Connect with us

Entertainment

Tweet Falsely Claims Bob Saget Was Accused of Abuse by Corey Feldman

Published

on

  • Former child star Corey Feldman premiered his new documentary on Monday night. Titled (My) Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys, the film centers around the allegations of sex abuse that Feldman and his late friend Corey Haim survived in the ’80s.
  • A tweet about the documentary falsely stated that actor and comedian Bob Saget was among the men who abused the two.
  • Saget was never mentioned in the documentary. However, after seeing the tweet, some believed the news and spread it. Others then worked to correct the information and clear Saget’s name.
  • According to sources who attended the premiere, Feldman does list names of alleged abusers. That list included actors like Charlie Sheen and Jon Grissom.

Bob Saget Falsely Tied to Feldman Doc

Bob Saget trended on Twitter on Tuesday morning after a tweet falsely accused the actor of being one of the alleged sexual abusers mentioned in Corey Feldman’s new documentary.

The tweet listing the comedian and actor as part of the film has now been deleted. Viewers first got a look at the documentary, called (My) Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys on Monday night during a Los Angeles premiere. 

According to sources who attended the event, Feldman listed several men who he claims abused either him or his late friend, Corey Haim, when they were child stars in the ‘80s. Some of the names had been made public before. The documentary reportedly mentioned actor Jon Grissom, nightclub owner Alphy Hoffman, manager Marty Weiss, actor Dominick Brascia, and actor Charlie Sheen. Sheen has not issued a new statement about these allegations, which claim that he raped Haim while on the set of Lucas when Haim would have been 13. Sheen has previously denied this. 

Online Reactions

Many were upset that Saget became associated with this story, despite having nothing to do with it. The account that shared the tweet is no longer up, but several others shared the misinformation on their own timelines. 

Quickly, Twitter users began to tweet that Saget was not named in the documentary and that the statement was false. Some encouraged people to focus their energy on the real allegations made in the documentary, like those against Sheen. 

As for how this happened, many online believe that Bob Saget was mistaken for casting director Bob Hoffman. While several reports on the film did not mention Hoffman either, someone who knew reporters attending the premiere said Hoffman was involved, and this could have been the case. 

Hoffman has been identified by several past reports as Alphy Hoffman’s father. Still, outlets like Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly, and Fox News Entertainment did not cite him as being mentioned by Feldman in the documentary.

(My) Truth: The Rape of 2 Coreys is available to stream online for $20. It was supposed to be available online at the same time it premiered in Los Angeles but was held up by technical issues. It is unclear how many people have seen it.

See what others are saying: (Rolling Stone) (Entertainment Weekly) (Fox News)

Entertainment

Lil Nas X Starts Bail Project Fund After Releasing Prison-Set Video for “Industry Baby”

Published

on

The singer said he is working to address “the disproportionate impact that cash bail has on the black community.


Lil Nas X Starts Bail X Fund

Following the release of his latest single “Industry Baby,” Lil Nas X launched a partnership with The Bail Project that aims to cover bail funds for people across the country. 

The music video for the song took place in the fictional “Montero State Prison,” a reference to the title of his upcoming album and the singer’s real name. While Lil Nas X spent much of his time online promoting the video with memes, he put a pause on the jokes Saturday to announce the Bail X Fund and bring attention to issues regarding incarceration in the United States. 

“On a serious note, I know the pain that incarceration brings to a family,” Lil Nas X tweeted. “And the disproportionate impact that cash bail has on the black community. That’s why I teamed up with @bailproject to create the Bail X Fund.”

The Bail Project aims to eliminate cash bail in the U.S.  It has posted over $47 million in free bail for over 17,000 low-income people across the country. It also provides post-release support and services to those who need them.

“Music is the way I fight for liberation. It’s my act of resistance,” Lil Nas X wrote in a statement on the fund’s website. “But I also know that true freedom requires real change in how the criminal justice system works. Starting with cash bail.”

The Fight to End Cash Bail

According to the Prison Policy Initiative, like many issues within the criminal justice system, cash bail disproportionately harms Black Americans. The group claims that Black and brown defendants are somewhere between 10% to 25% “more likely than white defendants to be detained pretrial or to have to pay money bail.” It also argues that Black men are 50% more likely to be detained pretrial than white defendants, and says Black and brown defendants generally “receive bail amounts that are twice as high as bail set for white defendants – and they are less likely to be able to afford it.”

Lil Nas X said he is “doing something” to address these issues and invited his fans to join him. He hopes that his efforts will encourage other artists to use their platforms to likewise speak about these injustices.

“Ending cash bail is one of the most important civil rights issues of our time,” he wrote. “Donate what you can to the Bail X Fund. Let’s bring people home & let’s fight for freedom and equality.”

A donation tab was attached to the song’s music video, where it says nearly $44,000 has been raised for the Bail X Fund. The video has blown up on YouTube, racking up over 31 million views. It remains the number one trending video in music as of Monday morning. 

The song has likewise found success on Spotify, where it debuted at number two and eventually reached the number one spot.

See what others are saying: (Billboard) (NBC News) (A.V. Club)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Fire at Home Reportedly Owned by Beyoncé and Jay-Z Under Arson Investigation

Published

on

Officials said there were no injuries or evacuations during the fire, which was put out in around two hours.


Fire Breaks Out at Famed Couple’s Reported Residence

A Wednesday fire at a historic home in New Orleans, Louisiana believed to be owned by music titans Beyoncé and Jay-Z is being investigated as a possible arson. 

On Thursday, a New Orleans Police Department spokesperson confirmed to multiple outlets that it had received a tip about a suspicious person in the area. Further details about the suspicious person and the cause of the fire have not been revealed.

Neighbors told local media that there is an unlocked gate on the property that outsiders sometimes use to gain entry.

Officials told The New York Post that it took 22 firefighters over two hours to extinguish the blaze, with no reported injuries or evacuations. The extent of the damage currently remains unclear, but a spokesperson told The Post that given the age of the residence, the situation could have been far more severe. 

“If [the firefighters] didn’t get there when they did, it could have been much worse,” the spokesperson said. “It’s a historic home.”

About the Home

The building was first built in the Garden District neighborhood of the city in the 1920s as a church. It was later used as a ballet school and then became a high-end residence in 2000. Realtor.com says it is currently valued at $3 million.

The home was purchased in 2015 by Sugarcane Parkin LLC. According to The Washington Post, this company has the same registered address as other entities owned by Beyoncé. Sugarcane Parkin is also allegedly managed by Beyoncé’s mother, Celestine Lawson, better known as Tina Knowles.

Representatives for the “Lemonade” singer and her husband have not issued any public statements about the incident, nor have they confirmed that the home is owned by the couple. 

In March of this year, storage units in Los Angeles belonging to Beyonce were burglarized. According to TMZ, over a million dollars of goods were stolen, including expensive dresses and handbags.

See what others are saying: (The Washington Post) (The New York Post) (NOLA)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cleveland’s Baseball Team Changes Name From Indians to Guardians

Published

on

The move marks the team’s first name change since 1915, and it comes after decades of criticism from Native Americans. 


Name Change Announced

Cleveland’s Major League Baseball team said Friday that it will change its name after the 2021 season from the Indians to the Guardians.

The team announced the name change with a just over two-minute video narrated by actor Tom Hanks.

“You see, there’s always been a Cleveland — that’s the best part of our name,” Hanks says in the clip. “And now it’s time to unite as one family, one community, to build the next era for this team and this city.”

This marks the team’s first name change since 1915, and it comes after decades of criticism from Native Americans. 

Despite long-running calls to change racist and offensive team names — including the Washington Redskins — such campaigns did not gain significant momentum until the nationwide racial reckoning that followed the murder of George Floyd.

Why Guardians?

Officials behind the Cleveland team first pledged to change the name last year and previously removed the “Chief Wahoo” logo, a caricature of a Native American character, from its uniforms following the 2018 season.

It toyed with several options before ultimately landing on Guardians, which draws from Cleveland’s architectural history. 

“We are excited to usher in the next era of the deep history of baseball in Cleveland,” team owner and chairman Paul Dolan said in a news release. 

“Cleveland has and always will be the most important part of our identity. Therefore, we wanted a name that strongly represents the pride, resiliency and loyalty of Clevelanders.”

“‘Guardians’ reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge. It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While ‘Indians’ will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians.”

Guardians will be the fifth name in franchise history, joining Blues (1901), Bronchos (1902), Naps (1903-14), and Indians (1915-2021).

See what others are saying:(ESPN)(Axios) (Cleveland)

Continue Reading