Connect with us

Uncategorized

Woody Allen Defends Himself and Addresses #MeToo

Published

on

  • During an interview with France 24, Woody Allen defended his work by saying he has “done everything that the #MeToo movement would love to achieve.”
  • Allen has been the subject of controversy in Hollywood since he was accused of sexually assaulting his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow when she was a child, though he has denied these claims.
  • His name appeared in the news earlier this week when actress Scarlett Johansson said she believed him and would work with him. 
  • Farrow responded to Johansson by saying she “has a long way to go in understanding the issue she claims to champion.”

Woody Allen Speaks to France24

Film director Woody Allen, who has long been accused of sexual assault, claimed his work supports the goals of the #MeToo movement. 

Allen sat down with France24 on Friday, just prior to the premiere of his new film, A Rainy Day in New York at a film festival in France. The film’s lead actors, Elle Fanning, Timothée Chalamet, and Selena Gomez are not scheduled to walk the red carpet. Amazon also shelved the film from a theatrical release in the United States. 

Allen claimed he was unconcerned about his movie not receiving screen time in the states and addressed a past claim he made about being the poster boy for the #MeToo movement.

“I’ve worked with hundreds of actresses, not one of them has ever complained about me, not a single complaint,” he said. “I’ve worked with, employed women in the top capacity, in every capacity, for years and we’ve always paid them exactly the equal of men.” 

“I’ve done everything that the #MeToo movement would love to achieve,” Allen added.

Allen has often been the subject of controversy in Hollywood since his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow said he sexually assaulted her when she was a child. Many in the industry have distanced themselves from the director due to the allegations against him. Specifically, vocal advocates for the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements have condemned him.

Scarlett Johansson’s Recent Defense of Allen

Allen’s name was in headlines earlier this week when actress Scarlett Johansson defended him while speaking with the Hollywood Reporter. Johansson first worked with the director in 2006 while starring alongside Hugh Jackman in Scoop.

“I love Woody,” she said in her interview. “I believe him, and I would work with him anytime.”

The Avengers star has spoken in favor of women’s equality movements in Hollywood and even spoke at the 2018 Women’s March in Los Angeles dawning a Time’s Up t-shirt. She faced significant backlash for her remarks about Allen, most notably from Farrow herself.

“Scarlett has a long way to go in understanding the issue she claims to champion,” Farrow wrote on Twitter.

See what others are saying: (The Hollywood Reporter) (The Guardian) (IndieWire


Entertainment

Today in Awesome: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’s Possible Return and Ways to Help Students

Published

on

Happy Tuesday! Here are some awesome stories that you should know about today, from potential TV show reboots to organizations doing important work for students.


Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Drama Reboot

The first bit of awesome is the news around a “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”
reboot. Back in March 2019, independent filmmaker Morgan Cooper released this mock-trailer for a re-imagined dramatic take on the popular TV show.

Check out the trailer for yourself because reading about it doesn’t do Cooper’s work the justice it deserves.

According to Hollywood Reporter, the video caught the attention of Will Smith, who then approached Cooper and Universal TV (they own the rights to the show) and got them on board for the drama reboot. The current working name for the project is “Bel-Air.”

The project is still in its early stages, being shopped to streaming services such as HBO and Netflix. HBO Max is where “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air” currently resides, although it currently up in the air if that will make any difference in negotiations.

Currently, there is no official date for when the project is expected to officially begin.

Organizations That Fight the Digital Divide

Then let’s talk about some organizations doing good. Despite indications that students are susceptible to COVID-19, schools across the nation have plans to reopen classrooms.

Currently, 12 out of 15 of the largest school districts across the country will be doing school remotely. However, unfortunately, many students affected by the decision experience the “digital divide,” a term used to describe the vast disparity between students who have access to tech and those who don’t.

About 9 million children are expected to have difficulty completing assignments online because of bad internet, while 14% of children are thought to have no internet access at home.

But there are organizations working to combat this issue, particularly during the pandemic, where students are more likely to need at-home internet and access to devices that can be used for at-home school work.

One organization catching attention is EveryoneOn, which works to get brands to offer low-cost data and internet for those who need it, while also trying to connect low-income families with those brands.

Community vs. Covid-19 does similar work and is currently raising $20,000 to give devices to students who are in need. They also provide a way for people to set up their own campaigns to try and raise money to help their communities, many of which have raised thousands on their own.

If you have the ability to donate, check out their websites.


Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Twitter Considers Subscription Models After Ad Revenue Drops

Published

on

  • Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has announced that the company is considering plans to integrate a subscription model on the platform.
  • Reportedly, that would likely be in the form of an ad-free version of Twitter.
  • The news, which was speculated earlier this month after a job listing from the company appeared, comes amid a 23% decline in the platform’s ad sales compared to this time last year. 
  • It also comes one week after what is now arguably Twitter’s most alarming data breach ever. The company revealed Wednesday that hackers targeted 130 high profile accounts and even accessed the private messages of one elected official in the Netherlands.

Twitter Could Launch a Subscription Model This Year

Amid a sharp decline in advertisement sales, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has now said that the company is actively exploring adding a subscription-based model to the platform.

“You will likely see some tests this year” of different models, Dorsey said.

Dorsey revealed the plan on Thursday as Twitter reported its second-quarter earnings report. Notably, ad revenue accounted for $562 million, and while that might sound like jackpot-equivalent figures to the everyday person, it’s actually 23% dip in ad revenue for Twitter compared to the same quarter last year.

That’s also despite attracting a record 20 million daily active users to the platform during the same time period.

Part of the reason why Twitter is seeing slumping ad sales is due to many companies struggling to stay afloat—let alone to maintain ads—in the current COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, Twitter’s drop in ad sales are in line with the U.S. market as a whole, which saw a 25% decline in ad spending for Q2.

Another factor that could play into the drop off involves recent ad boycotts by some companies. Those boycotts have largely been driven by ongoing protests calling for racial justice and criticism that social media platforms are not doing enough to silence hate speech. 

Rumors that Twitter executives might be considering such a move already began to circulate earlier this month after the company posted a job opening seeking a senior software engineer that would join a “new team.”

According to the posting, that team would be focused on “building a subscription platform,” codenamed “Gryphon.” It’s unknown if that name will be used in the future.

Following this news, Twitter stocks surged—particularly because a subscription model would open up new revenue streams and raise the company’s value. After Dorsey’s official announcement, Twitter shares again rose on Thursday.

“First and foremost, we have a really high bar for when we would ask consumers to pay for aspects of Twitter,” Dorsey said in justification of the potential model. “We have focused majority of our attention on increasing revenue durability, meaning that we have multiple lines of revenue to pull from. But most importantly, we want to make sure that any new line of revenue is complementary to our advertising business.”

Essentially, don’t expect to start having to pay to post that tweet that you just know is going to explode with likes; reportedly, Twitter’s subscription model will likely be an ad-free version of the platform. 

“The prospect of a paid version of Twitter—free from trackers, annoying ads and irritating algorithms which meddle with the clean chronology of the timeline—has been a holy grail for certain Twitter addicts since (basically) forever,” Natasha Lomas wrote for Tech Crunch. “So plenty of its most fervent users will be watching keenly to see exactly what Dorsey cooks up.”

Some social media platforms, such as YouTube, have already launched subscription services; however, YouTube’s model is more closely aligned to that of streaming providers. Twitter’s most direct competitors—Facebook and Instagram—are completely free and devoid of subscription models. Like Twitter, both platforms rely on ads. 

The Extent of That Massive Twitter Hack

Twitter’s stunted earnings follow what Dorsey called a “tough week” for the platform. In fact, it was arguably one of Twitter’s worst weeks ever as a massive bitcoin hack compromised dozens of high profile accounts.

The victims of the hack include of a wide scope of public figures, ranging from reality star Kim Kardashian-West to former President Barack Obama and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Twitter revealed the further extent of that hack Wednesday and just how deep its security breach is believed to have stretched. 

“We believe that for up to 36 of the 130 targeted accounts, the attackers accessed the DM inbox, including 1 elected official in the Netherlands,” Twitter said in a tweet. “To date, we have no indication that any other former or current elected official had their DMs accessed.”

“We feel terrible about the security incident,” Dorsey said Thursday. “Security doesn’t have an end point. It’s a constant iteration… We will continue to go above and beyond here as we continue to secure our systems and as we continue to work with external firms and law enforcement.”

See what others are saying: (CNN Business) (Variety) (Tech Crunch)

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

We Need To Talk About The Portland “Secret Police” Videos Controversy & Why Your City May Be Next

Published

on

Continue Reading