Connect with us

U.S.

Georgia Business Owners and Mayors Criticize Governor’s Plan to Reopen Stores Friday

Published

on

  • After Georgia Governor Brian Kemp announced that he would reopen businesses like gyms, bowling alleys, and hair salons on Friday, many business owners said they will remain closed anyway.
  • Kemp’s decision is the broadest rollback of state stay-at-home orders so far, and he also plans to reopen restaurants and movie theaters on Monday.
  • Mayors of some of Georgia’s largest cities have also urged people to continue staying at home, but Kemp’s order renders them powerless to impose local restrictions.

Businesses Divided As Georgia Reopens

Georgia will begin plans to restart its economy on Friday by allowing various types of businesses to reopen, but those plans haven’t set in well for some business owners.

Specifically, the state will begin allowing gyms, bowling alleys, tattoo parlors, barbers, hair and nail salons, and massage therapy businesses to reopen their doors once more. By Monday, a second wave of reopenings will include dine-in restaurants and movie theaters.

While Governor Brian Kemp said those businesses will need to follow social-distancing and sanitation guidelines, this is still the broadest rollback of stay-at-home orders from a state so far. 

Because that order was so broad, many small business owners said they’d been caught off-guard and that they weren’t expecting to reopen the state so soon. Some even said they would need more than just a few days to ramp back up.

Other business owners were critical of this move in general, some saying they’d refuse to reopen before health experts said it was safe to do so.

“It’s putting economics before lives,” Diane Fall, owner of Maxim Barbers in suburban Atlanta, told The Wall Street Journal. “[Kemp’s] putting it out there like he’s doing us a favor, but I’d rather be alive than run my business right now.”

In fact, many business owners in Fall’s line of work have argued that people can’t properly socially distance in places like barbershops and nail salons. 

Alan Marsh, a pet shop owner, also told the WSJ that even though his revenue is down by a third and he’s lost employees, he will continue to fulfill online and phone orders only. Marsh then went a step further, saying that if he discovered one of his employees had been out to a restaurant or shop, he would take them off the schedule. 

That’s not to say Kemp’s order has been met with complete criticism. Many business owners have applauded the move, which will potentially allow them to retain and pay employees. Others have been more cautious about reopening, saying they like the idea, but if businesses mishandle the reopenings, they may have to shut back down.

At Odds with Kemp, Mayors Urge People to Stay Home

Notably, it’s not just business owners who were caught off guard by this decision. The mayors of Savannah, Augusta, and Atlanta have all said that they hadn’t heard about Kemp’s plan until he publicly announced it on Monday. 

Like many businesses, those mayors have criticized Kemp’s decision.

“I’m perplexed that we have opened up in this way,” Atlanta mayor Keisha Bottoms told CNN, “and again, I can’t stress enough, I work very well with our governor and I look forward to having a better understanding of his reasoning is, but as I look at the data, and as I talk with our public health officials, I don’t see that it’s based on anything that’s logical.” 

Savannah Mayor Van Johnson called the move “reckless, premature and dangerous.”

Despite those criticisms, mayors in Georgia actually now have less power than businesses do when it comes to the decision over whether to reopen or not. That’s because Kemp’s order will be implemented statewide, meaning that local governments can’t overturn or restrict it.

Still, that hasn’t stopped local leaders from continuing to urge people to stay home. In addition to Bottoms and Johnson, the mayors of Augusta and Albany have encouraged people to not go out to stores just yet.

Albany’s mayor, Bo Dorough, said he plans to ask Kemp to make an exception for the city, which has become one of the worst coronavirus hotspots in the country

Kemp Defends His Decision and Other States Move To Reopen

Kemp has defended his decision, with a spokesman for him saying, “We can’t have shelter-in-place forever and we can’t have how businesses operated last fall, or even a month ago. We have to find a way to a happy medium.”

Even though Georgia is opening the fastest, it’s certainly not the only state that has started to reopen—especially in the South.

Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced that his state’s stay-at-home order will be lifted at the end of the month and that most businesses will reopen by May 1st.

Ohio is also planning to roll out a gradual reopening on May 1st. 

In South Carolina, as of Tuesday, places like beaches and department stores have already reopened at reduced capacity. Like Georgia, there has been some criticism there for opening nonessential businesses so early; however, unlike Georgia, local municipalities can still restrict some reopenings such as beaches.

“I support what South Carolina Governor @henrymcmaster announced yesterday —  a small reopening of our state’s economy with a focus on social distancing,” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said on Twitter Tuesday. “I worry that our friends and neighbors in Georgia are going too fast too soon.”

Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee all have yet to meet White House guidelines that recommend states should begin a phased reopening only after 14 days of a sustained decrease in coronavirus cases.

See what others are saying: (The Wall Street Journal) (NBC News) (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

U.S.

Florida School Says Students Vaccinated Against COVID-19 Must Stay Home for 30 Days

Published

on

The school falsely claimed that people who have just been vaccinated risk “shedding” the coronavirus and could infect others.


Centner Academy Vaccination Policy

A private school in Florida is now requiring all students who get vaccinated against COVID-19 to quarantine for 30 days before returning to class.

According to the local Miami outlet WSVN, Centner Academy wrote a letter to parents last week describing COVID vaccines as “experimental” and citing anti-vaccine misinformation.

“If you are considering the vaccine for your Centner Academy student(s), we ask that you hold off until the Summer when there will be time for the potential transmission or shedding onto others to decrease,” the letter reportedly stated.

“Because of the potential impact on other students and our school community, vaccinated students will need to stay at home for 30 days post-vaccination for each dose and booster they receive and may return to school after 30 days as long as the student is healthy and symptom-free.”

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has debunked the false claim that those newly vaccinated against COVID-19 can “shed” the virus.

According to the agency’s COVID myths page, vaccine shedding “can only occur when a vaccine contains a weakened version of the virus,” but “none of the authorized COVID-19 vaccines in the United States contain the live virus that causes COVID-19. This means that a COVID-19 vaccine cannot make you sick with COVID-19.”

In fact, early research has suggested that vaccinated people are less likely to spread the virus than unvaccinated people.

Beyond that, unvaccinated people are more likely to spread COVID in general because they are much more likely to get the virus than vaccinated people. According to recently published CDC data, as of August, unvaccinated people were six times more likely to get COVID than vaccinated people and 11 times more likely to die from the virus.

Centner Academy Continues Spread of Misinformation

In a statement to The Washington Post Monday, Centner Academy co-founder David Centner doubled down on the school’s new policy, which he described as a “precautionary measure” based on “numerous anecdotal cases that have been in circulation.”

“The school is not opining as to whether unexplained phenomena have a basis in fact, however we prefer to err on the side of caution when making decisions that impact the health of the school community,” he added.

The new rule echoes similar efforts Centner Academy has made that run counter to public health guidance and scientific knowledge.

In April, the school made headlines when its leadership told vaccinated school employees that they were not allowed to be in contact with any students “until more information is known” and encouraged employees to wait until summer to get the jab.

According to The New York Times, the following week, a math and science teacher allegedly told students not to hug their vaccinated parents for more than five seconds.

The outlet also reported that the school’s other co-founder, Leila Centner, discouraged masking, but when state health officials came for routine inspections, teachers said they were directed in a WhatsApp group to put masks on.

See what others are saying: (WSVN) (The Washington Post) (Business Insider)

Continue Reading

U.S.

Katie Couric Says She Edited Ruth Bader Ginsburg Quote About Athletes Kneeling During National Anthem

Published

on

Couric said she omitted part of a 2016 interview in order to “protect” the justice.


Kate Couric Edited Quote From Justice Ginsburg

In her upcoming book, journalist Katie Couric admitted to editing a quote from Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg in 2016 in order to “protect” Ginsberg from potential criticism. 

Couric interviewed the late justice for an article in Yahoo News. During their discussion, she asked Ginsburg about her thoughts on athletes like Colin Kaepernick kneeling for the national anthem to protest racial inequality.

“I think it’s really dumb of them,” Ginsburg is quoted saying in the piece. “Would I arrest them for doing it? No. I think it’s dumb and disrespectful. I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it’s a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn’t lock a person up for doing it. I would point out how ridiculous it seems to me to do such an act.”

According to The Daily Mail and The New York Post, which obtained advance copies of Couric’s book “Going There,” there was more to Ginsburg’s response. Couric wrote that she omitted a portion where Ginsburg said the form of protest showed a “contempt for a government that has made it possible for their parents and grandparents to live a decent life…Which they probably could not have lived in the places they came from.

Couric Says She Lost Sleep Making Choice

“As they became older they realize that this was youthful folly,” Ginsberg reportedly continued. “And that’s why education is important.

According to The Daily Mail, Couric wrote that the Supreme Court’s head of public affairs sent an email asking to remove comments about kneeling because Ginsburg had misspoken. Couric reportedly added that she felt a need to “protect” the justice, thinking she may not have understood the question. Couric reached out to her friend, New York Times reporter David Brooks, regarding the matter and he allegedly likewise believed she may have been confused by the subject. 

Couric also wrote that she was a “big RBG fan” and felt her comments were “unworthy of a crusader for equality.” Because she knew the remarks could land Ginsburg in hot water, she said she “lost a lot of sleep” and felt “conflicted” about whether or not to edit them out. 

Couric was trending on Twitter Wednesday and Thursday as people questioned the ethics behind her choice to ultimately cut part of the quote. Some thought the move showed a lack of journalistic integrity while others thought revealing the story now harmed Ginsburg’s legacy.

See what others are saying: (New York Post) (The Daily Mail) (Insider)

Continue Reading

U.S.

Biden Administration Orders ICE To Halt Workplace Raids

Published

on

The Department of Homeland Security will now focus on targeting employers who exploit undocumented workers, instead of carrying out raids that dissuade those workers from reporting labor violations.


DHS Reverses Worksite Raid Policy

The Biden administration announced Tuesday that it was ordering Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to stop workplace raids.

The move marks a reversal from Trump administration policies that have been strongly criticized by immigration activists who argue the efforts created fear in immigrant communities and dissuaded them from reporting labor violations or exploitative employment practices.

In addition to stopping the raids, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a memo that the administration will refocus enforcement efforts to instead target “employers who exploit unauthorized workers, conduct illegal activities or impose unsafe working conditions.” 

Mayorkas added that the immigration agencies housed in DHS will have the next 60 days to identify harmful existing policies and come up with new ones that provide better deportation protections for workers who report their employers.

In the Tuesday memo, the secretary argued that shift of focus will “reduce the demand for illegal employment by delivering more severe consequences to exploitative employers” and “increase the willingness of workers to report violations of law by exploitative employers and cooperate in employment and labor standards investigation.”

Labor Market Implications

The new policy comes at a time when the U.S. is experiencing a critical labor shortage, including in many sectors that rely on immigrant labor.

Some companies that use undocumented workers pay them wages that are far below the market rate, which is not only exploitative but also undercuts competitors.

According to Mayorkas, the pivot to employer-based enforcement will help protect American businesses.

“By exploiting undocumented workers and paying them substandard wages, the unscrupulous employers create an unfair labor market,” he said in the memo. “They also unfairly drive down their costs and disadvantage their business competitors who abide by the law.”

It is currently unclear how effective the new efforts will be, but historical precedent does not paint an optimistic picture.

The Biden administration’s efforts closely mirror a similar move by the Obama administration, which attempted to reverse workplace raids authorized under President George W. Bush by targetting those who employ undocumented workers rather than the workers themselves.

That effort, however, still led to thousands of undocumented workers being fired.

See what others are saying: (The Washington Post) (The New York Times) (ABC News)

Continue Reading