Connect with us

Industry

Why NikkieTutorials Won’t Name Her Blackmailer

Published

on

  • About two weeks after coming out as transgender, NikkieTutorials posted a new video discussing the support, media attention, and criticism she’s received since. 
  • The beauty YouTuber asked fans to stop trying to identify the person who threatened to leak her story, a threat that prompted her to film her coming out video. 
  • She confirmed that with the help of police, she now knows who her blackmailer is and does not want to publically name them because she knows that with her platform, she can not only destroy their life but also their family and friend’s lives. 

“We Need to Stop the Witch Hunt” 

Beauty YouTuber NikkieTutorials posted her first video since coming out as transgender, thanking her audience for their overwhelming support while also asking them to end their “witch hunt” against the person who blackmailed her.   

When the YouTube star came out as transgender in a video post earlier this month, she said she had always wanted to share this information but admitted that she was doing so now because someone had threatened to leak her story to the press. 

After taking her power back by telling her own story, deJager received a flood of support from friends, fans, and fellow YouTubers both for coming out and for how she responded to being blackmailed. Her video, which has been viewed over 33 million times, picked up widespread media attention and she even appeared on The Ellen Show to talk more about her announcement. 

But since coming out, fans and internet sleuth have also been working hard to track down whoever tried to blackmail her, spreading their own suspicions and conspiracy theories all over social media. 

In her Tuesday video titled “Responding to My Coming Out”, deJager asked fans to stop. 

“Let’s talk about the blackmailing,” she said in the 17-minute long post. “First of all, I think we need to stop the witch hunt that I’ve been seeing going around. I’ve been seeing so many ‘Truth’ videos out there saying, ‘Oh my god, this is Nikkie’s blackmailer. On my god, we found the guy. Oh my god, we found the girl. This and this person are Nikkie’s blackmailers,” she continued.

“To be honest, I don’t think that is your story to tell. If anyone is going to have the right to tell on these blackmailers, it’s gonna be me,” she continued. “How I deal with this situation, what information I would like to share, at the end of the day, it’s my story. No other person or media outlet should be the one talking about my blackmailer when they only know half of the truth. You are destroying people’s lives that aren’t even involved in this and I ask that you stop this.”


Police Identify the Blackmailer, But Nikkie Won’t Name Them  

DeJager went on to say that thanks to the help of police, she now knows not only who her blackmailer is, but also where they live, their phone numbers, home address, and how they treated people around her to get more information about her story.

“Let me tell you, when I found out exactly who was behind this all, I was shocked because this is not a person that any of you know. It is someone that I don’t even personally know,” she explained.

DeJager said learning this information was both frightening and freeing, but it also forced her to make a difficult decision. 

“I feel like everybody who does something wrong should be punished,” she said, “but after all of the responses these last couple of weeks and literally being worldwide news, I know now that that comes with the greatest responsibility I’ve ever had in my life.”

“With this platform we have right here, I have the power to destroy a life. I have the ability to not only destroy the life of my blackmailer but also the life of his family, his kids, his friends, his surroundings,” she continued. 

“Ever since finding out the true name of my blackmailer, that has been going on in my mind. If I out this person, am I gonna be doing the same as this person did to me? Do I want that? Do I need that? Do I want to put a human being in the same position that I was in?”

Nikkie added, “I don’t want to lower myself to his level. No, I am creating my own level… I am better than that.”

DeJager feels that in a way, her blackmailer already received their punishment since they now have to live knowing that she knows exactly who they are. “And I think they’re going to have a little bit of that fear that one day maybe their name is going to leak to the press and they’re going to feel exactly the same thing as what I was feeling,” she explained.

“But I think it is my right to determine if I want that name to come out or not.”

However, deJager made it clear that her situation is different. Because of her platform, she says she was able to take back her power, but she urged those who might not be in her same position to seek help from authorities, friends, and family if they are ever blackmailed. 

DeJager also dismissed criticisms from those who accused her of lying about being threatened and coming out as a publicity stunt. In fact, she said she chose to delay upcoming projects to make sure it didn’t seem like she had opened up about being transgender to hype up a collab. 

DeJager closed her video by saying that moving forward, she is working on adapting to this new role that she now has online and is in this world. “For the people who are understanding, and loving, and warm, and kind. Thank you from me and from my community.” 

See what others are saying: (Eonline) (Business Insider) (Pride

Industry

Triller Sues H3 Podcast for $50 Million Over Jake Paul Vs. Ben Askren Fight

Published

on

  • Triller is suing Ethan and Hila Klein’s H3 Podcast for $50 million, alleging that the YouTubers unlawfully broadcasted its boxing match between Jake Paul and Ben Askren on their show.
  • The video-sharing platform previously filed a larger lawsuit against several outlets, including H3 Productions, for the same reason, but a court dropped the majority of the defendants from that suit, still giving room for Triller to refile against each platform individually. 
  • Triller did not specifically cite when the H3 Podcast aired the fight; however, Ethan gave a statement to Rogue Rocket claiming his utilization of clips from the event fall under fair use copyright laws.
  • “It’s a huge media company trying to suppress fair use and undo everything we worked for [with the] Matt Hoss case,” he said, referencing a landmark fair use case he previously won.

H3 Podcast Sued for $50 Million

Video sharing and streaming platform Triller filed a $50 million lawsuit against the H3 Podcast on Monday, accusing the show of unlawfully airing its April 17 boxing match between Jake Paul and Ben Askren.

H3 Productions, owned by YouTubers Ethan and Hila Klein, was previously included in a massive lawsuit Triller filed against a number of platforms for the same reason; however, a court dismissed all but one of the defendants, FilmDaily.com, from that case. The court did give Triller room to refile against each outlet individually, prompting this new suit against H3. 

The podcast is being accused of copyright infringement, conversion, violations of the Federal Communications Act, and violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, according to the complaint filed in the Central District of California

Ethan Klein previously denied broadcasting the fight but did admit to watching an already available pirated link.

What’s in the Complaint?

Triller said that H3 “acted knowingly, willfully, unlawfully and with blatant disregard to Plaintiff’s copyright in the Broadcast by uploading” the boxing match to YouTube. The company claims it “never authorized its respective copying, downloading, uploading, public display and/or distribution of the Broadcast,” but that H3 “continues to engage—and unjustly benefit—from its infringing conduct.”

“Defendant’s calculated and reprehensible infringement, theft, and other unlawful acts—committed in knowing violation of the law—has resulted in damages suffered by Plaintiff in excess of $50,000,000.00, by stealing and diverting upwards of 1,000,000 unique viewers of the illegal and unauthorized viewings of the Broadcast from Plaintiff,” the complaint says. 

The lawsuit does not specify when H3 aired the fight, but on an April 22 episode of the H3 Podcast, Ethan did briefly play the knockout from the event while giving commentary. During an April 25 episode of H3 After Dark, Ethan and Hila also played clips of Pete Davidson hosting the showdown. Neither episode aired the entirety of the event.

Ethan Klein Responds To Complaint

“It’s fair use,” Ethan said in a statement to Rogue Rocket. “Read their complaint. It’s 1mil x 50 dollars per [view.] It’s literally a fair use lawsuit and anything else is just a distortion.”

The couple previously won a landmark fair use case against YouTuber Matt Hoss. That case stemmed from the Kleins using footage from one of Hoss’ videos to make their own video response and commentary. Hoss argued this was copyright infringement. A judge ultimately sided with the Kleins, who believe Triller is aiming to reverse the progress their previous case made.

“It’s a huge media company trying to suppress fair use and undo everything we worked for [with the] Matt Hoss case,” Ethan said.

Still, a Triller spokesperson gave a comment to Insider saying the company is “confident” in its legal pursuits. 

“We are confident H3 will be settling and paying a substantial penalty (in the millions) in order to avoid the $50 million+ liability,” the spokesperson said. “People can try to joke about it, but it is stealing, no ifs, ands or buts about it.”

See what others are saying: (Insider) (Torrent Freak)

Continue Reading

Industry

James Charles Breaks Silence Over Lawsuit From Former Employee

Published

on

  • YouTuber James Charles posted a video on Monday claiming he has been dealing with a wrongful termination lawsuit from a former employee for two years.
  • He said her claims are not true, but he is refusing to settle for the “hundreds of thousands of dollars” she is asking for because he feels he is being “blackmailed.”
  • He claims the former employee is making “defamatory” allegations about him to the press in an attempt to push him to settle for a higher amount.
  • Insider reporter Kat Tenbarge later posted a tweet suggesting she is working on the story and that it will come out “soon.”

James Charles Addresses Lawsuit

Beauty influencer James Charles posted a seven-minute-long video on Monday claiming he has been dealing with a wrongful termination lawsuit from a former employee for two years and feels cornered into speaking out about the situation. 

James, who has been taking a social media break for the last several weeks following a series of sexual misconduct allegations, broke his silence to share his side of the story. He said this is his first time publicly speaking about the matter because the litigation is ongoing. However, he feels he has to speak out now because he says that the former employee is speaking negatively about him to the press and he feels he is being “blackmailed.” 

Reports have identified this former employee as Kelly Rocklein. James said he hired her first as an editor and then promoted her to a producer with a salary of $72,000 a year, but she was let go after six months. He says the allegations in the lawsuit he filed are false. 

“It basically alleges that she was wrongfully terminated, overworked, and underpaid, all of which are not true,” he said before adding that to him, his employees are “family.”

According to James, the suit is worth far more than lost wages and totals hundreds of thousands of dollars. While he claimed these kinds of suits are common in the entertainment industry, he said they rarely make it to court because they are so long and expensive and usually result in a settlement. James, however, said he refuses to settle. 

James Says He is Being Pressured to Settle

James said he was contacted to give a comment for an upcoming article about what it is like to work for him. He claimed the former employee was making “defamatory” and ridiculous comments about him, which he believes are an attempt to pressure him into a higher settlement offer. 

“These claims range everything from, I was so lazy she had to force me to get out of my bed and brush my teeth, and without her I would have never made a single video or a single dollar,” James said. “And other things that are much more serious and disgusting such as that I used to say the n-word around her all the time.” 

James added that the last claim is “perfect timing” because a Twitter account he has not used since 2016 was allegedly hacked recently and posted a tweet using the n-word.

James said he knows the employees allegations would go away if he just agreed to settle, but he does not want to do that. 

“Contrary to popular belief, I have never ever paid anybody to speak or to not speak about me and this will not be the first time that I do it,” he stated. “It just won’t.” 

James said he feels no choice but to fully pursue this legally and felt compelled to post this video in the meantime as the situation remains in the court of public opinion, which is already falling out of his favor. He also said he did not want his fans to be blindsided when the upcoming article is published because he knows it will not look good on his part.

Insider Reporter Tweets About Upcoming Article

In April, Rocklein tweeted something that appeared to be about James and the misconduct allegations against him. 

“Watching the same people who screwed me over massively end up in deep scandals isn’t news to me, it’s karmic debt,” she wrote. 

She also previously posted another tweet that seemingly referenced her lawsuit against James, as well as a lawsuit she allegedly won against internet personality Erika Costell. 

“Won 1, going 2 for 2 because im all about law and order,” she said. 

Insider reporter Kat Tenbarge, who broke the story involving a rape allegation against the Vlog Squad’s Dom Zeglaitis, responded to James’ video in a series of now-deleted tweets. She shared his video and said, “Absolutely not, story coming soon.”

“Literally cannot believe this,” she continued. “Okay, well, yeah. You paid your creative director $72k. AFTER a raise. We’ll start there, since you’re the one putting it out! More soon.”

“BLACKMAIL is a criminal allegation, and a really crazy and stupid one to make.”

After taking those posts down, she shared a new tweet saying “We’re reporting everything out. Story will be coming soon!” That post was retweeted by Rocklein.

See what others are saying: (MTV News Australia) (Just Jared) (Daily Dot)

Continue Reading

Industry

Tana Mongeau Seemingly Defends Talent Agency After Backlash

Published

on

  • YouTuber Tana Mongeau officially launched an influencer management division on Monday called Tana’s Angel’s Agency.
  • She wrote on Instagram that she is regularly asked for advice about how to build a following on platforms like OnlyFans and said this new venture will allow her to help people break into the business. 
  • Mongeau quickly faced backlash from those who believe she is not qualified to teach people how to build an audience from the ground up and from others who think the agency is a “scam.”
  • In response, Mongeau said she “hired an amazing team” of successful people and will only sign creators “that I truly feel I can benefit, and that I believe in & resonate with.”

Tana Mongeau Launches Management Division

YouTuber Tana Mongeau launched an influencer management agency on Monday named Tana’s Angels Agency.

The division is part of Unruly Agency, a social media marketing and management company owned by Tara Electra, who will be leading the launch alongside Mongeau and her manager, David Weintraub. Mongeau said she wants to use the agency to help aspiring content creators because when she was just starting out, she could have benefited from a mentor. 

“Throughout my career I’ve been taken advantage of more times than I can count,” she previously told Us Weekly.”I am starting TAA to teach people how to not make the mistakes I made early on in my career.” 

In a Monday Instagram post, Mongeau wrote that she regularly gets messages from people asking for advice about how to get started and make money on platforms like OnlyFans. Mongeau said that by starting this agency, she can now use her “experiences, platform, connections, knowledge and creativity” to help these small creators find her same success. She also said that the same people who helped her make millions of dollars on OnlyFans will be part of the TAA team.

“I brought on those people to TAA to finally be able to share their expertise, marketing knowledge, and much more with authentic creators I believe in- big, small, or starting today,” she wrote. 

TAA Receives Backlash

However, this pursuit has not come without a fair amount of backlash. Many people have shared Mongeau’s tweet announcing TAA and criticized her for the venture. Among other things, many believe she is not qualified to teach people how to build a following from the ground up because she was already famous when she started her OnlyFans.

Others accused her of taking advantage of OnlyFans users and sex workers who are already struggling enough, while others accused her of being a pimp and running a scam. 

Mongeau seems to be aware of some of this criticism, as she joked in a tweet early on Tuesday saying, “Someone commented ‘how she gon have a talent agency with no talent’ on my post i’m screaming.”

She then further explained the intent behind TAA.

“I hired an amazing team of lots of individuals who have helped me earn millions on OF and with other opportunities to help me alongside this project. I’m also only signing people onto Tana‘s Angels that I truly feel I can benefit, and that I believe in & resonate with.”

The backlash also does not seem to be slowing her down. Mongeau said that within the first 10 hours of the launch, 100,000 people applied to be part of TAA. 

See what others are saying: (BuzzFeed News) (Daily Dot) (Us Weekly)

Continue Reading