Connect with us

U.S.

Numerous Glitches Reported With Stimulus Check Distribution

Published

on

  • Many Americans have reported problems with the IRS portal that tracks stimulus payments and lets people sign up for direct deposit.
  • Numerous people took to Twitter to say they had received a message that said “Payment Status Not Available,” after entering their information, prompting the topic to trend on Twitter.
  • While an IRS spokesperson said the message was due to the site being overloaded, the IRS posted a contradictory statement, providing no information but insisting the site was working fine.
  • Others have reported that their money was sent to the wrong bank account and that deceased people received checks.

Stimulus Check Portal Problems

Millions of Americans have begun receiving their stimulus checks, but the first week of distributing the money has not gone as smoothly as many hoped.

Several people have taken to Twitter or spoken to reporters about a wide range of issues they have faced with the much-needed checks.

One of the most common problems stems from the “Get My Payment” portal the IRS rolled out Wednesday. The portal is supposed to let people track the status of their payments and allow others who had not signed up for direct deposit to give the IRS their banking information.

But people started having problems with the site early on. Many reported that after entering their personal information in the portal, they were met with the message: “Payment Status Not Available.” 

“According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time,” the message continued.

Numerous Twitter users shared their experiences, causing the topic to trend on the platform. 

Some people said the IRS had their direct deposit information from their taxes, and that they had filed taxes this year or last year.

Others said they could not get through to the IRS and that they did not know what to do next because the FAQ page provided very little information.

IRS Gives Contradictory Information

Currently, the IRS FAQ page does have a section on “Payment Status Not Available,” but all it does is provide four reasons why people might be getting that message.

One of the reasons they provide is simply that the user is not eligible for the money. Other reasons include failing to file taxes when required, filing taxes or providing information through the non-filer portal too recently to process, and being a recipient of Social Security or Veterans Affairs benefits.

However, on Wednesday afternoon, a spokesman for the IRS gave CNBC another explanation.

“What happened is instead of having an error message or a message saying the system is very busy, it just says your information isn’t in here, that was the default,” he said, adding that the problem should be fixed now.

Just be patient, check back later. If you filed last year’s or this year’s taxes we have your information,” the spokesman continued. “Go to the IRS website, literally 99% of all the questions are answered right there.”

But the FAQ page says nothing about the seemingly important fact that a lot of people may be getting the message because the system is overwhelmed.

Around the same time, the IRS posted an official statement on their website about the message.

“The Get My Payment site is operating smoothly and effectively,” the statement asserted. 

“As of mid-day today, more than 6.2 million taxpayers have successfully received their payment status and almost 1.1 million taxpayers have successfully provided banking information, ensuring a direct deposit will be quickly sent.”

The statement also said users will be sent to an online “waiting room” if too many people are on the site, and added that, “Media reports saying the tool ‘crashed’ are inaccurate.”

Despite the fact that a spokesperson said the problem was fixed and the IRS claimed the site was ‘operating smoothly,’ Twitter users continued to report that they were getting the message Thursday morning.

Other Issues

However, for the direct deposit checks that have been delivered, there is still a whole other set of problems.

Some people who were able to get through to the portal found that their payments were sent to the wrong bank accounts. In some cases, people said their stimulus checks are being sent to their old bank accounts, including those who claimed they got their most recent tax refund in their new accounts.

This is a problem some banks have reported as well. JP Morgan Chase told ABC News that they received money for closed accounts, and when they could not locate a new account, they just sent the money back. 

Others have said that their money is being sent to entirely different bank accounts altogether.

Some parents who have young dependent children eligible for the additional $500 per child also told reporters that they either received an incorrect amount of money or no money at all.

Unfortunately, for people who’s checks were sent to the wrong account or for those who received the wrong amount, there is no quick fix.

According to the IRS website, 15 days after someone receives their payment the IRS will mail a letter to their most recent address on file, and that letter will, “provide information on how the payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the payment.”

Beyond that, however, it is unclear how and when they will get their money.

On top of all that, it has also been reported that some checks have been sent to dead people. The good news here is that multiple financial advisors and former IRS employees have said that relatives will be able to keep that money. 

But, of course, the IRS has not said anything official on the matter.

See what others are saying: (The Washington Post) (ABC News) (NBC News)

U.S.

Manhattan City Council Candidate Says He’s “Not Ashamed” After BDSM Video Leaks Online

Published

on

While many applauded the candidate’s response, others suspect the entire ordeal may have been manufactured for publicity.


BDSM Video Leaks

Zack Weiner, a 26-year-old candidate for Manhattan’s City Council, has caught a flood of attention in recent days after responding to a BDSM video of himself that leaked online.

According to the New York Post, which first reported on the leak Saturday, the video was published by an anonymous Twitter account earlier this month.

“My magnificent domme friend played with Upper West Side city council candidate Zack Weiner and I’m the only one who has the footage,” the tweet reportedly read.

The video was flagged to the Post by Weiner’s campaign manager, Joe Gallagher, the news outlet said. The tabloid also claimed it showed Weiner gagged while “subjecting himself to various abuses by a leather-bound woman who pours wax on him and clips his nipples with clothespins.”

The footage was filmed at Parthenon studio in Midtown, which the Post described as known for its high-quality BDSM dungeons, and Weiner actually confirmed the video’s authenticity to the outlet, saying it was filmed at that location in 2019 with a former girlfriend that he met during a Halloween party.

Weiner Says He’s “Not Ashamed”

Weiner took to Twitter on Saturday to address the private video head on.

“Whoops. I didn’t want anyone to see that, but here we are,” he wrote.

“I am not ashamed of the private video circulating of me on Twitter. This was a recreational activity that I did with my friend at the time, for fun. Like many young people, I have grown into a world where some of our most private moments have been documented online.”

“While a few loud voices on Twitter might chastise me for the video, most people see the video for what it is: a distraction. I trust that voters will choose a city council representative based on their policies and their ability to best serve the community,” he continued.

In his comments to the Post, he added, “I am a proud BDSMer. I like BDSM activity.” He also said he had no idea how the footage surfaced, saying “It’s definitely a violation of trust.”

Praise and Suspicions

Many people online have applauded Weiner for refusing to apologize for private consensual acts. One, for example, tweeted, “Yeah – as long as this was between 2 (or more) consenting adults – I don’t care one bit. If this info ALONE would cause you to vote for somebody else, then I am FAR MORE worried about YOUR participation in Government than his!”

In fact, many have said they would vote for him after learning of the video and slammed critics, as well as the tabloid, for “kink-shaming.”

It’s worth noting that the Post’s article described Weiner as someone who “has mostly been a nonentity in the race for the Upper West Side’s 6th District.” It pointed to the fact that he has no endorsements and that his campaign barely raised $10,000 — most of which allegedly came from himself and his campaign manager.

Because of this, along with Gallagher’s contact with the Post, some have speculated that the entire ordeal may have been some kind of stunt manufactured for publicity.

See what others are saying: (New York Post) (Insider) (HITC)

Continue Reading

U.S.

Supreme Court Rejects Third Challenge to Affordable Care Act

Published

on

In the 7-2 decision, the justices argued the Republican-led states that brought the challenge forth failed to show how the law caused injury and thus had no legal standing.


SCOTUS Issues Opinion on Individual Mandate

The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down the third Republican-led challenge to the Affordable Care Act to ever reach the high court.

The issue at hand was the provision of the law, commonly known as Obamacare, that requires people to either purchase health insurance or pay a tax penalty: the so-called individual mandate. 

The individual mandate has been one of the most controversial parts of Obamacare and it has already been before SCOTUS, which upheld the provision in 2012 on the grounds that it amounted to a tax and thus fell under Congress’ taxing power.

However, as part of the sweeping 2017 tax bill, the Republican-held Congress set the penalty for not having health care to $0. As a result, a group of Republican-led states headed by Texas sued, arguing that because their GOP colleagues made the mandate zero dollars, it no longer raised revenues and could not be considered a tax, thus making it unconstitutional.

The states also argued that the individual mandate is such a key part of Obamacare that it could not be separated without getting rid of the entire law.

The Supreme Court, however, rejected that argument in a 7-2 decision, with Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch dissenting.

Majority Opinion Finds No Injury

In the majority decision, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that the Republican states had no grounds to sue because they could not show how they were harmed by their own colleagues zeroing out the penalty.

“There is no possible government action that is causally connected to the plaintiffs’ injury — the costs of purchasing health insurance,” he wrote, adding that the states “have not demonstrated that an unenforceable mandate will cause their residents to enroll in valuable benefits programs that they would otherwise forgo.”

Breyer also argued that because of this, the court did not need to decide on the broader issue of whether the 2017 tax bill rendered the individual mandate unconstitutional and if that provision could be separated from the ACA.

The highly anticipated decision will officially keep Obamacare as the law of the land, ensuring that the roughly 20 million people enrolled still have health insurance. While there may be other challenges to the law hard-fought by conservatives, this latest ruling sends a key signal about the limits of the Republican efforts to achieve their agenda through the high court, even with the strong conservative majority.

While the court has now struck down challenges to Obamacare three times, Thursday’s decision marked the largest margin of victory of all three challenges to the ACA.

For now, the ACA appears to be fairly insulated from legal challenges, though it will still likely face more. In a tweet following the SCOTUS decision, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) vowed to keep fighting Obamacare, adding that the individual mandate “was unconstitutional when it was enacted and it is still unconstitutional.”

See what others are saying: (Axios) (The Washington Post) (The Associated Press

Continue Reading

U.S.

Utah Student With Down Syndrome Left Out of Cheer Squad’s Yearbook Photo

Published

on

The move marks the second time in three years that Morgyn Arnold has been left out of the school’s yearbook. Two years ago, it failed to include her in the class list.


Two Photos Take, One Without Morgyn Arnold

A Utah school has apologized after a student with Down syndrome at Shoreline Junior High was excluded from her cheerleading squad’s yearbook photo.

The squad took two official team portraits this year. The first included 14-year-old Morgyn Arnold, who had been working as the team manager but attended practices and cheered alongside her other teammates at every home game. The second imsgr did not include her and ended up being the photo the school used across social media and in its yearbook.

Arnold was heartbroken by the decision and her family believed it was made because of her disability.

In social media posts about the move, Arnold’s sister, Jordyn Poll, noted that Arnold “spent hours learning dances, showing up to games, and cheering on her school and friends but was left out.”

“I hope that no one ever has to experience the heartbreak that comes when the person they love comes home from school devastated and shows them that they’re not in the picture with their team,” she continued.

According to The Salt Lake Tribune, Poll also said this marked the second time in three years that her sister has been left out of the yearbook. Two years ago, the school failed to include her in the class list.

School Apologizes After Backlash

After Poll’s public call out picked up attention, the school said it was “deeply saddened by the mistake.”

Apologies have been made to the family, and we sincerely apologize to all others impacted by this error,” it added. “We are continuing to look at what has occurred, and to improve our practice.”

The district issued a similar statement, claiming it was looking into why this occurred to make sure it doesn’t happen again. 

But Poll said this isn’t the same response her family received when they initially contacted school administrators. Instead, Poll told the Tribune that an employee at the school “blatantly said they didn’t know what we were expecting of them and there was nothing they could do.”

The school has since contacted them again “to make the situation right.”

Meanwhile, Poll stressed that her sister’s teammates had nothing to do with the decision, defending the girls as amazing friends who have done everything to make Arnold feel included.

In fact, they too were disappointed to see that she was not featured in the image or even named as a member of the team in the yearbook.

Arnold’s family decided to speak up about the issue so that this school and others can improve the ways they interact with and include students with disabilities. Different forms of exclusion happen at schools across the country, and this story has prompted other parents of kids with disabilities to share similar experiences.

A staff attorney at the Disability Law Center of Utah told the Tribune that it receives about 4,000 complaints each year. Some complaints stemmed from students with disabilities being separated into other classrooms without their peers. Others include name-calling or not allowing students on a team or in a club.

Thankfully, Arnold has not let this situation bring her down. According to her family, she has already forgiven everyone involved and plans to continue cheering alongside her friends.

See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (The Salt Lake Tribune) (NBC News)

Continue Reading