Billie Eilish Unfollows Everyone on Instagram After Saying She’ll Unfollow Abusers
- Billie Elish posted photos to her Instagram story Tuesday asking people to DM her if she was following their abusers so she could stop as a way to support victims.
- She was then quickly criticized for following or having friendships with artists like Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, and XXXTentacion.
- She eventually deleted her posts and unfollowed some of the artists she was slammed for supporting, then unfollowed everyone all together except one person whose identity is hidden.
- Some were upset and felt she did so as was a way to avoid conflict by not singling out anyone she was unfollowing. Others think the outrage against her is misplaced.
Eilish Reposts Pledge to Unfollow Abusers
Singer Billie Eilish unfollowed everyone on Instagram Tuesday after alerting fans that she will unfollow abusers, prompting mixed reactions from people online.
Since the start of the #MeToo era, more and more people have been speaking out against their abusers, who oftentimes are high profile figures or people in positions of power. That has continued in recent weeks, with new accusations coming out against social media influencers and huge celebrities.
In response to this, many Instagram users have been sharing posts that read: “If I am following your abuser, DM me & I will unfollow them. I will support you,” and “If I am friends with your abuser DM me & that will change. I see you. I hear you. I believe you. Your story matters.”
Backlash Over Who Eilish Follows
Like many others have, Eilish posted that to her Instagram story and Twitter users say she was quickly called out for following and being friends with artists like Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, XXXTentacion, to name a few.
Bieber, who Eilish is known to be a huge fan of, was recently accused of sexual assault by two women, and later called one’s claims “factually impossible” in a series of tweets. Brown was convicted for physically assaulting Rihanna in 2009 and has continued to face serious accusations from others since then.
As far as XXXTentacion – a musician who faced a long string of criminal cases and controversies before he was murdered in 2018 – people noted that she was close friends with him despite knowing about his history, which included charges of false imprisonment, witness tampering, and aggravated battery of a pregnant victim.
Eilish Unfollows Everyone
According to internet users, Eilish took down her posts after around 30 minutes. However, she took her fans’ advice and unfollowed Bieber and Brown.
Eventually, she started unfollowed everyone, which was more than 600 different accounts.
As of Wednesday morning, she’s only following one user, but it’s unclear who because that information seems to be hidden. She also does not currently follow anyone on Twitter, however, she’s not typically active on that platform.
Internet Has Mixed Reactions
After learning what she had done, some fans were quick to praise her.
However, a lot of people were not happy. Many felt like she was doing this to avoid singling anyone out since people would obviously be paying close attention to who she was unfollowing.
Some say she did this to avoid conflict or backlash from their fans. Others said it basically defeated the whole purpose of her initial posts, making it an empty gesture.
Still, some say people are misplacing their frustrations by being angry at the singer rather than actual abusers.
Fans are also wondering if her massive unfollow spree is supposed to be some larger symbolic statement, but for now, Eilish has remained silent on the matter.
See what others are saying: (Daily Dot) (Independent) (Newsweek)
Max to Agrees to “Properly” Credit Writers and Directors After Facing Backlash For Lumping Them in As “Creators”
The company said the credits were laid out incorrectly due to “an oversight in the technical transition from HBO Max to Max.”
After film and television writers slammed Max for crediting all writers, producers, and directors as general “creators” on its platform, the company said it will be adjusting its credits display.
“We agree that the talent behind the content on Max deserve their work to be properly recognized,” the streaming service said in a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.
Max — the new rebrand of HBO Max that incorporates Discovery content — launched on Tuesday to much criticism. Amid glitches and app-switching confusion, the biggest backlash it faced was over the choice to lump creative roles into one credit section called “creators.” As one viral tweet noted, if a user were to select the film “Raging Bull,” the service’s display would not specifically credit Martin Scorsese as the director, rather, his name would be included at random with half a dozen other people, including writers and producers.
The decision was condemned by many in the industry who argued it minimizes writers and directors by not properly giving them credit where it is due. Especially amid the ongoing writers’ strike, and with directors and actors starting negotiations with studios, some took it as a slap in the face.
“The studios don’t want anyone to know our names,” writer Christina Strain tweeted. “It’s easier to pay us nothing if we’re faceless.”
“Another move from studios to diminish the role of writers, directors, actors and other craftspeople. Miss me wit this nonsense,” Jorge Rivera, the Vice-Chair of the Writers Guild’s Latinx Writers Committee, added.
In a statement, Directors Guild President Lesli Linka Glatter said that Warner Bros. Discovery’s choice to “collapse” these roles into one credit “while we are in negotiations with them is a grave insult to our members and our union.”
“The DGA will not stand for it,” Glatter continued.
WGA West President Meredith Stiehm claimed the move was “a credits violation,” as well as an insult “to the artists that make the films and TV shows that make their corporation billions.”
On Wednesday, Max said it would rework its crediting.
“We will correct the credits, which were altered due to an oversight in the technical transition from HBO Max to Max and we apologize for this mistake,” the platform said.
See what others are saying: (Gizmodo) (The Hollywood Reporter) (The Los Angeles Times)
A Quarter of Young British Men Support Andrew Tate’s Thoughts on Women
U.K. residents at large, however, do not view him favorably.
Even under house arrest in Romania, misogynist influencer Andrew Tate still holds substantial sway over young men.
According to data from YouGov that was obtained by The Independent, 26% of U.K. men between 18 and 29 years old who know of Tate agree with his views on women. That figure was largely the same for men between 30 and 39, as 28% agreed with Tate’s opinions on the subject.
Men in their 30s were slightly more likely to agree with Tate on his thoughts about masculinity. Three out of ten supported those views, compared to just a quarter of men 18 to 29.
Those statistics only include the thoughts of men who have heard of Tate, but per YouGov, most have. In the 18 to 29 group, 93% were familiar with him, and 86% of men in their 30s knew of him.
The U.K. at large was less aware of Tate, with just 63% of British adults having heard of him. Of that group, only 6% held a positive view of him.
Tate has faced substantial backlash for his sexist rhetoric over the years. In the past, he said that men should have “authority” over their wives or girlfriends, and that women should “bear some responsibility” for being raped. He was previously banned from Twitter over his extremist views on women but has since been allowed back on the platform.
He is currently being investigated in Romania for organized crime and human trafficking. He was arrested and held in custody in December but was released to house arrest earlier this year. No formal charges have been filed against him yet and he has maintained his innocence.
Tate currently boasts a Twitter following of 6.7 million. It has grown significantly since he was enveloped in legal controversy, and many of his supporters have demanded his release.
See what others are saying: (The Independent) (Glamour U.K.)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Involved in “Near Catastrophic” Paparazzi Chase
“While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety,” a spokesperson for the couple said.
“Aggressive” Paparazzi Chase Couple in New York
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were involved in a “near catastrophic” paparazzi car chase Tuesday night in New York City, according to a spokesperson for the couple.
In a statement, the spokesperson described the photographers as “highly aggressive.”
“While being a public figure comes with a level of interest from the public, it should never come at the cost of anyone’s safety,” the statement added.
“This relentless pursuit, lasting over two hours, resulted in multiple near collisions involving other drivers on the road, pedestrians and two NYPD officers,” it continued.
Details of the incident are still emerging, but BBC News reported that there are claims the chase involved roughly six cars driving recklessly by running red lights, driving on the sidewalk, carrying out blocking moves, going backward on a one-way road, and taking pictures while driving.
The chase happened after Harry and Meghan were leaving the Women of Vision Awards with Meghan’s mother, Doria. They did not want photographers to learn where they were staying and attempted to avoid them in what turned into a 75-minute chase on a main road in Manhattan’s Upper East Side. They eventually ducked into a New York Police Department Precinct to hide out before getting into a different vehicle.
The NYPD released a statement confirming that they assisted in protecting the couple as “numerous photographers” hindered their transport. Officials said they made it to their destination and there were no collisions, injuries, or arrests.
The couple’s spokesperson is asking the public to not share or post footage of the incident.
“Dissemination of these images, given the ways in which they were obtained, encourages a highly intrusive practice that is dangerous to all in involved,” the spokesperson said.
Memories of Princess Diana
The chase evokes the brutal press hounding Harry’s mother, Princess Diana, was subjected to throughout her life. The paparazzi’s obsession with her ultimately resulted in her death in 1997, when she was killed in a car crash after being chased by photographers in Paris.
Since marrying Meghan and later bowing out of the Royal Family, Harry has made it explicitly clear that he fears those events could happen again. Meghan has been the subject of endless tabloid scrutiny, enduring racism and harassment from the press. Part of the reason they left the Royal Family was to keep their family protected from such attacks.
Mayor Eric Adams brought up Diana’s tragic passing while speaking about Tuesday night’s chase.
“I don’t think there’s many of us who don’t recall how [Harry’s] mom died,” Adams said while speaking to reporters. “And it would be horrific to lose an innocent bystander during a chase like this and something to have happened to them as well…I think that was a bit reckless and irresponsible.”
Adams also questioned whether or not he believes a chase could go on for two hours in a city as congested as New York, but noted that even a 10-minute chase would be dangerous. He said he will be briefed on the exact timeline and details later.