- During the G7 summit, President Donald Trump said trade negotiations between the U.S. and China could begin soon after recent tariff escalations.
- French President Emmanuel Macron also encouraged Trump to meet with Iranian leaders, which Trump suggested he could potentially agree to.
- Leaders also agreed on a $20 million aid package to help fight the Amazon rainforest fires, which comes amid a feud between Macron and Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro about international involvement on the issue.
Trump Talks Trade Negotiations with China
United States trade negotiations with China, potential meetings with President Donald Trump and Iranian leaders, and the Amazon rainforest fires were major points of discussion during this years G7 summit, which wraps up Monday.
France hosted the summit on its coast in the town of Biarritz, where the other G7 countries — Canada, Italy, Germany, Japan, the U.K., and the U.S.— were all in attendance.
Following Friday’s escalations in the trade war between the U.S. and China, when the U.S. raised tariffs on the country, President Trump said that negotiations could begin soon. Trump said he took two phone calls with Chinese officials to discuss the matter.
“We’re going to start very shortly to negotiate, we’ll see what happens,” Trump said during a G7 meeting Sunday. “But I think we’re going to make a deal.”
Chinese Vice Premier Liu He also spoke about scaling the trade war back over the weekend.
“We are willing to resolve the issue through consultations and cooperation in a calm attitude and resolutely oppose the escalation of the trade war,” he said in a statement.
Macron Invites Iranian Foreign Minister
Iran also moved to the top of minds when French President Emmanuel Macron invited Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif to the summit on Sunday. Zarif’s visit was a last-minute surprise, and leaders like Trump were only given notice the night before.
Macron and Zarif met together, but Trump and Zarif never did. Macron has been urging Trump to take an easier approach when it comes to Iran, partially in light of Trump’s choice to leave the Iran Nuclear Deal last year.
During a press conference, Macron said he wanted to work out a meeting between the U.S. and Iran in a few weeks. Trump made no commitment but did not shut the idea down.
“If the circumstances were correct or right, I would certainly agree to that,” Trump said. “But in the meantime, they have to be good players.”
Aid for Amazon Rainforest
Leaders at the G7 also discussed one of the most topical global issues today: the fires in the Amazon rainforest. Leaders worked on a plan together during a climate session, which Trump did not attend. He was the only leader to miss this session, though a senior administration member went in his place.
Macron and Chilean President Sebastián Piñera announced that all countries reached an agreement to send $20 million in aid. The funds will go primarily to planes fighting the fires. An agreement was also made to further protect the forest and begin reforestation efforts.
The fires in the Amazon landed a spot at the top of the G7 agenda after reports showed that fires in Brazil’s Amazon have increased by 84% this year. The forest provides 20% of the world’s oxygen, and many believe deforestation could be the cause of these devastating fires. Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has faced criticism for his support of deforestation and lack of action with the fires.
On Friday, however, Brazil did announce their own efforts. The country made 44,000 troops available to stop the fires and said it will use warplanes to dump water on affected areas.
Before the summit started, Macron called the fires an “international crisis” and urged fellow leaders to make the fires a priority. This sparked a feud between him and Bolsonaro.
“The French President’s suggestion that Amazonian issues be discussed at the G7 without the participation of the countries of the region evokes a misplaced colonialist mindset in the 21st century,” Bolsonaro responded.
As the G7 leaders announced their aid plans, Bolsonaro took another shot at Macron.
“We can’t accept that a president – Macron – fires off improper and gratuitous attacks on Amazonia,” he tweeted. “Nor that he hides his intentions behind the idea of an ‘alliance’ of G7 countries to ‘save’ Amazonia, as if we were a colony or no man’s land.”
However, President Piñera, a closer ally to Bolsonaro said he understood why the issue deserves national attention.
“The Amazon is in South America, and the countries there have sovereignty over that territory they want to protect,” he said. “At the same time the Amazon is part of the health of the whole planet. And therefore it is reasonable that everybody is concerned about that. We have to find a compromise between those two.”
“And that was the problem between Macron and Bolsonaro at the beginning,” he added. “But it has already been solved because now both the G7 and the Amazon countries, with the collaboration of Chile are pushing in the same direction.”
Despite those comments, it seems the two leaders are still not seeing exactly eye to eye. Someone posted a meme on Bolsonar’s Facebook page comparing the Brazillian leader’s wife to Macron’s wife. Bolsonaro’s account responded saying “don’t humiliate the guy.” Many have interpreted this as a dig at Macron and his wife.
It is unclear if Bolsonaro posted the comment himself, or if someone else did it from his account. Macron called the remark “disrespectful” during the G7.
“What can I tell you? It’s sad. It’s sad for him and for Brazilians,” he added. “I think that Brazilian women are probably ashamed to read that their president has done that.”
“As I have a lot of friendship and respect for the Brazilian people, I hope that they will quickly have a president who is up to the job,” Macron later added.
See what others are saying: (Associated Press) (New York Times) (Al Jazeera)
5 Dead, 2 Injured After Bow and Arrow Attack in Norway
Police have called the incident a terror attack, though exact details regarding the suspect’s motives remain unclear.
Super Market Attack
The Norwegian town of Kongsberg is reeling from a deadly incident at Coop Extra supermarket on Wednesday that police are treating as “an act of terrorism.”
Shortly before 6 p.m., a 37-year old Danish man entered the market, armed with a bow and arrow, along with other weapons. He then began firing at those inside the building.
Authorities quickly responded and were on the scene within five minutes. Despite a police confrontation with the suspect, the attack continued. Four women and one man were ultimately killed while two others were left injured.
The suspect initially avoided arrest after managing to flee the scene. Police Chief Ole Bredrup Sæverud told reporters Thursday that it took 35 minutes to catch the attacker.
While police described the incident as a terror attack, they refused to specify a motive. Officials did hint that the rampage might have been religiously motivated by revealing that police had previously been in contact with the suspect due to his conversion to Islam and possible connections to radical content and teachings. Still, Sæverud clarified that the perpetrator hadn’t been actively investigated at all in 2021.
Prime Minister Erna Solberg, who was just hours away from leaving office after she was ousted in recent elections, described reports of the scene as “horrifying” on Wednesday. Incoming Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre said in a Facebook post from Thursday morning that the attack was a “cruel and brutal act.”
Norway’s King Harald expressed his sympathies to the mayor of Kongs-berg, telling the country, “We sympathize with the relatives and injured in the grief and despair.”
“And we think of all those affected in Kongs-berg who have experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place. It shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open street.”
Attacks of this nature are rare in Norway. In 2019, a right-wing gunman tried to enter a mosque before being overpowered and hitting no one. Wednesday’s attack is the most deadly since July 2011, when a far-right extremist killed 77 people at a Labour party summer camp.
Editor’s Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murderers or suspected mass murderers who may have been seeking attention or infamy. Therefore, we will not be linking to other sources, as they may contain these details.
Protests Erupt in Italy Over World’s Toughest Vaccine Mandate
The violence is believed to have been instigated by far-right groups that oppose COVID-19 vaccines and other pandemic-related safety measures.
Green Pass Pushback
Demonstrators gathered in Rome over the weekend to protest against Italy’s plans to require a coronavirus “Green Pass” for all workers starting Oct. 15.
The Green Pass is a European Union initiative that shows whether someone is vaccinated, has recovered from COVID-19 in the past six months, or has received a negative COVID test in the past 48 hours.
Since August, Italy has required the pass for entry at restaurants and use of long-distance trains, along with nearly every other activity that involves interaction with others or use of a public space. Now, the pass will be required to enter a workplace, which critics argue is particularly harsh.
Individuals who can’t produce a valid Green Pass will be suspended without pay, making it the most extreme of any COVID-19 mandate in the world.
The weekend protests started out peaceful, with people chanting “Liberta,” which means freedom. However, the scene turned violent by Saturday when a group of protesters affiliated with the far-right Forza Nuova party decided to storm the headquarters of the CGIL, Italy’s biggest and oldest labor union.
Protesters then marched towards the Prime Minister’s office, prompting police to respond with anti-riot measures like tear gas, water cannons, and shield charges.
It’s unclear how many protesters were hurt in the ongoing fighting, but dozen of police officers were reportedly hurt in the scuffle. By Sunday evening. at least 12 protesters were arrested, many of who are members of Forza Nuova, including its leader Roberto Fiore. Authorities also indicated in a press conference on Monday that it had identified at least 600 other people who took part in illegal activities during the demonstrations.
Fiore was unapologetic about the rioting, and Forza Nuova said in a statement, “The popular revolution will not stop, with or without us, until the Green Pass is definitively withdrawn. Saturday was a watershed between the old and the new. The people decided to raise the level of the clash.”
Saturday’s events have led many of the country’s largest political parties, including the 5Star Movement and the Democratic Paty, to support a motion calling for Nuova Forza and similar groups to be dismantled in line with a constitutional provision from 1952 that bans fascists parties.
While that motion is still going through the legislative process, prosecutors have already seized the group’s website in line with a 1988 law that bans inciting violence through public communications.
“The events [on Saturday] take us back to the darkest and most dramatic moments of our history and they are an extremely serious and unacceptable attack on democracy,” Valeria Fedeli, a senator with the center-left Democratic Party, said on Monday.
The violence from the weekend may make it seem like a sizeable chunk of Italians are against the vaccine; however, over 70% of all Italians are already vaccinated, making it one of the highest rates in the world.
According to polling from the summer, most Italians think the new rules will help in the long run and prevent another catastrophe like last year when the country ran out of room to bury the dead due to the number of deaths caused by COVID-19.
Romanian Government To Disband After No-Confidence Vote
The vote comes after Prime Minister Florin Cîțu caused a rift with political allies and faced criticism for his response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Florin Cîțu, Alleged “Tyrant”
Romania’s center-right governing body collapsed Tuesday after the legislature passed a no-confidence vote against Prime Minister Florin Cîțu.
The leader’s downfall was facilitated by the normal opposition, the center-left Social Democratic Party, the far-right Alliance for the Unity of Romanians, and the Union to Save Romania. The Union is considered a political wildcard because, until last month, the right-wing party was part of Cîțu’s governing coalition.
The party withdrew from Cîțu’s government after multiple of its members were sacked, including the Justice Minister, prompting the party to describe Cîțu as a “tyrant.”
Other parties in the legislature particularly opposed Cîțu due to his government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic since taking office in December. COVID-19 cases have skyrocketed over the last month and have averages over 11,000 daily new cases since October 6.
Tuesday’s no-confidence vote was a landslide victory, with 281 members voting to replace him and all members of his party abstaining or boycotting the vote. Despite this, even if they had voted in favor of Cîțu, the opposition had more than enough to pass the 230 vote threshold.
Avoiding Another Election
President Klaus Iohannis, a staunch ally of Cîțu, has called on the political parties to hold consultations next week and try to form a new government rather than hold new elections because they last occurred in December.
“Romania must be governed; we are in a pandemic, winter is coming, there is an energy price crisis…and now a political crisis. We need solutions and mature decisions,” the president told reporters.
He also took a jab at the Union to Save Romania, saying that the fall of the government was caused by “cynical politicians, some of whom are disguised as reformists.”
The Union responded in a statement of its own, saying it was “unpleasantly surprised by the fact that President Iohannis condoned the rushed, chaotic, and ill-conceived actions of former Prime Minister Florin Cîțu that forced the [Union] to leave the cabinet.”
Some analysts within Romanian media think that Cîțu’s party may try to form a minority government with the Social Democratic Party, the left-leaning party that initiated this no-confidence vote, with the caveat that Cîțu is replaced as Prime Minister. If that doesn’t occur, Iohannis has the power to simply reappoint Cîțu at the risk of another no-confidence vote.
If Cîțu’s appointment is confirmed within 60 days, then elections will take place. The Social Democratic Party, which is already the largest in the legislature, currently stands to win the most seats. Unlike its rivals, the party is polling positively, leading the group to push for new elections sooner rather than later.