Connect with us

International

Ukraine-Bound Plane Crashes in Iran, Leaves 176 Dead

Published

on

  • A Ukraine International Airlines flight crashed Wednesday morning shortly after departing from Tehran, Iran, killing all 176 people on board. 
  • Among the deceased are individuals from Ukraine, Iran, Canada, and other countries.
  • It is not yet clear what caused the crash. Some officials say it was likely technical issues, while others are not eliminating any possibilities. 
  • The plane was a Boeing model, marking the company’s third fatal aircraft crash in the past two years.

Fatal Crash

A plane that took off from Tehran, Iran crashed on Wednesday morning local time, killing all 176 people who were on board. 

The Ukraine International Airlines flight was bound for Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital. The deceased passengers consist of Iranians, Ukrainians, Canadians, and Swedes, according to a tweet released by Vadym Prystaiko, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. People from Afghanistan, Germany, and the United Kingdom were also on board.

“We express our condolences,” Prystaiko added. “The Ukrainian authorities continue to investigate.”

Following the crash, Ukraine banned all flights from Iranian airspace. Several other countries had already taken this action in the midst of heightening tensions between Iran and the United States— just hours earlier, Iran had launched missiles targeting an Iraqi airbase with American troops.

Search for Answers

Qassem Biniaz, an official at the Iranian Ministry of Roads and Urban Development, told the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) that the pilot could not regain control after an engine on the aircraft caught on fire.

The Iranian Students’ News Agency tweeted a video that it said depicts the crash, in which a bright spot in the air descends. At the end of the clip, the sky lights up upon apparent impact.

It is still unclear what caused the fatal crash. The plane, a Boeing 737-800, lost contact just a few minutes after takeoff, according to the air traffic tracker Flightradar24.

Iranian authorities said that technical defects were likely responsible for the crash.

Ali Abedzadeh, the head of Iran’s Civil Aviation Authority, told the Mehr news agency that they had no information about any technical issues and the pilot had not contacted the control tower about an emergency. He said the plane’s black boxes are to be analyzed for more information. 

According to The New York Times, Ukraine’s Embassy in Iran released a statement after the crash that eliminated terrorism or a rocket attack as a cause. However, the statement was later removed and replaced by a statement saying it was too early to conclude anything, the news outlet reported.

Abedzadeh noted that Ukrainian investigators would be a part of the investigation process.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky reiterated this message in a Facebook post, saying that a team of officials are heading to Iran to look into the situation. 

Abedzadeh added that the black boxes will not be given to the American manufacturer, Boeing, and the United States will not be involved in the investigation. 

This recent disaster could make matters worse for Boeing, as it marks the company’s third fatal aircraft crash in the last two years. According to the Flight Safety Foundation, Ukraine International Airlines has never suffered a fatal flight before this one.

See what others are saying: (Washington Post) (CNN) (NPR)

International

Canadian Catholic Priest Says Residential Schools Survivors Lied About Abuse

Published

on

The Roman Catholic Church is facing considerable backlash across Canada for its treatment of indigenous peoples in the residential school system, along with its subsequent efforts to downplay the problem.


Priest Sparks Outrage

Father Rheal Forest was put on forced leave Wednesday following remarks he made over a weeks-long period starting July 10 in which he doubted victims of the country’s infamous residential school system.

Residential schools were a system of schools largely for indigenous children that were mostly run by the Catholic Church with federal government funding. The schools were notoriously cruel and long faced allegations that children had been abused or went missing under their care.

To date, over 1,300 unmarked graves have been found at four former residential schools across Canada, a fraction of the over 130 that used to exist.

Forest, of the St. Boniface archdiocese in Winnipeg, was standing in for a couple of weeks while the main priest at his church was away. During that time, Forest told parishioners that victims of the residential schools, particularly those sexually abused, had lied.

“If [the victims] wanted extra money, from the money that was given to them, they had to lie sometimes — lie that they were abused sexually and, oop, another $50,000,” he said.

“It’s kind of hard if you’re poor not to lie.”

In that same sermon, he also added that during his time with Inuit groups in the north of the country, most had allegedly said they appreciated the residential school system. Instead, he said they blamed any abuses on lay people working at the facilities rather than priests or nuns.

Forest’s comments drew a ton of backlash, prompting the archdiocese to place Forest on leave. A spokesperson for the archdiocese said that the institution “completely disavow” Forest’s comments, adding, “We very much regret the pain they may have caused to many people, not least of course Indigenous people and, more specifically, survivors of the Residential School system.”

Overall, the archdiocese has attempted to apologize to indigenous communities for its part in the residential school system, with Archbishop Albert Legatt saying in a video that the way forward was by “acknowledging, apologizing, and acting” on terms set by indigenous groups.

Church Allegedly Kept Money From Victims

Forest’s views and subsequent dismissal aren’t the only public relations scandal the Roman Catholic Church faces in Canada.

According to documents obtained by CBC News, the Church spent over a decade avoiding paying out money to survivors per a 2005 agreement. At the time, it, alongside the protestant churches that also ran some residential schools, agreed to pay an amount to victims of the schools in the tens of millions.

Instead, according to an internal summary of 2015 court documents, the Catholic Church spent much of that money on lawyers, administration, a private fundraising company, and unapproved loans. It seems that some of this was technically legal, such as a promise to give tens of millions back via “in-kind” services; however, there was no audit completed to confirm that these services actually happened or to prove the alleged value of the services. This led to doubts about whether or not they were done effectively.

The Catholic Church was unique among the signatory churches in the 2005 agreement with its efforts to avoid paying victims. All of the other denominations paid out their sums many years before without issues.

While priests such as Father Forest have supported the Church, there has been internal backlash. Father André Poilièvre, a Saskatoon priest and Order of Canada recipient, said the Church’s actions are “scandalous” and “really shameful,” adding, “It was a loophole. It might be legal, but it’s not ethical.”

With these latest revelations, widespread anger at the Church has triggered allegations that indigenous groups are behind a spree of church burnings across the country.

The entire situation is likely going to continue to smolder as a government commission set up to investigate the schools estimates there will be thousands of more unmarked graves found across Canada.

See what others are saying: (CBC News) (The Guardian) (CTV News)

Continue Reading

International

Tokyo Sets Back-to-Back Records for Number of Daily COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

Some positive cases were detected among people attending the Olympic Games, including a handful of athletes.


Cases Going Up

The Tokyo Olympic Games found itself in more controversy on Wednesday after Tokyo experienced a record number of daily COVID-19 cases for the second day in a row.

On Tuesday, the city recorded 2,848 new cases of the virus, passing the 2,500 daily new case threshold for the first time since the pandemic began. Then on Wednesday, it shattered the record again with 3,177 new COVID-19 cases.

At least 155 of those new cases were detected among people attending the Games, including a handful of athletes, which contrasts Prime Minister Suga Yoshihide’s promise that the Olympics wouldn’t be hit with the virus. The spike in new cases has largely been attributed to the delta-variant, something that many countries are dealing with around the world.

Nishimura Yasutoshi, a Japanese economic minister, told a parliamentary panel this week that COVID-19 cases are expected to continue rising for at least a few days. He also explained that many people may have delayed getting tested last week due to holidays, therefore inflating total daily new case numbers.

Governors in prefectures around Tokyo have moved to ask the government for states-of-emergency, which Tokyo is already under.

Doubts About Government Response

The prime minister said in a press conference on Tuesday that “the government has secured a new drug that reduces the risk of serious illness by 70 percent,” adding, “we have confirmed that this drug will be used thoroughly from now on.”

However, he never actually mentioned what drug he was referencing.

“In any case, under these circumstances, I would like to ask the people to avoid going out unnecessarily and to watch the Olympics and Paralympics on TV,” Suga continued.

He also stressed that canceling the Olympics amid the outbreak was completely out of the question, although there have been continued calls from the public and opposition lawmakers for just that.

Beyond refusing to cancel the Games, Suga is facing backlash for refusing to enact strict state-of-emergency protocols. Currently, the measures in Tokyo are almost all voluntary and consist of asking people to stay home, along with requesting restaurants that serve alcohol to completely close and telling all others to shut down by 8 p.m.

See what others are saying: (Reuters) (NPR) (The Wall Street Journal)

Continue Reading

International

First Person Charged Under Hong Kong National Security Law Found Guilty of Terrorism and Inciting Secession

Published

on

Dozens more are awaiting trial for breaking the controversial National Security Law, which is aimed at protecting Chinese sovereignty at the cost of basic freedoms within Hong Kong.


First Conviction Under National Security Law

The first person to be charged under Hong Kong’s extremely controversial National Security Law was found guilty of his crimes Tuesday morning.

A judge ruled that Tong Ying-kit was guilty of both terrorism and inciting secession after the 24-year-old failed to stop at a police checkpoint while on his motorcycle last July, which resulted in him eventually riding into police. At the same time, he was carrying a flag that said “Liberate Hong Kong, Revolution of Our Times.”

According to Justice Esther Toh, that phrase alone was capable of inciting others to commit succession, she also that added that Tong understood that the flag had secessionist meaning in an effort to set aside doubts that Tong understood the flag’s inherent meaning.

Yamini Mishra, Amnesty International’s Asia-Pacific Regional Director said,“The conviction of Tong Ying-kit is a significant and ominous moment for human rights in Hong Kong.”

“Today’s verdict underlines the sobering fact that expressing certain political opinions in the city is now officially a crime, potentially punishable by life in jail,” she added.

More Convictions Expected Sparking Fear Over Erosion of Rights

A long string of convictions will likely follow Tong’s, as over 100 people have been arrested under the ambiguous law that criminalizes many forms of freedom of expression under the guise of protecting Chinese sovereignty. Of those arrested, 60 are currently awaiting trial, including dozens of pro-democracy politicians who have been accused of subversiveness for their calls to block the government’s agenda in the legislature.

That has drawn particular concern among international critics who fear the precedent that will be set once it’s clear to politicians that failing to rubber-stamp the Communist Party’s agenda will result in prison terms.

It’s widely expected that as more people are found guilty, the few remaining protections of the city’s Basic Law, a British common law-inspired mini-constitution, will be completely eroded.

See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (CNN) (BBC)

Continue Reading