- Kevin Smith made a Hot Ones parody with Jason Mewes, where they claimed they were were rejected from appearing on Hot Ones.
- This prompted fans to get upset and call Hot Ones host Sean Evans out for not booking them.
- Sean Evans responded, saying that this was not true and that he was in positive communication with Kevin’s team to book them at a later date.
- Smith apologized for causing trouble and said that he did not mean to attack Evans or the show. He said that while he was initially rejected, he is now potentially scheduled for some point in 2020.
Kevin Smith Parodies Hot Ones
After comedian Kevin Smith made a parody of Hot Ones, tensions between him and the show’s host, Sean Evans heated up to a high Scoville level. Now, however, it looks like the two have made online peace.
On Monday, Smith posted video parodying the hit First We Feast show. His version of the web series was called “Not Ones” and featured him in the hosting role. Jason Mewes, who will appear alongside him in his upcoming film Jay and Silent Bob Reboot, was the interviewee.
The premise of “Not Ones” was that both Smith and Mewes had been rejected from appearing on Hot Ones, leaving them to eat spicy wings on their own show instead.
“You ever see that other show?” Smith asks Mewes. “There’s a show online where they have famous people on it, where they eat hot food and it gets increasingly hotter. And they talk about whatever they’re working on and stuff.”
“I thought with a new movie coming out that we would be able to go on to that show,” he later added. “But our publicist reached out to the other show and they said they weren’t interested.”
Throughout the video, jokes are repeatedly made about them not making it onto Hot Ones, which they refer to as “the other show.” The description of the video and Smith’s tweet promoting it also referenced their rejection.
Fans were shocked to hear that Smith claimed Hot Ones passed on him.
“They weren’t interested in Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, WTFWTF!?” one comment read.
“I love Hot Ones…hearing they turned down Kevin Smith breaks my heart… He would be such a great guest,” another read.
Fans also took their frustrations to Twitter. Many tweeted at Evans to express disappointment that Smith had allegedly been turned down from the show.
Sean Evans Responds
The online buzz caught Evans’ attention, prompting him to respond in a video on Twitter. According to Evans, Hot Ones had been working to get Smith on, but the key problem was timing. He said the situation had been “blown up completely out of proportion.”
“For the record, we have never ever passed on Kevin Smith for lack of interest,” he said. “In fact, we had a conversation going with his team that I thought was going really positive.”
He added that making so many episodes keeps the Hot Ones crew busy, so when potential guests call requesting quick turnarounds, it can’t always be done. So, in situations like these, they try to get stars on at a later date.
He then said he found the parody to be funny, but added, “it’s all based on a total lie.”
Kevin Smith Apologizes for Stirring the Pot
Smith took to Twitter to address the online chatter himself. He maintained that someone from Hot Ones told him they were “not interested” in having him. He also said, however, that the video was made in fun, and not to send mean-spirited comments Evans’ way.
The top comment of the video furthers that point.
“Folks, this was done in fun. Please don’t get sh*tty at Hot Ones over this,” Smith wrote. “This has been my favorite #JayAndSilentBobReboot promo thus far and it never would’ve happened under any other circumstance. NOT ONES is not meant to incite revolt, it’s meant to remind you that if no band will have you, simply start your own band with your friends!”
Smith also uploaded a walk-and-talk style video to drive his point home, where he further explained the scheduling situation between him and Hot Ones.
“I understand my team was trying to work out a schedule. Your team said 2020,” Smith said. “That’s wonderful, that’s fantastic, but so we shot our little video anyways for fun. But that wasn’t about you, there it is.”
Evans took his apology to heart and said he got a “good laugh” out of “Not Ones.”
No hard feelings Kevin not sure where that would’ve come from but best of luck on the new movie and we got a good laugh out of Not Ones— Sean Evans (@seanseaevans) September 30, 2019
The two now seem to be on much better terms, because when someone suggested they make an episode of “Pot Ones” that involves them getting “progressively higher during the interview,” both expressed excited interest.
See what others are saying: (Vice) (Comicbook.com)
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Says Trump Ban Was the “Right Decision” But Sets “Dangerous” Precedent
- While defending Twitter’s decision to permanently ban President Donald Trump, CEO Jack Dorsey noted the “dangerous” precedent such a move set.
- “Having to take these actions fragment the public conversation,” Dorsey said in a lengthy Twitter thread on Wednesday. “They divide us. They limit the potential for clarification, redemption, and learning.”
- Dorsey’s message came the same day Twitter fully reinstated Rep. Lauren Boebert’s (R-Co.) account, hours after locking it for violating Twitter rules. A Twitter spokesperson later described the lock as an “incorrect enforcement action.”
Dorsey Describes Trump Ban as a Double-Edged Sword
In a lengthy Twitter thread published Wednesday, CEO Jack Dorsey defended his platform’s decision to permanently ban President Donald Trump, while also noting the “dangerous” precedent such a unilateral move sets.
Twitter made the decision to ban Trump on Jan. 8, two days after pro-Trump insurrectionists stormed the U.S. Capitol complex in an assault that left multiple dead.
“I do not celebrate or feel pride in our having to ban [Trump] from Twitter, or how we got here,” Dorsey said in the first of 13 tweets.
Nonetheless, Dorsey described Trump’s ban as “the right decision for Twitter.”
“Offline harm as a result of online speech is demonstrably real, and what drives our policy and enforcement above all,” he added.
“That said, having to ban an account has real and significant ramifications,” Dorsey continued.
“[It] sets a precedent I feel is dangerous: the power an individual or corporation has over a part of the global public conversation.”
Dorsey described most bans as a failure of Twitter to “promote healthy conversation,” though he noted that exceptions to such a mindset also exist. Among other failures, Dorsey said extreme actions like a ban can “fragment public conversation,” divide people, and limit “clarification, redemption, and learning.”
Dorsey: Trump Bans Were Not Coordinated
Dorsey continued his thread by addressing claims and criticism that Trump’s ban on Twitter violated free speech.
“A company making a business decision to moderate itself is different from a government removing access, yet can feel much the same,” he said.
Indeed, multiple legal experts have stated that Trump’s ban on social media does not amount to First Amendment violations, as the First Amendment only addresses government censorship.
“If folks do not agree with our rules and enforcement, they can simply go to another internet service,” Dorsey added. However, Dorsey noted that such a concept has been challenged over the past week.
This moment in time might call for this dynamic, but over the long term it will be destructive to the noble purpose and ideals of the open internet. A company making a business decision to moderate itself is different from a government removing access, yet can feel much the same.— jack (@jack) January 14, 2021
Trump has now been banned or suspended from a number of platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. On Wednesday, Snapchat announced plans to terminate Trump’s account in the “interest of public safety.” Previously, Snapchat had only suspended his account, but as of Jan. 20, it will be permanently banned.
Addressing criticism of the swift bans handed down by these platforms in the wake of the Capitol attack, Dorsey said he doesn’t believe Trump’s bans on social media were coordinated.
“More likely: companies came to their own conclusions or were emboldened by the actions of others,” he said.
Twitter Reverses Course of Locking Rep. Lauren Boebert’s Account
Dorsey’s thread regarding the fragile nature of regulating users’ privileges on the platform seemed to play out earlier the same day.
On Wednesday, newly-elected Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Co.) posted a screenshot to Instagram showing that her Twitter account had been locked for six days. The screenshot stated that she had violated Twitter’s rules and would be unable to tweet, retweet, or like until her account was unlocked.
Hours later, Twitter reversed course and fully reinstated her account.
“In this instance, our teams took the incorrect enforcement action. The Tweet in question is now labeled in accordance with our Civic Integrity Policy. The Tweet will not be required to be removed and the account will not be temporarily locked,” a spokesperson for the platform told Insider.
It is unknown what tweet caused that initial ban, as Twitter refused to say.
The latest tweet from Boebert’s account to be tagged with a fact check warning is from Sunday. In that tweet, she baselessly and falsely accuses the DNC of rigging the 2020 Election, a claim that largely inspired the Capitol attacks.
See what others are saying: (Business Insider) (CNN) (Associated Press)
Uber and Lyft Drivers Sue To Overturn California’s Prop 22
- A group of Uber and Lyft drivers filed a lawsuit Tuesday against California’s controversial Prop 22, a ballot measure that was approved by nearly 59% of state voters in the 2020 election.
- While Prop 22 does promise drivers wage guarantees and health insurance stipends, it also eliminated some protections as well as benefits like sick pay and workers’ compensation.
- In their lawsuit, the drivers argue that Prop 22 “illegally” prevents them from being able to access the state’s workers’ compensation program.
What’s in the Lawsuit?
In a lawsuit filed Tuesday, a group of Uber and Lyft drivers asked California’s Supreme Court to overturn the state’s controversial Prop 22 ballot measure.
The drivers behind the lawsuit, along with Service Employees International Union, allege that Prop 22 “illegally” bars them from being able to participate in the state’s workers’ compensation program.
Additionally, they argue that the measure violates California’s constitution by“stripping” the state legislature of its ability to protect who unionize.
“Every day, rideshare drivers like me struggle to make ends meet because companies like Uber and Lyft prioritize corporate profits over our wellbeing,” Plaintiff Saori Okawa said in a statement.
Conversely, Uber driver and Prop 22 activist Jim Pyatt denounced the lawsuit, saying,“Voters across the political spectrum spoke loud and clear, passing Prop 22 in a landslide. Meritless lawsuits that seek to undermine the clear democratic will of the people do not stand up to scrutiny in the courts.”
California ballot measures have been occasionally repealed in the past; however, most of the time, they’ve only been repealed following subsequent ballot measures. If this lawsuit fails, such an initiative would likely be the last option for overturning Prop 22.
What is Prop 22?
Prop 22, which was approved by 59% of state voters in the 2020 Election, exempts app-based transportation and delivery companies from having to classify their drivers as employees. Rather, those drivers are listed as “independent contractors,” also known as gig workers.
Notably, Prop 22 was supported by major industry players like DoorDash, Uber, Lyft, and Instacart, which launched a massive $200 million lobbying and advertising campaign.
While those companies did promise wage guarantees and health insurance stipends for drivers, Prop 22 also eliminated a number of protections and benefits drivers would have seen under an “employee” status, including sick pay and workers’ compensation.
Because of that, many opponents have argued that the measure incentivizes companies to lay off their employees in favor of cheaper labor options.
Last week, it was reported that grocery stores like Albertsons, Vons, and Pavilions began laying off their delivery workers in favor of switching to ”third-party logistics providers.” According to Albertson’s, unionized delivery workers were not included in the layoffs.
In recent coverage from KPBS, one San Diego Vons delivery worker detailed a situation in which he and delivery workers were called into a meeting with management.
“I thought they were going to give us a bonus or a raise or something like that,” he said.
Ultimately, that employee was told he would be losing his job in late February, even though he had been with the company for two-and-a-half years.
“I didn’t want to tell them,” the employee said of his parents, one of whom is disabled. “I’m the breadwinner for the family.”
See what others are saying: (The Verge) (The Washington Post) (CNN)
Daniel Silva Blames Cory La Barrie for His Own Death in New Legal Filing
- Popular Tattoo artist Daniel Silva said the death of YouTuber Cory La Barrie was due to La Barrie’s “own negligence,” in response to a wrongful death lawsuit from his family.
- La Barrie died last May after Silva lost control of the sports car they were in, crashing into a street sign and tree.
- La Barrie’s family has accused Silva of negligence, saying his excessive speeding caused the crash. They also claim he was under the influence, though he was never formally charged with a DUI.
- According to TMZ, Silva filed documents saying La Barrie “assumed the risk of death when he jumped into Daniel’s car that fateful night back in May.”
Corey La Barrie’s Death
Popular tattoo artist Daniel Silva has blamed YouTuber Corey La Barrie for his own death in response to a wrongful death lawsuit from La Barrie’s family, according to TMZ.
The tabloid says he filed legal documents saying, “the car crash that led to Corey’s death was due to his own negligence, and he assumed the risk of death when he jumped into Daniel’s car that fateful night back in May.”
La Barrie died on May 10, his 25th birthday, after Silva was speeding and lost control of the sports car they were in, crashing into a street sign and tree.
Police say Silva tried to leave the scene but was stopped by witnesses. He was later arrested and charged with murder. Silva eventually reached an agreement with prosecutors to plead no contest to vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence.
In August, Silva was sentenced to 364 days in jail, with credit for 216 days served because of California sentencing guidelines, even though it had only been 108 days since the crash at the time.
He also earned five years of probation, 250 hours of community service, and a suspended prison sentence of four years, which would be imposed if he violates the terms of his probation.
Wrongful Death Suit
Silva still faces the family’s lawsuit, which they filed the same month their son died.
In it, La Barrie’s family has accused Silva of negligence, saying his excessive speeding caused the crash. They also claim he was driving under the influence.
It’s worth noting that people close to Silva have disputed that claim and he was never charged with a DUI. However, the first police statement about the crash labeled it a “DUI Fatal Traffic Collision.” Witnesses have said the two were partying earlier that night, though