Connect with us

Entertainment

Disney May Have Halted Lizzie McGuire Reboot Over Adult Themes

Published

on

  • A new report from Variety alleges that production of the Lizzie McGuire revival came to a halt because star Hilary Duff and showrunner Terri Minsky wanted to include adult themes, while Disney wanted to keep it family-friendly.
  • Minsky was fired from the production over a month ago, with Disney citing creative differences. She told Variety she wants people to see what Lizzie is up to now and hinted that she wanted the project to move to Hulu, where more mature content is allowed.
  • Duff did not comment on the matter but did make a potential jab in her Instagram story. The show Love, Victor was just switched from Disney+ to Hulu because of family-friendly content issues. She shared a headline and said, “sounds familiar.”

Disney at Odds With ‘Lizzie McGuire’ Creator

When fans learned that Disney would be bringing back Lizzie McGuire, they thought it was what dreams are made of. Now, it seems like this picture-perfect plan is in limbo.

Production for the nostalgic revival came to a halt in January when showrunner and original creator Terri Minsky was fired after just two episodes were filmed. Disney cited the need “to move in a different creative direction” at the time. The original Lizzie McGuire series aired on the Disney Channel between 2001 and 2004. Disney+ was set to be the home of the new revival, which would show the character living in New York at the age of 30. The show has not resumed production or found a new showrunner since.

A Wednesday report from Variety alleges that the “creative direction” in question was the exploration of mature themes on the show. They say that Minsky, along with the show’s star, Hilary Duff, wanted to do an adult version of Lizzie, while Disney wanted to keep it family-friendly like the original.

According to Variety, this dispute has put the show’s fate in jeopardy. Duff is reportedly upset with the dismissal of Minsky. While Disney is working to find a new showrunner to replace her, sources close to the matter believe that finding someone who can balance both the desires of Duff and Disney is becoming “increasingly unlikely.” Variety says many in the industry have speculated that “the revival will not move forward” because of the clashing plan on how to approach Lizzie’s new adult life. 

Disney+ and Family-Friendly Content

Disney wanting to keep its streaming service squeaky clean is nothing new. On Monday, they announced their original show Love, Victor, an adaptation of the movie Love, Simon, would be switching from Disney+ to Hulu when it makes its debut in June. The show follows a gay teenager in high school, and many cited it not being “family-friendly” as a reason for the move. 

The character’s sexuality, however, was likely not the factor behind this. Deadline reported that the show also shows alcohol use and marital issues on top of sexual exploration. Becky Albertalli, who wrote the book that Love, Simon and Love, Victor are based on, also said the decision was based on other content in the show.

“For what it’s worth, it’s not based on the show featuring a gay teen love story. Disney knew what it was when they got it,” she wrote on Twitter. 

Many ran away with the issue of family-friendliness, and the news got a lot of attention. It caught the eye of Duff, who posted an article on her Instagram story highlighting a headline that mentioned this and said, “sounds familiar.

Many interpreted this as Duff breaking her silence on the seemingly mysterious pause in the making of the Lizzie McGuire reboot. She had previously been vocally excited about the show, promoting it at various events and sharing photos of production on Instagram. 

Duff did not speak to Variety for their report, but Minsky did. The former showrunner expressed that she wanted fans to see the new Lizzie. She also said that she wished the revival might follow the path of Love, Victor and find Hulu as a home.

“I am so proud of the two episodes we did. Hilary has a grasp of Lizzie McGuire at 30 that needs to be seen. It’s a wonderful thing to watch,” she told the outlet. “I would love the show to exist, but ideally I would love it if it could be given that treatment of going to Hulu and doing the show that we were doing. That’s the part where I am completely in the dark. It’s important to me that this show was important to people. I felt like I wanted to do a show that was worthy of that kind of devotion.”

Disney maintains that this does not mean the reboot is dead in the water. 

“We paused production on ‘Lizzie McGuire’ a few weeks ago to allow time for some creative re-development,” the entertainment giant said in a statement to Variety. “Our goal is to resume production and to tell an authentic story that connects to the millions who are emotionally invested in the character, and a new generation of viewers too.” 

Fan Reactions

When the reboot was initially announced, fans were ecstatic to see what Lizzie was up to over 15 years later. Much of the show’s core audience is now in their 20’s and 30’s, and they were excited to see one of their favorite childhood characters all grown up. 

“Lizzie has also grown up, she’s older, she’s wiser, she has a much bigger shoe budget,” Duff said about Lizzie’s growth at D23 in August. “She has her dream job, the perfect life right now working as an apprentice to a fancy New York City decorator. She has the perfect man, who owns a fancy restaurant. She’s getting ready to celebrate her 30th birthday.”

Now, many online were outraged that the revival is in danger. Some called for it to move to Hulu like Love, Victor so that adult themes could be appropriately explored. 

Others maintained that the new Lizzie McGuire should not have to be family-friendly since kids today do not have any familiarity with the character. They think it should be geared towards the adults who watched it when they were young.

Some don’t see why Disney+ can’t make room for the reboot, seeing as they already have shows like The Simpsons that contain mature content.

Right now, it remains unclear what will happen next with the reboot. No release date had been set for the project. Original cast members were involved with the show, including Adam Lamberg who played Gordo; and Hallie Todd, Robert Carradine, and Jake Thomas, who played her parents and brother. 

See what others are saying: (Variety) (Vanity Fair) (Mashable)

Entertainment

Alissa Violet Sues FaZe Clan Over Stock It Allegedly Owes Her

Published

on

The social media star says she was promised stock in FaZe Clan as part of a previous settlement but has yet to receive her shares.


Alissa Violet Sues FaZe Clan

Social media influencer Alissa Marie Violet Butler, known online as Alissa Violet, is suing digital entertainment and esports collective FaZe Clan over stock she is allegedly owed.

According to a Monday report from The Washington Post, Butler’s case stems from a previous lawsuit that involved both her and FaZe Clan. The report says that in 2018, Butler transferred her shares in a media company she co-founded called Clout Gang to a different company called Hubrick Limited as part of an agreement with FaZe Clan. At the time, Hubrick and FaZe Clan were partnering to develop both businesses. 

Per The Post, several other FaZe Clan members were part of a similar exchange where they transferred their FaZe Clan shares for Hubrick shares as well. The partnership between the two companies crumbled, however, leading to a legal frenzy. Butler, FaZe Clan, Clout Gang, and more ended up accusing Hubrick of fraud in a lawsuit. Hubrick tossed the allegation right back at them in a countersuit. 

To resolve the matters, The Post says Butler and FaZe Clan “entered into an oral agreement to settle the lawsuits with Hubrick,” which involved Butler giving up her Hubrick stock and dropping her claims against the company. In return, she would then receive FaZe Clan common stock.

Butler says that despite holding up her end of the bargain, she has still not received stock in FaZe Clan. 

Responses to Lawsuit

Butler has over 10 million followers on Instagram and another 3.7 million subscribers on YouTube. She has had a career in modeling and picked up a handful of acting credits in television shows and music videos. She previously dated the co-owner of FaZe Clan, FaZe Banks.

According to The Post, FaZe Clan is valued at around $300 million.

“If Faze Clan simply abided by its promise to compensate her, Alissa would not have had to sue Faze Clan,” Butler’s attorney, Bryan Freedman, said to The Post. 

FaZe Clan defended itself in a statement to the outlet, saying it “denies generally and specifically each and every allegation contained in the Complaint.”

FaZe Clan CEO Lee Trink also sent an email to The Post claiming that the matter will likely be resolved. 

“Stories get created out of any disagreement or dispute, big or small,” he wrote. “On this particular matter we’re in close communication and confident it’ll be resolved amicably.”

It is unclear how much Butler is seeking in her suit. 

See what others are saying: (The Washington Post )(Dexerto) (Esports.com)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Priyanka Chopra Jonas Says “The Activist” Reality Series “Got It Wrong”

Published

on

The controversial series is now being reworked into a documentary, which Chopra Jonas hopes will better “highlight the actions and impact” of global activists.


Priyanka Chopra Jonas Apologizes For “The Activist”

Actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas responded to controversies surrounding “The Activist,” a CBS reality competition series she was slated to co-host that is now being reworked following widespread backlash. 

“The Activist” was going to show real activists competing against one another in various challenges in an effort to promote their philanthropic causes. After many expressed disgust at the premise, CBS said it would scrap the footage already shot and turn the idea into a one-time documentary special highlighting the work and impacts of different activists.

“The show got it wrong, and I’m sorry that my participation in it disappointed many of you,” Chopra Jonas wrote on Instagram. “The intention was always to bring attention to the people behind the ideas and highlight the actions and impact of the causes they support tirelessly. I’m happy that in this new format, their stories will be the highlight.”

“I’m proud to collaborate with partners who have their ear to the ground and know when it’s time to hit pause and re-evaluate,” she added.

Chopra Jonas closed her post by thanking the “global community of activists” for their hard work, which often goes unacknowledged. 

Controversies Surrounding “The Activist”

Musician Usher and dancer Julianne Hough were cast to host alongside Chopra Jonas. After a release announcing the show and their casting went out last week, it was slammed online by activists and journalists alike. 

Actress and activist Jameela Jamil wrote that the network would have been better off donating the presumably large production costs to charity instead of “turning activism into a game.”

Women’s activist Gina Martin thought turning charity into a competition was counterintuitive, arguing “the whole *essense* of activism is solidarity and community.”

Writers from The Verge, The Washington Post, Essence, and countless other outlets likewise published pieces slamming the program. The Post’s Michele L. Norris accused CBS of ​“trying to capitalize on the current avalanche of doom in the daily news cycle.”

Norris added that the show’s “prize,” which was to attend the G20 summit in Italy, boiled down to activists fighting “merely for the right to crash an international conference and try to shake down world leaders for cash.”

Responses From Those Involved

Chopra Jonas is not the only host to address the criticism. Before the idea was canned, Hough wrote a lengthy Instagram post saying she was listening to the dialogue regarding the program. 

“There is a feeling of insult, dehumanization, insensitivity and hurt that is being rightfully felt,” she wrote. 

“I do not claim to be an activist and wholeheartedly agree that the judging aspect of the show missed the mark and furthermore, that I am not qualified to act as a judge,” she added, though she stopped short of actually stepping down from the gig. 

CBS ended up releasing a joint statement with Global Citizen and Live Nation acknowledging the failings of the concept. 

“It has become apparent the format of the show as announced distracts from the vital work these incredible activists do in their communities every day,” the statement said. “The push for global change is not a competition and requires a global effort.”

The statement said the new documentary will “showcase the tireless work of six activists and the impact they have advocating for causes they deeply believe in” without any competitive element.

See what others are saying: (CNN) (Vanity Fair) (BBC News)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Health Officials in the U.S. and Trinidad Shut Down Nicki Minaj’s Vaccine Claims

Published

on

After the rapper claimed her cousin’s friend had severe side effects from the vaccine, Dr. Anthony Fauci said she should be “thinking twice about propagating information that really has no basis.”


Health Officials Condemn Nicki Minaj’s Vaccine Statement

Health officials in the United States and Trinidad and Tobago are refuting claims rapper Nicki Minaj made this week suggesting that COVID-19 vaccines can lead to testicular swelling.

“My cousin in Trinidad won’t get the vaccine cuz his friend got it & became impotent,” Minaj tweeted Monday. “His testicles became swollen. His friend was weeks away from getting married, now the girl called off the wedding. So just pray on it & make sure you’re comfortable with ur decision, not bullied.”

Minaj has not been vaccinated herself but did say she might receive the jab at some point so she can tour. Still, she sent several other tweets Monday peddling vaccine skepticism. 

The symptoms Minaj described in the tweet about her cousin’s friend fall more in line with those of various sexually transmitted diseases. The CDC has repeatedly noted that there is “currently no evidence that any vaccines, including COVID-19 vaccines, cause fertility problems in women or men.”

International health officials doubled down on this after Minaj’s remarks went viral. Dr. Terrence Deyalsingh, the Health Minister for Trinidad and Tobago, said his department takes every claim of this nature seriously and found no proof that Minaj’s anecdote was true after spending hours thoroughly researching it. 

“Unfortunately, we wasted so much time yesterday running down this false claim,” he said during a press conference on Wednesday. 

“As we stand now, there is absolutely no reported side effect or adverse event of testicular swelling in Trinidad, or, I dare say anywhere else?” he continued. “None that we know of anywhere in the world.” 

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the White House’s leading infectious disease expert, likewise debunked Minaj’s story while speaking to CNN.

“She should be thinking twice about propagating information that really has no basis, except a one-off anecdote, and that’s not what science is all about,” Dr. Fauci told Jake Tapper this week. 

Nicki Minaj Claims She Received Invite to Discuss Vaccines at the White House

As vaccine misinformation continues to spread and elongate the pandemic, the Biden administration has unveiled several efforts to instill trust in the science behind it. Minaj claimed Wednesday she was invited to the White House to discuss the vaccine and ask questions on behalf of those who need convincing. 

A White House official, however, claimed that she was not offered a trip but rather a call with “one of our doctors to answer questions she has about the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine.” Minaj slammed the White House on Instagram Wednesday night for undercutting her claim. 

“Do you think I’d go on the internet and lie about being invited to the fucking White House?” she said in a 14-minute video. “Like, what?!” 

“You know what the request was? ‘We’d like to offer Nicki an invitation to come to the White House to speak with two people,” she continued. “With, what is that man’s name? Dr. Fauci? And with the Surgeon General.” 

Minaj said that when she expressed concerns about traveling, they offered the chance to also do a live chat on the social media platform of her choice. Throughout the remainder of her video, she repeatedly made startling claims suggesting the media was targeting an attack on her to make her look dumb so people would stop asking questions about the vaccine. 

By Thursday, that video had been viewed over 1.6 million times. “I Stand With Nicki” trended on Twitter Thursday as some claimed the media has twisted her words, while others slammed her fanbase for supporting the rapper as she promoted misinformation.

See what others are saying: (Complex) (New York Times) (The Guardian)

Continue Reading