- Confederate and other slave-related monuments across the country—and even internationally—are being defaced and torn down by protesters.
- In Richmond, Virginia, a judge ordered a 10-day injunction against Governor Ralph Northam after Northam announced plans to remove a statue of General Robert E. Lee.
- The Marine Corps has now banned the use of the Confederate flag, saying it has been “co-opted by violent extremist and racist groups.”
Protesters Are Toppling Confederate Monuments
Amid the massive surge of calls to end police brutality following the death of George Floyd, protesters are also renewing efforts to remove Confederate monuments and symbols.
In many cases, protesters have started taking the situations into their own hands by defacing the monuments with messages like “Black lives matter” and “No justice, no peace.” In other situations, protesters have skipped waiting for their local governments to remove them—a process that can take years in some areas—and toppled the statues themselves.
On June 6, a statue of Confederate General Williams Carter Wickham in Richmond, Virginia, was pulled down by protesters. In Birmingham, Alabama, protesters tore down a similar Confederate statue on May 31.
The removal of statues invoking the idea of slavery hasn’t only occured in the United States. In Bristol, England on Sunday, protesters tied ropes around a statue of Edward Colston, a local merchant who made most of his fortune from trading slaves in the late 1600s. They then pulled that statue down before rolling it down the street and dumping it in the harbor.
In several images, black protesters stood atop the base of the monument where that statue had been.
Where Colston used to be. God I love my city pic.twitter.com/XiVtB6Njvy— Missyy (@MissyyReed) June 7, 2020
Some, such as Prime Minister Boris Johnson, called the protesters’ move a “criminal act” and promised to prosecute the individuals involved.
Others, like one of the protest’s organizers Katie Finnegan-Clarke, told NPR that she found the action “poetic.” She added that Colston’s statue had been “dragged across the city and essentially thrown overboard into the water,” similar to how “so many people had suffered under his regime during the slave trade.”
Back in the U.S., overnight on Monday, local news agencies in Jacksonville, Florida reported that the monument of a Confederate infantryman had been removed. According to the city’s mayor Tuesday morning, he plans to take down more statues around the city.
In Fredericksburg, Virginia, the city removed a 176-year-old slave auction block from downtown after it was defaced.
In Mobile, Alabama, Mayor Sandy Stimpson said the city decided to take down a statue of a Confederate naval officer after it was defaced. In a tweet, Stimpson addressed a common issue many take with removing statues, saying the move “is not an attempt to rewrite history.”
The University of Alabama began removing plaques on Monday dedicated to students who served in the Confederate army and student cadet corps. It was also later reported that the university is reviewing all building names, with the Student Government Association urging it to change “the names of campus buildings with racist namesakes.”
Judge Blocks Northam’s Order to Remove Lee Statue
Richmond, Virginia has also stepped into the center of the debate on whether or not to remove Confederate statues. Last week, Governor Ralph Northam ordered that an iconic but controversial statue of Robert E. Lee be taken down.
According to Northam, it would then be placed in storage while a decision was made on what to do with it.
Notably, the 12-ton statue has been a major focal point of the protests in Richmond, with demonstrators crowding around it, many defacing its 40-foot-tall pedestal.
In a move not uncommon for these types of situations, a lawsuit has been mounted against Northam for trying to remove the statue. Because of that, on Monday, a judge ordered a 10-day injunction preventing Northam from removing that statue.
There, the judge argued that Northam’s directive is a violation of an 1890 deed filed in Henrico County, which states that the commonwealth “guaranteed” to place the 12-ton statue and its 40-foot pedestal in its existing location and to “faithfully guard it and affectionately protect it.”
Part of the uncertainty revolving around whether the state can legally remove the statue is because Richmond annexed it and the surrounding land to the state in the 1890’s. As part of the deal, the state then agreed to that deed.
Still, according to Northam’s press secretary, Northam “remains committed to removing this divisive symbol from Virginia’s capital city, and we’re confident in his authority to do so.”
Tuesday morning, in a tweet, Northam said, “Make no mistake: it will come down.”
Marines Ban Display of Confederate Flags
It’s not just Confederate monuments. Many are also calling for agencies and governments to disavow the use of Confederate namesakes and the Confederate Battle Flag.
On Monday, the U.S. Army said that Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy and Secretary of Defense Mark Esper are open to holding a “bipartisan conversation” about renaming nearly a dozen major bases.
Still, nothing has been officially confirmed.
On Friday, the Marine Corps took a much more solid stance by banning the use of the Confederate flag—even on everyday objects like bumper stickers and mugs.
“The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted by violent extremist and racist groups whose divisive beliefs have no place in our Corps,” the military branch said in a statement.
This order will not apply to historical paintings where the Confederate flag is depicted but not the subject. It also will not include flags which depict the symbol, such as Mississippi’s flag.
In 2001, Mississippi held a vote on whether or not to keep that flag, but the state ultimately voted to keep it.
Because of that, Governor Tate Reeves has argued that it’s not up to elected leaders to change it.
Still, activists argue that not only is the state’s population 38% black, currently, no one under the age of 37 in the state has ever been able to vote on whether or not to keep it.
Bodycam Footage Shows Adam Toledo Wasn’t Holding Gun When an Officer Shot Him
- Chicago officials released body camera footage Thursday which showed that 13-year-old Adam Toledo, who was shot and killed by police last month, had put his hands up in the air right before the officer opened fire.
- The graphic video showed the officer, who has now been identified as Eric Stillman, yelling at Adam to stop as he chases him through an alley.
- The teenager obeyed and stopped by a fence, where he can be seen holding what appears to be a gun behind his back. Stillman ordered him to drop it, and then shot him a split second after Adam raised his empty hands in the air.
- The footage prompted renewed outrage, protests, and calls for an investigation. A lawyer for the Toledo family called the killing “an assassination,” while Stillman’s lawyer defended the officer, and claimed he acted appropriately.
Officer Bodycam Footage Made Public
Body camera footage released by Chicago officials Thursday showed that Adam Toledo, a 13-year-old boy killed by police last month, had his hands up when he was fatally shot.
The footage, which was released as part of a report by the city’s Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA), showed officers chasing Adam, who was Latino, through an alley in the predominantly Latino neighborhood of Little Village during the early hours of March 29.
The officer ordered Adam to stop. The teenager complied and halted by the side of a fence, holding what looks like a gun in one of his hands behind his back. The policeman yelled at him to drop it and show his hands.
Adam turned and lifted his empty hands, and the officer fired his weapon, striking the teenager once in the chest. The policeman is then seen administering CPR and asking him, “You alright? Where you shot?” while blood poured out of his mouth.
The COPA report published Thursday also identified the officer who shot Adam as 34-year-old Eric Stillman, who is white, and whose lawyer said he had been put on administrative duties for 30 days.
Stillman’s lawyer also argued that the shooting was justified, as did John Catanzara, president of the Fraternal Order of Police.
“He was 100% right,” Catanzara said. “The offender still turned with a gun in his hand. This occurred in eight-tenths of a second.”
Renewed Backlash and Protests
Adeena Weiss Ortiz, an attorney obtained by Adam’s family, said they are looking into taking legal action against Stillman.
“If you’re shooting an unarmed child with his arms in the air, it’s an assassination,” she said at a news conference Thursday.
Ortiz acknowledged the bodycam footage did appear to show Adam holding something that “could be a gun,” but argued the video must be independently analyzed to confirm.
“It’s not relevant because he tossed the gun,” she said. “If he had a gun, he tossed it.”
The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois also echoed Ortiz’s demands on Thursday, calling for a “complete and transparent” investigation.
“The video released today shows that police shot Adam Toledo even though his hands were raised in the air,” said Colleen Connell, executive director of the ACLU of Illinois.
“The people of Chicago deserve answers about the events surrounding this tragic interaction. The anger and frustration expressed by many in viewing the video is understandable and cannot be ignored.”
Hours before the video was released, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot pleaded for calm in the city, where anti-police protests have taken place in the weeks following the shooting.
“We must proceed with deep empathy and calm and importantly, peace,” she said. “No family should ever have a video broadcast widely of their child’s last moments, much less be placed in the terrible situation of losing their child in the first place.”
Some businesses in downtown Chicago boarded prepared for violence ahead of the video’s publication by boarding up their windows. City vehicles stood by to block traffic.
However, the demonstrations that took place Thursday were small, peaceful, and spread out over several parts of the city. Organizers said they plan to hold more protests Friday.
See what others are saying: (The Chicago Sun-Times) (The New York Times) (The Chicago Tribune)
Eight Dead in Indianapolis Shooting
- Eight people were killed and several more were injured after a gunman opened fire at a FedEx Ground Facility in Indianapolis late Thursday.
- The gunman took his life after opening fire. Authorities have not identified his motive yet.
- According to the Gun Violence Archive, in 2021, there have been 147 U.S. mass shootings, defined as verified incidents with four or more gunshot victims.
- President Joe Biden released a statement calling gun violence “an epidemic in America,” adding, “We should not accept it. We must act.”
Eight Killed in Shooting
Eight people were killed and several others have been wounded after a gunman opened fire at a FedEx Ground Facility in Indianapolis late Thursday.
The gunman killed four people in the parking lot then four people inside before taking his own life, according to local officials. Authorities have identified the gunman and are searching his home, but have not disclosed any potential motives.
“There was no confrontation with anyone that was there,” Deputy Chief Craig McCartt of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said during a press conference. “There was no disturbance, there was no argument. He just appeared to randomly start shooting.”
Several witnesses told local outlets they initially thought the gunshots were engines backfiring or another type of mechanical noise until they saw the gunman. Some said they heard him shouting indistinctly before opening fire. The investigation is still in very early stages and victims have not yet been identified.
The facility employs 4,500 team members. It is unclear how many were working at the time of the shooting. FedEx released a statement expressing its condolences to the victims and their families.
“We are deeply shocked and saddened by the loss of our team members following the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis,” the statement read. “Our most heartfelt sympathies are with all those affected by this senseless act of violence. The safety of our team members is our top priority, and we are fully cooperating with investigating authorities.”
Gun Violence in the U.S.
This tragedy follows a recent string of mass shootings in the U.S., including in Atlanta, Colorado, Southern California, and Texas. According to the Associated Press, this is at least the third in Indianapolis this year.
The Gun Violence Archive has logged a total of 147 mass shootings in the U.S. so far in 2021. The organization defines mass shootings as reported and verified incidents with at least four gunshot victims.
Several politicians have released statements about the shooting, including Vice President Kamala Harris, who said this pattern “must end.”
“Yet again we have families in our country that are grieving the loss of their family members because of gun violence,” she said. “There is no question that this violence must end, and we are thinking of the families that lost their loved ones.”
President Joe Biden also released a statement saying that, “Too many Americans are dying every single day from gun violence. It stains our character and pierces the very soul of our nation.”
“Gun violence is an epidemic in America,” Biden added. “But we should not accept it. We must act.”
Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett echoed those remarks in a news conference.
“The scourge of gun violence that has killed far too many in our community and in our country,” he said.
“Our prayers are with the families of those whose lives were cut short,” he added on Twitter.
Hogsett is among 150 U.S. mayors who recently signed a letter asking the Senate to take up gun legislation, including expanding background checks.
Editor’s Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murders or suspected mass murderers who may have been seeking attention or infamy. Therefore, we will not be linking to other sources, as they may contain these details.
Soldier Charged With Assault After Shoving Black Man in Viral Video
- Authorities charged Army soldier Jonathan Pentland with third-degree assault and battery on Wednesday after a viral video showed him shoving a Black man while yelling at him to leave a South Carolina neighborhood.
- Many people, including dozens who protested outside Pentland’s home this week, condemned the confrontation as another instance of someone being attacked for “walking while Black.”
- Pentland and others claimed the unidentified man was picking a fight with neighbors, which the man denied, but police said nothing that may have happened earlier justified Pentland’s actions.
- If convicted, Pentland faces a $500 fine and 30 days in jail.
A U.S. soldier was charged with assault on Wednesday after a video that circulated online showed him yelling at and shoving a Black man in a South Carolina neighborhood.
Footage of the April 8 incident was posted to social media Monday. It shows the Army soldier, Jonathan Pentland, confronting the unidentified man and telling him to leave the neighborhood.
The other man explains that he’s just walking through the area and doing nothing wrong, but Pentland becomes increasingly aggressive. “You better walk away,” he shouts at the man after shoving him.
“You either walk away, or I’m gonna carry your ass out of here,” he continues before adding, “You’re in the wrong neighborhood motherf*ker. Get out!”
The man then tries to tell Pentland that he lives in the neighborhood, and Pentland then asks for his address, which he does not give.
The confrontation continues with Pentland cursing and getting in the man’s face. As he does so, the man says that Pentland smells drunk.
It’s unclear what exactly led up to the confrontation, but in the video, a woman off-camera says the man “picked a fight with some random young lady that’s one of our neighbors.”
“I don’t even know who she is. Nobody picked a fight when someone ran up on me,” the man replies. Another woman off-screen then encourages the man to leave with her, saying, “What’s your name? Come on. You don’t want no trouble.”
Video Triggers Protests Outside Pentland’s Home
After this video spread online, many social media users condemned it as another instance of someone being attacked for “walking while Black.”
In fact, protesters even began demonstrating outside of Penland’s home. Those protests started off peaceful, but deputies were then called after 8 p.m. because unknown individuals vandalized the house. That forced police to shut down access to the area and remove Pentland’s family to another location.
As far as the viral video, deputies were told that the man approached “several neighbors in a threatening manner” and that someone had asked Pentland to “intervene.”
Police did confirm that there are two reports of alleged assault against the unnamed man Pentland shoved that are being investigated. However, they also added that the man has “an underlying medical condition that may explain the behavior exhibited in the alleged incidents.”
Either way, police said whatever happened earlier did not justify Pentland’s actions. He was ultimately arrested Wednesday morning and was charged with third-degree assault and battery. He faces a $500 fine and 30 days in jail if convicted.
“We’re not going to let people be bullies in our community,” Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said at a news conference Wednesday. “And if you are, you’re going to answer for it, and that’s what we’ve done in this case.”
On top of that, the Justice Department reportedly was investigating. Pentland’s Commanding General even issued a statement condemning his behavior, adding that Pentland “brought disrespect to @fortjackson our Army and the trust with the public we serve.”