Connect with us

U.S.

Fire Island Beachgoer Slammed for Partying While Having COVID-19

Published

on

  • Corey Hannon, a New York man, went viral after he posted on social media that he went to Fire Island beach despite believing he had recently contracted COVID-19.
  • While Hannon apologized, Fire Island and other beaches around the country were still packed with many tourists and locals over the Fourth of July weekend.
  • Many fear that could now lead to a spike in cases and most states have already been seeing their daily number of cases climb over the last few weeks.

Fire Island: Corey Hannon Viral Video

Spring Breakers and Memorial Day beachgoers sparked frustration earlier this year for flocking to the shores in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic. Now, celebrations over the Fourth of July weekend have prompted similar outrage.

One of the weekend’s most audacious beachgoers facing a slew of backlash online is Corey Hannon: a 27-year-old man who traveled to Fire Island Pines, New York less than two weeks after suspecting he had COVID-19.

Hannon went viral on social media Saturday after he posted a photo to his Instagram story that read: “I wanna Kiki but my body says, nope not yet… thought the COVID was gone.”

Hannon’s photo then began to circulate on social media, where he soon caught criticism for potentially exposing others to COVID-19 in the name of going to the beach. 

“They really need to charge people like this with something. Knowingly going out like that is ridiculous,” one person tweeted. 

The online eventually picked up so much traction that Hannon seemingly posted a response on Instagram later in the day.

“You know, I did have COVID,” he said. “Everyone knows I had COVID, and you know what I did? I sat in my fucking bedroom and quarantined myself for eight fucking days and suffered through COVID. And now I’m out celebrating, so go fuck yourself. I hope all of you get fucking COVID. You nasty, nasty trolls.”

While that video was only up for about 10 minutes according to Hannon, it was screen-recorded and shared by multiple people.

“8 WHOLE DAYS?!” one Twitter user sarcastically said. “Why, no one in the world has ever stayed home that long! What a hero! What a tower of strength! People will share the story of the man who stayed home for 8 days during a pandemic for generations to come.”

Hannon Apologizes

In a Facebook video on Sunday, Hannon apologized for his actions, saying that he would “never maliciously go out and infect people.”

“I am not a murderer. I’m not a bad person,” he said. “I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life and I think I’ve paid the price for them. I apologize if you think I’m a bad person because of this.”

In that post, Hannon explained his timeline with the virus, saying he started feeling ill on June 22. On June 30, he got tested for COVID-19. He then stayed in his apartment until July 3rd. The next day, the Fourth of July, he went to Fire Island—12 days after he became symptomatic.

According to the Centers for Disease Control: “You can be with others after: 3 days with no fever and Respiratory symptoms have improved and 10 days since symptoms first appeared.”

The CDC also has lengthy considerations for when and how to visit beaches.

In his Facebook video, Hannon apologized for even going to Fire Island in the first place and potentially infecting people.  

He said he deleted his original video about 10 minutes after it was posted because he meant to send it to a friend instead of his story. He also said that his test result still hasn’t come back yet, so he hasn’t actually tested positive for COVID-19.

Nonetheless, Hannon said he believes it was COVID-19 and that he should have stayed in.

Fire Island Fourth of July Party

While Hannon attracted most of the attention over the weekend, it wasn’t just him. In fact, on Saturday, Fire Island was packed. 

“Fuck Your mask,” Fire Island beachgoer Giancarlo Kristian Albanese said on Instagram. “Fuck your social distancing. Fuck your vaccine.”

Police were also called to the beach twice on Saturday over reports of people not social distancing and not wearing masks, however, police said they did not issue any citations. Monday morning the Island Pines Property Owners Association told local news outlets that police have agreed to shut down any beach party going forward.

“Please y’all, as things continue to open up / spiral out of control 😅 be responsible with yourself,” Queer Eye hair stylist Jonathan Van Ness said on Instagram Sunday. “If you’re partying, you are risking every single last one of our health.”

“Since black and brown people are dying at much higher rates your refusal to wear masks in crowded spaces is literally racist,” he added. “Have a good Sunday.”

As many have pointed out, the Fire Island incident took place in New York, a state that at one point, had one of the worst coronavirus outbreaks in the world. Because of that, many worry Fourth of July parties will lead to another spike in a couple of weeks. 

That’s on top of county officials planning to move from Phase 3 to Phase 4 on Wednesday. That move will open up colleges and non-essential businesses such as aquariums, though, it will still keep things like malls, gyms and movie theaters closed.

Other Beaches Packed

In fact, while this weekend was a very different Fourth of July for many, that didn’t stop others from traveling to beaches. 

In Virginia Beach, people still showed up in droves, even after the city cancelled its fireworks show to  “help keep Virginia Beach safe in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.”

At Rehoboth Beach in Delaware, similar crowds of people not wearing masks were reported. That’s despite the city amending its mask policy ahead of the weekend to include boardwalks and the sand.

On the west coast in California, people took to the beach in San Diego, even though many other beaches in Southern California were closed over the weekend as COVID cases in California continue to climb. On Sunday alone, the state recorded almost 11,800 cases. 

Florida clocked in just behind that with 11,500 cases. Across the whole of the United States, Sunday yielded more than 49,000 new cases. Though that didn’t break Thursday’s single-day record of 54,000 total U.S. cases. According to The New York Times, the number of COVID cases being recorded each day has been and still is climbing in most states.

Source: The New York Times, July 6
See what others are saying: (PIX 11) (Fox 5 New York) (Long Island News 12)

U.S.

AMC Will Set Movie Ticket Prices Based on Seat Locations

Published

on

The decision has faced backlash, but AMC executives claim it will ensure that “guests have more control over their experience.”


Sightline by AMC

AMC, the largest movie theater chain in the U.S., is changing its price metric by charging more at admission for preferred seats and offering value seats at a lower cost. 

The new pricing experiment is called Sightline by AMC, and it offers three different tiers. Value Sightline includes the seats right next to the screen, while Preferred Sightline includes seats that are centered and in the middle of the theater. The average seats, or Standard Sightline, will remain at the normal price of admission. 

“While every seat at AMC delivers an amazing moviegoing experience, we know there are some moviegoers who prioritize their specific seat and others who prioritize value moviegoing,” AMC’s executive vice president and CMO Eliot Hamlisch said to Variety. “Sightline at AMC accommodates both sentiments to help ensure that our guests have more control over their experience, so that every trip to an AMC is a great one.”

However, Sightline will not apply to AMC’s Discount Tuesday deal — every ticket will still be offered at $5 regardless of seat location. Sightline will also only apply to evening shows after 4:00 p.m.

The Reception

The movie theater giant has faced backlash for this new price structure, including from people in the entertainment industry.

“This is absurdly stupid & only creates unnecessary classism,” actor and director Seth Green wrote on Twitter. “AMCTheatres clearly focused on squeezing new profits anywhere possible. Trying to get people back into theaters? Don’t penalize folks with less to spend.” 

Actor Elijah Wood also condemned the change for disproportionately impacting lower-income families.

“The movie theater is and always has been a sacred democratic space for all and this new initiative by AMCTheatres would essentially penalize people for lower income and reward for higher income,” Wood wrote. 

This is not the first time AMC has experimented with its pricing. During the opening weekend of “The Batman” last year, AMC announced it would be charging $1 to $2 more for it compared to other movies playing at the same time. Back in 2019, the chain tested a different pricing initiative, charging more for movies “of the highest appeal” and making less in-demand movies cheaper. 

See what others are saying: (Variety) (Complex) (NowThis

Continue Reading

U.S.

Neo-Nazi Leader Charged in Plot to “Destroy Baltimore” By Attacking Substations — a Growing Trend

Published

on

Experts say that far-right extremist attacks on energy infrastructure have grown significantly in the last few years.


Conspiracy to Attack Maryland Energy Systems

A neo-Nazi leader who was recently released from prison and a woman he met while incarcerated were arrested on Monday for plotting to “completely destroy” the power grid in Baltimore, Maryland.

Special Agent in Charge Thomas J. Sobocinski of the FBI field office in Baltimore said in a press conference that the two had “conspired to inflict maximum harm on the power grid,” by targeting five electrical substations that serve 1.2 million people in central Maryland.

He noted that the pair ”were not just talking, but taking steps to fulfill their threats and further their extremist goals.”

Their plot, however, was foiled by law enforcement before they could put it into action, in large part because both extensively detailed their plans to an FBI informant on encrypted messaging apps.

Sobocinski described their extremist views as “racially or ethnically motivated.”

The neo-Nazi leader is the founder of a small but dangerous group called the Atomwaffen Division, which uses civil disorder and violence because they believe it will help spark a race war in the U.S. — a white supremacist theory known as “accelerationism.”

Authorities say that he previously plotted with his roommates — also members of the group — to attack energy facilities in Florida. Before he could, he was arrested and put in federal prison for possessing bomb-making materials.

During that time, he began to communicate with the woman, who was serving time in a separate facility in Maryland after being charged with robbing multiple convenience stores with a machete.

Authorities point to several pieces of evidence that indicate she too had been radicalized, including a statement she wrote that prosecutors say resembles a manifesto, in which she references Hitler, the Unabomber, and a far-right Norwegian terrorist and stated: “I would sacrifice **everything** for my people.”

The woman’s mother also told The Washington Post that she had become involved with neo-Nazi beliefs in prison, which she has been in and out of since 2006.

A Growing Trend

Federal law enforcement officials have said there is “no indication” the planned attack in Baltimore was connected to other attacks. The plot, however, comes on the heels of similar events.

In early December, there were a series of attacks on substations in North Carolina that were very reminiscent of what the pair in Maryland were plotting. In fact, prosecutors even said the neo-Nazi leader sent the FBI informant a video about that attack. 

While authorities have provided little information on a suspect or motive in North Carolina, it has been reported that they have zeroed in on two possibilities that both center around far-right extremism. 

Around the same time in December, there were also a series of attacks on the grid in the Pacific Northwest.

Researchers and homeland security officials have said that far-right extremists have been increasingly targeting energy infrastructure while operating under the neo-Nazi theory of accelerationism.

According to a study by the program on extremism at George Washington University released in September, white supremacist attempts to target energy systems “dramatically increased in frequency” from 2016 to 2022.

“Since 2019, white supremacist attacks plots against critical infrastructure systems have distinctly increased,” the study found.

Brian Harrell, a former Homeland Security official who oversaw infrastructure protection at the department, told The Post that he saw a noticeable surge in violent extremists talking about carrying out these attacks online.

“When digging into the ‘dark web,’ social media portals and chat rooms, we quickly see that targeting and destroying energy infrastructure is a tactic many extremist groups fantasize about,” he said.

Editor’s Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murders, suspected mass murderers, or those accused of committing violent crimes who may have been seeking attention or infamy. Therefore, we will not be linking to other sources, as they may contain these details.

Continue Reading

U.S.

College Board Changes AP African American Studies After Backlash From DeSantis Amid Education Culture War

Published

on

As requested by DeSantis, the College Board removed lessons on contemporary topics including Black Lives Matter, queer studies, and reparations.


College Board Rolls Out Curriculum

The College Board, which oversees Advanced Placement high school courses, announced an official curriculum framework for its new, landmark Advanced Placement African American studies on Wednesday.

The announcement, made on the first day of Black History Month, has faced scrutiny for seeming to scale back a number of relevant subjects that Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and other state education officials had criticized.

In January, DeSantis said that the new course would be banned in Florida unless changes were made, arguing that a draft version of the course was “woke.” 

Education officials claimed that the class, which had been in the making for nearly a decade, violated a recent state law dubbed the Stop WOKE Act. The legislation regulates public school instruction on race by banning critical race theory and any education that describes some groups as oppressed and others as privileged based on race or sex.

Democrats denounced DeSantis’ action as a political stunt and urged the College Board to maintain its principles.

According to reports, many historical topics like slavery largely remain intact from the previous draft. However, important contemporary issues like Black Lives Matter, affirmative action, queer studies, reparations, and intersectionality — all of which Florida leaders objected to — were removed from curriculum requirements and are no longer part of the AP exam.

Instead, those areas of study have been downgraded to be part of a list of options students can pursue for a mandatory research project. The College Board also added a new research project idea to that list that will certainly please the right: “Black conservatism.”

It has additionally been reported that the organization pulled names of multiple Black authors the state education officials had flagged as problematic, including many famous and pioneering Black scholars who wrote about critical race theory, the queer experience, and Black feminism. 

The College Board defended itself against criticism in a press release announcing the changes, claiming that the process of developing the framework “has operated independently from political pressure.”

DeSantis’ Ongoing Culture War

DeSantis’ attempts to influence the national curriculum of an AP course are just his latest in a much broader effort to control what is and is not taught in public schools.

Just one day before the College Board announced the revised course, the governor outlined what The New York Times described as “his most aggressive swing yet at the education establishment.”

Specifically, he proposed a massive overhaul to higher education in the state that would defund and eliminate diversity and equity programs, mandate courses on Western civilization, and reduce tenure protections that are essential to ensure professors have freedom of expression.

Furthermore, the effects of another law DeSantis signed last year are now just beginning to materialize. The policy, which went into effect this July, requires every school book to be age-appropriate, “free of pornography,” and “suited to student needs.” 

To follow those guidelines, school books have to be approved by a certified media specialist who has undergone specific training.

Notably, the law also states that teachers can be charged with third-degree felonies if they “knowingly or unknowingly” give students access to a book that the specialists say is harmful — meaning that they could face up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Last month, the state education department clarified that the rule does not just apply to school libraries, but also to any books a teacher keeps in their classroom too. 

Multiple outlets reported this week that records they obtained show at least two school districts have now directed teachers to either remove their books or hide them until review to avoid the possibility of going to jail.

See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (The Washington Post) (The Associated Press)

Continue Reading