Logan loves to challenge people in the boxing ring,” she wrote. “I’d like to publicly challenge him to go a few rounds with me in a political debate. @LoganPaul—how about you stop by my show and explain to me how you’re *checks notes* more privileged than me because you’re white and I’m not?”

Spokesperson Confirms The Two Are in Talks

Paul  — best known for launching a boxing career and filming a YouTube video that showed a dead body in Japan’s “suicide forest” — said on Tuesday that he was “perplexed” by the offer, but was taking it seriously. 

I started to entertain this action, I ended up speaking with her, and there may be a future where we sit down and have a civil discourse because I think there’s some meat on this bone,” he said during the most recent episode of his “ImPaulsive” podcast. 

The internet star acknowledged that Owens’ main arena is politics, while his main arena is being a “fucking idiot” online. Still, he said he does care about these issues and has a “semi-intelligent brain,” so he thinks he could “hold [his] own.”

“Candace Owens, whether you can admit it or not, is a smart person,” Paul continued. “And so I guess I’m just curious because I just fucking fundamentally disagree with her and again, I think there’s room for a conversation.” 

A spokesperson for Owens confirmed to Insider on Wednesday that the two had a “productive” offline conversation and said a public political debate between the two is “very likely.”

“Although both of them disagree on a variety of topics, they are both much more interested in learning from one another and think people would benefit from hearing an honest discussion between two parties rather than a ‘gotcha’ moment that might play well for social media,” the spokesperson added.

See what others are saying: (Insider)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Finneas Slams Billie Eilish Troll Account for Attributing Fake Quotes to the Singer

Published

on

Eilish’s big brother said the account is spreading “relentless lies” and asked that it at least label itself as a satire account.


Troll Account Shares Fake Billie Eilish Quotes

Billie Eilish’s brother and collaborator Finneas took to Twitter Tuesday to address an account that has been sharing fake quotes attributed to his sister.

The account uses the handle @BilliesUpdatess and goes by the name of “Billie Eilish Updates” in its profile. It was created in July of 2021 and as of Wednesday morning, it had amassed a following of 1,100 people. On a quick glance, it looks just like any other update account a fan might make to share news about their favorite celebrity.

@BilliesUpdatess, however, is far from the standard adoring fan page. Of the over 300 tweets it has posted, several include screenshots of forged articles that make it look like Eilish said something either offensive or totally outlandish. One post claims Eilish defended her boyfriend after he was accused of supporting former president Donald Trump.

“At the end of the day, I fucking love him you know?” the phony statement reads. “It doesn’t matter if he made some homophobic comments in the past, people change. If he [Matthew] supports Donald Trump then I don’t care if it makes him happy. I support EVERY decision Mathew has to make, even the ones some of my fans don’t agree with, like maybe some of his icky comments.”

Screenshot @BilliesUpdatess

In another sham passage, Eilish says she thinks queerbaiting “is a really good thing!” In several others, the person behind the account comes up with artificial quotes to make it looks like Eilish is feuding with “driver’s license” singer Olivia Rodrigo. 

Screenshot @BilliesUpdatess

One post with a fake article ended up being retweeted 12,000 times. That tweet included Eilish claiming she longs to be poor.

Screenshot @BilliesUpdatess

“When I got rich, I started balling my eyes out,” the fake piece says. “I wanted to be poor so I can relate to most of my fans. I still want to be broke and poor, it looks really fun and cute.”

Finneas Slams Account

As the troll account started to gain traction, Finneas asked that people report and block it to minimize the spread of its “relentless lies.”

On Tuesday, he responded to a fan that tagged him in the @BilliesUpdatess tweet alleging his sister wanted to be poor. 

“Fake obviously,” Finneas wrote. “Honestly I just wish they’d label this account satire like the onion or something. I have no problem with a joke as long as people know it’s a joke.”

Screenshot @BilliesUpdatess

The account made several jokes about the fact that Finneas was calling it out, but it seems Eilish’s big brother got what he asked for. @BilliesUpdatess added “parody account” to its bio and the account was deleted as of Wednesday afternoon.

See what others are saying: (NME) (Uproxx) (E! News)

Continue Reading