Critics Question Katy Perry’s Appointment as British Asian Trust Ambassador
- Katy Perry was announced as the newest ambassador of Prince Charles’ British Asian Trust charity on Tuesday.
- Perry, who also serves as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, will be supporting efforts to reduce child-trafficking in India.
- Many have slammed the American pop singer, saying she should not be given the role because she is neither British or Asian.
- Others have defended Perry, arguing that she shouldn’t be criticized for wanting to use her platform and kindness to help a good cause.
Perry’s New Position
Pop star Katy Perry was named an ambassador of the British Asian Trust by Prince Charles at the charity’s annual dinner on Tuesday.
The two famous figures met for the first time last year in India, the day before Prince Charles’ 71st birthday.
“Meeting her turned out to be a wonderful birthday present,” Prince Charles said of Perry at Tuesday’s dinner in London.
“Given Katy’s long-standing commitment to charitable causes around the world, I’m delighted to be announcing that she has most generously agreed to become an ambassador for the British Asian Trust’s children’s protection fund for India,” he said. “I could hardly be more grateful to Katy for agreeing to take on this vital role.”
Founded by Prince Charles and a group of British-Asian business leaders in 2007, the trust aims to build programs to support vulnerable people across South Asia. Its key areas of focus are education, livelihood, mental health, and anti-trafficking.
In her new role, Perry will support efforts to reduce child trafficking in India, which she says has “long held a special place in [her] heart.” She has also been a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nation’s children’s agency, UNICEF, since 2013.
“My work as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador has taken me to many parts of the world and opened my eyes to the many vulnerabilities of children,” Perry said in a statement.
“That is why I am especially honored to be named an ambassador for the British Asian Trust’s Children’s Protection Fund, and to help shine my light on the work that the British Asian Trust will be doing in South Asia, and to be a part of finding solutions to child trafficking,” she added. “Children are vulnerable and innocent and have to be protected.”
Backlash for the Decision
Once the world got wind of the pop star’s new appointment, many were quick to criticize Perry, who is neither British nor Asian.
“For the avoidance of doubt: white American women should not be representatives of British Asian people,” one Twitter user wrote.
Some accused Perry of buying into the “white savior complex,” which refers to the idea of white people helping non-white people in a context that can be perceived as self-serving.
Others also pointed to the singer’s history of being criticized for cultural insensitivity, like when she made a meme out of a Hindu goddess, dressed as a geisha, and likened a zit to a bindi – a decorative mark worn by Indian women.
Another wave of critics made jokes comparing Katy Perry to Scarlett Johansson, who has been slammed in similar ways for taking on the role of an Asian character and a transgender man, insisting that as an actress, she has the right to take on any kind of role she wants.
Defense of Perry
While Perry was slammed by many, others jumped to defend the singer, arguing that her position as a white woman shouldn’t dismiss her from supporting vulnerable groups.
“Why is everyone so pressed about a woman with a HUGE [platform] trying to help the world???” one user wrote.
Why is everyone so pressed about a woman with a HUGE plataform trying to help the world??? pic.twitter.com/sSoBgvg724— Fran (@widestan) February 5, 2020
Fellow British Asian Trust ambassadors Sonali Shah and Nihal Arthanayake stood behind Perry as well.
“Some of the comments about @katyperry joining us as an ambassador of the @britishasiantst are starting to feel a little ‘stay in your lane’ & dare I say it, at times, racist,” Shah tweeted. “Supporting those in need in South Asia isn’t just the job of British Asians. She cares. And so should you.”
The common thread in the arguments of Perry’s defenders is that she shouldn’t be criticized for wanting to help a good cause.
“People do not understand that care, kindness, philanthropy etc bears no race,” one person wrote on Twitter. “They are human traits. If Katy Perry has all the above for this cause and charity it should be celebrated.”
People do not understand that care, kindness, philanthropy etc bears no race. They are human traits. If Katy Perry has all the above for this cause and charity it should be celebrated.— Eniola Aluko (@EniAlu) February 5, 2020
See what others are saying: (NBC) (CBS) (CNN)
Dutch Man Who Fathered Over 500 Kids Is Being Sued to Stop Donating Sperm Over Incest Concerns
Meijer is accused of having children in 13 different countries.
Johnathon Jacob Meijer, a 41-year-old Dutch man, is currently facing a lawsuit that aims to forbid him from donating sperm after he allegedly fathered at least 550 children.
The lawsuit claims that Meijer’s prolific and obsessive donation habit heightens the risk of accidental incest for his children.
Meijer has donated to at least 13 clinics, mostly located in the Netherlands. He also used websites and social media to reach out to women looking for donors. In 2017, after the Dutch Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology learned that Meijer had already fathered more than 100 children, he was blacklisted from all clinics in the Netherlands. However, he has reportedly continued his donations in Ukraine, Denmark, and other countries.
One professional tracking Meijer’s movements told The New York Times in 2021 that she had found mothers of his children in Australia, Italy, Serbia, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Switzerland, Romania, Sweden, Mexico, and the United States.
One mother from the Netherlands has partnered with Donorkind — a Dutch organization for children conceived via a sperm donor — to bring this lawsuit against Meijer.
The mother claims that Meijer told her that he didn’t have more than 25 donor children.
“When I think about the consequences this could have for my child, I get a bad gut feeling and I become uncertain about his future: how many more children will be added?” she said to Donorkind.
Donorkind and the mother are looking for the court to order Meijer to stop donating and for any clinic that has his sperm to destroy it.
See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (The Telegraph) (Insider)
U.S. Intel Suggests Pro-Ukraine Group Sabotaged Nord Stream Pipeline
There is no evidence that the culprits behind the attack were acting under the direction of the Ukrainian government.
Europe Braces for Shocking Revelations
A pro-Ukraine group blew up the Nord Stream pipelines last September, intelligence reviewed by U.S. officials suggests.
The New York Times reported the news Tuesday, citing officials who said there was no evidence of involvement by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, any of his top lieutenants, or any government officials.
The strength of the evidence, however, is not clear, and U.S. officials declined to inform The Times on the nature of the intelligence or how it was obtained. They reportedly added that the intelligence indicates neither who the group’s members are nor who funded and directed the operation.
The Times’ sources said they believe the saboteurs were most likely Russian or Ukrainian nationals and that they possibly received specialized government training in the past.
It’s also possible that the group behind the attack was a proxy with covert ties to Kyiv, the report added.
When three of four Nord Stream pipelines were found to be severely damaged last year, the revelation shook markets and sent European gas prices soaring. Nord Stream 1, which was completed in 2011, and Nord Stream 2, which had been laid down but wasn’t yet operational, supplied Germany and by extension the rest of Western Europe with cheap Russian natural gas.
Following the explosions, Poland and Ukraine blamed Russia, and Russia blamed Britain. Other observers speculated that Ukraine might be behind it too.
More Ongoing Investigations
Last month, investigative journalist Seymour Hersh claimed in a Substack article that the United States military carried out the attack and that President Biden authorized it himself. However, Hersh’s report cited only one anonymous source in support of its central claim, so it was largely dismissed as not credible.
Western governments expressed caution on Wednesday in response to The Times report.
“There are ongoing national investigations and I think it’s right to wait until those are finalized before we say anything more about who was behind it,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said in a statement.
Russia, by contrast, pounced on the opportunity to renew its demand for inclusion in a proposed international probe into the pipeline explosion.
The Ukrainian government denied any involvement in the Nord Stream explosions.
On Wednesday, multiple German media outlets reported that investigators have largely reconstructed how the attack happened, pinning the blame on six people who allegedly used a yacht hired by a Ukrainian-owned company in Poland.
German officials reportedly searched a vessel suspected of carrying the explosives in January, but the investigation is ongoing.
The country’s defense minister suggested the explosions may have been a “false flag” attack to smear Ukraine.
See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (Associated Press) (Reuters)
Turkey, Syria Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 41,000 as Survivors Pulled from Rubble
A pair of brothers spent around 200 hours trapped under debris, living off of protein powder and their own urine.
A Humanitarian Crisis Explodes
The number of confirmed dead from the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria last week has surpassed 41,000.
Millions more people have been left stranded without adequate shelter, food, clean water, or medical supplies.
At night, the region has dropped to below-freezing temperatures.
Now health authorities are worried that the lack of sanitation infrastructure, which was damaged by the quakes, will lead to a disease outbreak.
“We haven’t been able to rinse off since the earthquake,” 21-year-old Mohammad Emin, whose home was destroyed, told Reuters.
He was helping out at a clinic serving displaced people in an open-air stadium, but with no showers and only six toilets, the resource shortage was poignant.
“They are offering tetanus shots to residents who request them, and distributing hygiene kits with shampoo, deodorant, pads and wipes,” added Akin Hacioglu, a doctor at the clinic.
The World Health Organization monitors the population for waterborne diseases like cholera and typhoid, as well as seasonal influenza and COVID-19.
Rescuers Race Against the Clock
After more than a week of searching, hopes that more living victims will be found amid the collapsed buildings are fading, but rescuers continue to pull out the final few survivors.
Abdulbaki Yeninar, 21, and his brother Muhammed Enes Yeninar, 17, spent about 200 hours under rubble in the city of Kahramanmaras before they were extracted Tuesday. They told reporters they held on by eating protein powder, drinking their own urine, and swallowing gulps of air.
In the same city, teams dug a 16-foot tunnel through debris to rescue a woman, and to the south, a volunteer mining crew joined the efforts to save another.
With no homes to go back to, some survivors have joined the ranks of volunteers themselves.
In the past week, more than 35,000 Turkish search-and-rescue teams worked alongside thousands of international workers in the effort, according to Turkey’s emergency management agency.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has called the earthquakes the “disaster of the century” and said in a statement that at least 13,000 people were being treated in hospitals.
The death toll is expected to rise even further in the coming weeks.