Connect with us

Entertainment

BTS’ Potential Military Exemption Sparks Debate Over Mandatory Service for Stars

Published

on

  • BTS’ record label Big Hit Entertainment said no member of the K-pop boy band will enlist in the South Korean military this year.
  • Enlisting by the age of 28 is a mandatory requirement for South Korean men. The band’s oldest member, Jin, will near that requirement when he turns 27 in December.
  • South Korea’s Minister of Government Policy Coordination has urged the government to reconsider issuing BTS members special exemptions, a move which it previously said it would not do.
  • The idea of issuing special exemptions for K-pop boy bands has resulted in a larger debate over whether stars can use their fame to get out of military service. 

Will BTS Serve in the Military?

BTS’ record label clarified that no member of the K-pop boy band will serve in the South Korean army this year, despite a previous statement from a government official who said one member would serve. 

In 1957, South Korea enacted a mandatory service requirement for men between the ages of 18 and 28. By law, men must serve in the military for 21 months. If they don’t complete that service, they could face a number of repercussions, including being barred from international travel.

The band’s oldest member, Jin, will turn 27 in December, which means he’s currently running out of time to enlist. The other members of the band will also need to serve in the next few years to satisfy the requirement. 

For their part, the members of BTS have said they’ll serve when the time comes to do so.

“As a Korean, it’s natural, and someday, when duty calls, we’ll be ready to respond and do our best,” Jin told CBS Sunday Morning in April.

BTS has been at the forefront of the new debate over whether the South Korean government should extend special exemptions to boy bands and whether fame can be enough to get a person out of military service.

Currently, athletes can be exempted if they’ve won a medal in the Olympics or the Asian Games and musicians can earn exemption if they’ve won awards in classical or traditional music. Actors, however, rarely see exemptions. The few that are granted are typically because of health or money-related issues. In the last ten years, South Korea has only granted 220 such exemptions.

South Korea Denies BTS Exemption

In September, the Korean Ministry of National Defense said such an exemption for BTS was not possible.

“The Ministry of Defense is currently debating with related authorities on improving the current alternate service [program] in place of conscription,” ministry officials said, “but nothing has been decided as to when a change may take effect.”

However, on Oct. 18, South Korea’s Minister of Government Policy Coordination Noh Hyeong-ouk said a “comprehensive review” is needed to determine if boy bands like BTS can be exempted, adding that the military system should reflect the current times.

“We need to review the need for an open-door policy regarding special exceptions from military service in the K-pop industry, in order to provide motives for Korea’s expansion as a cultural content powerhouse,” Noh said.

That back and forth happened again when Ahn Min Seok—South Korea’s chairman for the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism—said he thought one of the members of BTS would be enlisting by the end of the year.

“It seems like it has been decided that they will not get any special treatment relating to military service for pop culture artists,” he said.

Big Hit Entertainment then denied the claim, with officials for the record label saying they didn’t know why such a story was reported.

Reactions

This situation has generated a mixed reaction online.

While many BTS fans have argued that BTS’ impact outweighs military service, some are mad this discussion is taking place and said they feel like the band is being exploited.

“Its crazy cause bts have yet to say anything about wanting military exemption yet they’re the face of it for kpop idols im so tired,” one user wrote. 

Other fans said they believe BTS should serve but all at the same time. That way, the band could simply go on a two-year hiatus instead of potentially rotating out members over the next decade.

Other people, however, are not at all pleased with the idea that BTS might be exempt from serving.

“To say that BTS deserve military exemption because they simply ‘paved the way’ sounds very disrespectful to Koreans,” one person tweeted. “I personally think the military would be good for the kpop idols.”

See what others are saying: (Showbiz Cheatsheet) (Korea Herald) (Paper)

Entertainment

Britney Spears Sends Cease and Desist to Jamie Lynn Over Book Tour

Published

on

Britney’s lawyer claimed that Jamie Lynn’s “ill-timed book” contains “misleading or outrageous claims” about the singer.


Britney Spears Slaps Sister With Cease and Desist

Britney Spears sent a cease and desist letter this week demanding her sister, Jamie Lynn, stop “referencing Britney derogatorily during” her book tour.

The two sisters have been embroiled in a heated war of words over the last week, largely prompted by Jamie Lynn’s new memoir, “Things I Should Have Said.” In the book and during its accompanying press tour, Jamie Lynn has discussed a variety of issues, including Britney’s controversial conservatorship, their father’s struggles with alcoholism, and what it was like to be raised in her older sister’s shadow. 

“We write with some hesitation because the last thing Britney wants is to bring more attention to your ill-timed book and its misleading or outrageous claims about her,” Britney’s lawyer, Mathew Rosengart, wrote in the letter, which was obtained by Variety. “Although Britney has not read and does not intend to read your book, she and millions of her fans were shocked to see how you have exploited her for monetary gain. She will not tolerate it, nor should she.”

The Spears family has been the subject of international headlines over the last year as the legal battle to free the “Toxic” singer from her 13-year conservatorship took off. Britney has been vocal about the fact that she felt largely abandoned by her family while she was in the conservatorship, claiming they did nothing to help her. A Los Angeles judge officially terminated the arrangement in November, giving the pop star newfound control over her life. 

“Having endured a 13-year conservatorship that stripped her of civil rights and fundamental liberties, Britney will no longer be bullied by her father or anyone else,” the letter continued. “Britney was the family’s breadwinner and she also otherwise supported you. Publicly airing false or fantastical grievances is wrong, especially when designed to sell books. It is also potentially unlawful and defamatory.”

Spears Sisters Duke it Out on Social Media

During the press tour, Jamie Lynn has conducted interviews aired on “Good Morning America,” “Nightline,” and the “Call Her Daddy” podcast with Alex Cooper. Britney has taken issue with several stories Jamie Lynn told, including one where she claims Britney locked them inside a room together with a knife because she was “scared.”

“I’ve never been around you ever with a knife or would I ever even think to do such,” Britney wrote in one Twitter post denying the story.

“Hope your book does well, Jamie Lynn !!!!” the singer wrote in another post. “My family ruined my dreams 100 billion percent and try to make me look like the crazy one.”

Jamie Lynn has defended her choice to write the memoir, arguing that she is “speaking my truth to heal my traumas.” 

“I hate to burst my sister’s bubble, but my book is not about her,” she wrote. “I can’t help that I was born a Spears too, and that some of my experiences involve my sister.

Rosengart mentioned this statement in the cease and desist letter. 

“You recently reportedly stated that the book was ‘not about her.’ [Britney] takes you at your word and we, therefore, demand that you cease and desist from referencing Britney derogatorily during your promotional campaign,” he wrote. “If you fail to do so or defame her, Britney will be forced to consider and take all appropriate legal action.”

See what others are saying: (Variety) (USA Today) (Rolling Stone)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Streamers Stand Up For Pokimane Amid Controversy With Ninja and JiDion

Published

on

Ninja and his family have threatened legal action against Pokimane, but many argue she is yet again the target of gender-based harassment.


What Happened Between Pokimane, Ninja, and JiDion?

Pokimane criticized fellow streamer Ninja on Monday for seemingly offering to help JiDion evade his recent Twitch ban, prompting a larger conversation about female harassment on the platform. 

The controversy began last week when JiDion hate-raided one of Pokimane’s Twitch streams. JiDion was initially given a 14-day ban from the platform, but it was eventually extended to a permanent ban, which he vowed to fight against. He and his viewers attempted to enlist the help of Ninja in hopes he might be able to get in touch with Twitch. 

At one point, Ninja said he would consider seeing if there was anything he could do, but warned that JiDion should not spam anyone or “ratio bitches” in the future. While Ninja soon clarified he did not mean Pokimane specifically, rather “bitches in general,” many lambasted the streamer’s choice of words as Pokimane is vocal about the vitriol female creators face. 

“I wonder if Ninja would have said bitches if it was a large male streamer that was hate raided,” Pokimane said during a livestream. “But I digress.” 

During a stream of his own, Ninja also said he texted his Twitch representative for assistance on behalf of JiDion. 

“Why Ninja would help someone evade a ban for harassing me?” Pokimane said in response. “I have no idea. I genuinely don’t know.” 

Jessica Blevins Threatens Legal Action

Pokimane has continued to call out Ninja for aiding a streamer who was facing consequences for harassing her. However, despite his comments during his own stream, Ninja now claims he never actually texted his representative to help JiDion. 


“I swear on my grandfather’s life, who just passed away, that I didn’t text my twitch rep,”
he said in the alleged direct message to Pokimane. “You are making a big mistake.”

Ninja’s wife, Jessica Blevins, likewise allegedly messaged Pokimane about the ordeal. 

“We are considering everything defamation of character at this point and are getting our legal team involved,” Blevins wrote, according to the screenshot shared by Pokimane. “You are spewing lies to tens of thousands of people. You know Twitch, you claim you know his rep, then you know from them that Tyler NEVER reached out to anyone, and AGAIN, just said that to stop the harassment in his chat from jidion’s viewers. We have clarified everything to you. You are actively bringing harassment to Tyler and I right now at the highest level and we are taking this very seriously.”

Pokimane said she interpreted this to mean that Ninja merely pretended to text the representative.  

“I’m willing to accept [that] and cannot disprove,” she tweeted. “I just wanted the clip out there to show what happened.” 

JiDion has since apologized to Pokimane and asked for his followers to put the ordeal behind them. Other major streamers have also taken to Twitter to support Pokimane, citing the constant harassment female content creators are subjected to online. 

Streamers Support Pokimane

“​​If Ninja’s upset about being harassed and ‘misrepresented’… imagine how Pokimane feels every single day being a woman on Twitch,” ConnorEatsPants wrote.

Sad how Pokimane still has to deal with misogyny and harassment in 2022,” Mizkif added. “And It’s even more sad how I have to say this publicly because people are afraid to stand up and say she’s being treated poorly because they’ll be called a ‘simp.’”

Valkyrae wrote that she will “always” support Pokimane, while Annie Fuschia said the streamer has so “much strength” for sticking up for herself. 

See what others are saying: (Dexerto) (IGN) (Game Rant)

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Anti-Vaxxers Spread Conspiracy Theory Claiming Bob Saget Died From COVID-19 Booster Shot

Published

on

This comes less than a month after anti-vaxxers spread a similar false rumor about comedian Betty White.


Anti-Vaxxers Spread Unfounded Theory About Bob Saget’s Death

Anti-vax and right-wing conspiracy theorists are spreading unfounded claims that comedian Bob Saget died as a result of receiving his COVID-19 booster shot.

Saget, best known for his role as Danny Tanner on “Full House,” died this week at the age of 65 in Orlando, Florida. The Orange County Sheriff’s office said they were responding to “a call about an unresponsive man in a hotel room” and pronounced Saget dead on the scene at the Ritz-Carlton. They found “no signs of foul play or drug use” and some reports have since claimed that it appears Saget may have died in his sleep. No further cause of death has been released. 

Not long after the news of his death, anti-vaxxers begin circulating baseless claims that a COVID-19 booster shot killed Saget. Saget said he received his booster shot on a Dec. 13 episode of his podcast. Many have shared a clip where he talks about the booster to suggest that was his cause of death.

COVID-19 vaccines and boosters have been proven to be both safe and effective. That, of course, has not stopped conspiracy theorists from endlessly touting false assertions about unproven side effects and responses.

Claims about Saget’s death being vaccine-related can be found on Twitter, Reddit, TikTok, Telegram, and other social media platforms. Many of the posts, despite containing clear misinformation, have remained on these sites for several days without being taken down. 

Candace Owens Promotes Booster Theory

The conspiracy found a large platform this week when conservative news personality Candace Owens discussed it on her Daily Wire talk show. Owens has repeatedly spoken against COVID-19 vaccines and uses her platform to regularly share all kinds of political and cultural misinformation. 

During the Jan. 11 episode of “Candace,” which was flagged by Media Matters, Owens said the public has a “right to demand answers” about the circumstances around Saget’s death and the booster. 

“I’m just not on Big Pharma’s payroll and I refuse to peddle in their lies. And so to that end, today, I’m going to point out another truth and it will likely be deemed a conspiracy theory until it’s not,” she said. “There are too many healthy individuals, like Bob Saget, who we know have received their vaccinations, who are dropping dead, suddenly and unexpectedly, with no further explanation. Healthy athletes, young students in their physical prime — the majority of them males — dropping dead suddenly and unexpectedly in the middle of games from heart issues.”

Owens continued to peddle anti-vax rhetoric regarding the media and vaccine mandates. She also spewed unsubstantiated suggestions that “healthy men are dying” because of vaccines. 

“All of this to say I don’t know why a healthy man, who was in the middle of a comedy tour, suddenly and unexpectedly drops dead in his hotel room,” she continued. “But I do know that we have a right to ask the question. All of us do. In fact, when the entire world has suddenly and unexpectedly been prescribed an injection that we don’t need, it is not only our right to ask questions but also our right to demand answers.”

Anti-Vax Misinformation Has Found A Large Platform

Not even a month before Saget’s death, anti-vaxxers likewise falsely claimed that comedian and actress Betty White died from receiving her COVID-19 booster. White passed at the age of 99, just weeks before her 100th birthday. According to her death certificate, she died from a stroke she had six days before her death on Dec. 31. 

After people started falsely claiming the booster caused her death, White’s agent released a statement clarifying these rumors were not true. 

“Betty died peacefully in her sleep at her home,” Jeff Witjas told People Magazine. “People are saying her death was related to getting a booster shot three days earlier but that is not true. She died of natural causes. Her death should not be politicized — that is not the life she lived.”

Media platforms have struggled to control the swelling amount of misinformation users constantly spread, specifically regarding the pandemic and vaccinations. While many sites have promised to remove, flag, or fact-check incorrect posts, anyone who wants to find anti-vax information will have an easy time doing so. 

This week, a group of doctors and medical workers urged Spotify to lay out a misinformation policy, citing the false claims Joe Rogan has repeatedly made about vaccines on his podcast. Several international fact-checking organizations also recently demanded that YouTube do more to fight disinformation on its service. Over the last year, citizens and politicians have asked that Twitter, Facebook, and Google do more to slow the spread of pandemic-related misinformation.

“While we understand that your companies have implemented policies regarding the removal of vaccine-related misinformation and dedicated resources to stop the spread of misinformation, we believe more must be done,” a group of Democratic senators wrote in a letter to the three company’s CEOs. “It is imperative that you be transparent about the amount of harmful misinformation that appears on your platforms and the effectiveness of your efforts to remove this content, so that public health organizations and experts can respond appropriately.”

See what others are saying: (Insider) (The Daily Beast) (The Daily Dot)

Continue Reading