Connect with us

U.S.

The Victims of the Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting

Published

on

  • A gunman opened fire at a garlic festival in Gilroy, California, killing three and injuring at least 12 others. 
  • Police killed the gunman within a minute and are still investigating a motive.
  • The victims have since been identified and include two children.

Festival Shooting 

A shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California left three victims dead on Sunday evening, including two children. 

The festival was winding down when a gunman moved past a nearby creek and cut through a fence, bypassing security at the festival’s entrance. At around 5:40 pm, the suspect began firing at guests. 

At least 12 other attendees were injured in the attack that took place about 30 miles outside of San Jose. Within a minute, police responded and killed the shooter. Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee said Monday that three officers managed to shoot the gunman. 

He added that the incident would have been more deadly had officers not responded so quickly.

The Victims 

The Santa Clara County Medical Examiner’s office identified the victims as 6-year-old Stephen Romero of San Jose, 13-year-old Keyla Salazar of San Jose, and 25-year-old Trevor Irby from Romulus, New York. 

Stephen, who turned 6-years-old just last month, died at St. Louise Regional Hospital hours after he was shot in the back. He had attended the festival with his mother and grandmother. They were also shot in the attack, but survived after medical treatment. 

His uncle, Noe Romero, described Stephen as an outgoing and loving child in an interview with the San Francisco Chronical. The boy’s uncle even nicknamed him “El Romancito,” for his button-down shirts, polished manners, and love of sultry R&B ballads by his favorite artist, The Weeknd, according to the paper. 

“He wouldn’t leave the house unless he had cologne on,” his uncle added. 

Alberto Romero, the boy’s father. told NBC Bay Area, “My son had his whole life to live and he was only 6.”

Stephen Romero

Keyla Salazar would have turned 14-years-old on August 4 and was set to start ninth-grade this fall. She was shot in the chest while trying to flee the scene with family members. 

Her aunt, Katiuska Pimentel, told Mercury News on Monday that her niece was a compassionate and loving young girl.

“She wanted to build her own YouTube channel and her dream was to draw animations for video games and movies,” Pimentel said. “It’s a shock for all of her family. We cant believe it, that it’s happening.”

Keyla Salazar

Trevor Irby was a 2017 graduate from Keuka College in New York who attended the festival with his girlfriend. Irby had recently moved to Santa Cruz with his girlfriend and was working as a medical assistant at a nursing home.

“Trevor was a brother, a son, a grandson, a boyfriend, a best friend and a bright light to all who knew him,” a GoFundMe page set up by his friends reads.

“Trevor was an excellent pillar of the Keuka College & Romulus communities and a kind & positive soul. Trevor will forever live on in the memory of his loved ones.”

Trevor Irby

Hundreds of people attended a vigil at City Hall in Gilroy on Monday to honor the victims. GoFundMe pages have also been created to raise funds for their families and funeral costs. 

Motive

The 19-year-old male responsible for the shooting was indentified as a resident of the town.

FBI Agent in Charge Craig Fair said investigators were working to determine a motive for the attack, are exploring any ideological leanings, and are working to learn whether the attacker was affiliated with any group.

Several news sites have been pointing to social media posts allegedly written by the shooter, which include references to a 1890s racist manifesto popular with neo-Nazis.   

However, officials say that the targets appeared to have been shot at random, but added that they are still in the early stages of their investigation. 

Editor’s Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murders or suspected mass murderers who may have been seeking attention or infamy. Therefore, we will not be linking to other sources, as they may contain these details. Instead, we will be linking to the GoFundMe pages of the victims.

GoFundMe Stephen Romero

GoFundMe Trevor Irby

GoFundMe Keyla Salazar


U.S.

Manhattan City Council Candidate Says He’s “Not Ashamed” After BDSM Video Leaks Online

Published

on

While many applauded the candidate’s response, others suspect the entire ordeal may have been manufactured for publicity.


BDSM Video Leaks

Zack Weiner, a 26-year-old candidate for Manhattan’s City Council, has caught a flood of attention in recent days after responding to a BDSM video of himself that leaked online.

According to the New York Post, which first reported on the leak Saturday, the video was published by an anonymous Twitter account earlier this month.

“My magnificent domme friend played with Upper West Side city council candidate Zack Weiner and I’m the only one who has the footage,” the tweet reportedly read.

The video was flagged to the Post by Weiner’s campaign manager, Joe Gallagher, the news outlet said. The tabloid also claimed it showed Weiner gagged while “subjecting himself to various abuses by a leather-bound woman who pours wax on him and clips his nipples with clothespins.”

The footage was filmed at Parthenon studio in Midtown, which the Post described as known for its high-quality BDSM dungeons, and Weiner actually confirmed the video’s authenticity to the outlet, saying it was filmed at that location in 2019 with a former girlfriend that he met during a Halloween party.

Weiner Says He’s “Not Ashamed”

Weiner took to Twitter on Saturday to address the private video head on.

“Whoops. I didn’t want anyone to see that, but here we are,” he wrote.

“I am not ashamed of the private video circulating of me on Twitter. This was a recreational activity that I did with my friend at the time, for fun. Like many young people, I have grown into a world where some of our most private moments have been documented online.”

“While a few loud voices on Twitter might chastise me for the video, most people see the video for what it is: a distraction. I trust that voters will choose a city council representative based on their policies and their ability to best serve the community,” he continued.

In his comments to the Post, he added, “I am a proud BDSMer. I like BDSM activity.” He also said he had no idea how the footage surfaced, saying “It’s definitely a violation of trust.”

Praise and Suspicions

Many people online have applauded Weiner for refusing to apologize for private consensual acts. One, for example, tweeted, “Yeah – as long as this was between 2 (or more) consenting adults – I don’t care one bit. If this info ALONE would cause you to vote for somebody else, then I am FAR MORE worried about YOUR participation in Government than his!”

In fact, many have said they would vote for him after learning of the video and slammed critics, as well as the tabloid, for “kink-shaming.”

It’s worth noting that the Post’s article described Weiner as someone who “has mostly been a nonentity in the race for the Upper West Side’s 6th District.” It pointed to the fact that he has no endorsements and that his campaign barely raised $10,000 — most of which allegedly came from himself and his campaign manager.

Because of this, along with Gallagher’s contact with the Post, some have speculated that the entire ordeal may have been some kind of stunt manufactured for publicity.

See what others are saying: (New York Post) (Insider) (HITC)

Continue Reading

U.S.

Supreme Court Rejects Third Challenge to Affordable Care Act

Published

on

In the 7-2 decision, the justices argued the Republican-led states that brought the challenge forth failed to show how the law caused injury and thus had no legal standing.


SCOTUS Issues Opinion on Individual Mandate

The Supreme Court on Thursday struck down the third Republican-led challenge to the Affordable Care Act to ever reach the high court.

The issue at hand was the provision of the law, commonly known as Obamacare, that requires people to either purchase health insurance or pay a tax penalty: the so-called individual mandate. 

The individual mandate has been one of the most controversial parts of Obamacare and it has already been before SCOTUS, which upheld the provision in 2012 on the grounds that it amounted to a tax and thus fell under Congress’ taxing power.

However, as part of the sweeping 2017 tax bill, the Republican-held Congress set the penalty for not having health care to $0. As a result, a group of Republican-led states headed by Texas sued, arguing that because their GOP colleagues made the mandate zero dollars, it no longer raised revenues and could not be considered a tax, thus making it unconstitutional.

The states also argued that the individual mandate is such a key part of Obamacare that it could not be separated without getting rid of the entire law.

The Supreme Court, however, rejected that argument in a 7-2 decision, with Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch dissenting.

Majority Opinion Finds No Injury

In the majority decision, Justice Stephen Breyer wrote that the Republican states had no grounds to sue because they could not show how they were harmed by their own colleagues zeroing out the penalty.

“There is no possible government action that is causally connected to the plaintiffs’ injury — the costs of purchasing health insurance,” he wrote, adding that the states “have not demonstrated that an unenforceable mandate will cause their residents to enroll in valuable benefits programs that they would otherwise forgo.”

Breyer also argued that because of this, the court did not need to decide on the broader issue of whether the 2017 tax bill rendered the individual mandate unconstitutional and if that provision could be separated from the ACA.

The highly anticipated decision will officially keep Obamacare as the law of the land, ensuring that the roughly 20 million people enrolled still have health insurance. While there may be other challenges to the law hard-fought by conservatives, this latest ruling sends a key signal about the limits of the Republican efforts to achieve their agenda through the high court, even with the strong conservative majority.

While the court has now struck down challenges to Obamacare three times, Thursday’s decision marked the largest margin of victory of all three challenges to the ACA.

For now, the ACA appears to be fairly insulated from legal challenges, though it will still likely face more. In a tweet following the SCOTUS decision, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) vowed to keep fighting Obamacare, adding that the individual mandate “was unconstitutional when it was enacted and it is still unconstitutional.”

See what others are saying: (Axios) (The Washington Post) (The Associated Press

Continue Reading

U.S.

Utah Student With Down Syndrome Left Out of Cheer Squad’s Yearbook Photo

Published

on

The move marks the second time in three years that Morgyn Arnold has been left out of the school’s yearbook. Two years ago, it failed to include her in the class list.


Two Photos Take, One Without Morgyn Arnold

A Utah school has apologized after a student with Down syndrome at Shoreline Junior High was excluded from her cheerleading squad’s yearbook photo.

The squad took two official team portraits this year. The first included 14-year-old Morgyn Arnold, who had been working as the team manager but attended practices and cheered alongside her other teammates at every home game. The second imsgr did not include her and ended up being the photo the school used across social media and in its yearbook.

Arnold was heartbroken by the decision and her family believed it was made because of her disability.

In social media posts about the move, Arnold’s sister, Jordyn Poll, noted that Arnold “spent hours learning dances, showing up to games, and cheering on her school and friends but was left out.”

“I hope that no one ever has to experience the heartbreak that comes when the person they love comes home from school devastated and shows them that they’re not in the picture with their team,” she continued.

According to The Salt Lake Tribune, Poll also said this marked the second time in three years that her sister has been left out of the yearbook. Two years ago, the school failed to include her in the class list.

School Apologizes After Backlash

After Poll’s public call out picked up attention, the school said it was “deeply saddened by the mistake.”

Apologies have been made to the family, and we sincerely apologize to all others impacted by this error,” it added. “We are continuing to look at what has occurred, and to improve our practice.”

The district issued a similar statement, claiming it was looking into why this occurred to make sure it doesn’t happen again. 

But Poll said this isn’t the same response her family received when they initially contacted school administrators. Instead, Poll told the Tribune that an employee at the school “blatantly said they didn’t know what we were expecting of them and there was nothing they could do.”

The school has since contacted them again “to make the situation right.”

Meanwhile, Poll stressed that her sister’s teammates had nothing to do with the decision, defending the girls as amazing friends who have done everything to make Arnold feel included.

In fact, they too were disappointed to see that she was not featured in the image or even named as a member of the team in the yearbook.

Arnold’s family decided to speak up about the issue so that this school and others can improve the ways they interact with and include students with disabilities. Different forms of exclusion happen at schools across the country, and this story has prompted other parents of kids with disabilities to share similar experiences.

A staff attorney at the Disability Law Center of Utah told the Tribune that it receives about 4,000 complaints each year. Some complaints stemmed from students with disabilities being separated into other classrooms without their peers. Others include name-calling or not allowing students on a team or in a club.

Thankfully, Arnold has not let this situation bring her down. According to her family, she has already forgiven everyone involved and plans to continue cheering alongside her friends.

See what others are saying: (The New York Times) (The Salt Lake Tribune) (NBC News)

Continue Reading