- Deji posted a video accusing his older brother KSI of subjecting him to physical and emotional abuse throughout their YouTube careers.
- KSI has lost over 60,000 subscribers since the video was shared, while Deji has gained over 115,000.
- KSI briefly responded on Twitter saying he has seen the video and will reply soon.
Allegations of Physical Abuse
YouTuber Deji posted a 46-minute-long video on Saturday alleging physical and mental mistreatment by his brother and fellow YouTuber KSI.
Deji and KSI, who is also known as JJ, have been active on YouTube since 2012. In his video, Deji claims that since then, he has been subject to acts of abuse that were used on camera for laughs.
Deji says that all the actions started small, first citing a prank called “Slap Deji” where KSI would slap Deji across the face. Deji claims that at the time, he thought all of this was funny, as everyone in the comments saw it as just a joke.
“But through the progression of the videos that we did, on my brother’s second channel, it slowly progressively started to get more violent,” he said. “From throwing controllers to throwing bottles, belts, even chairs.”
He also included clips of a game the two played called “FIFA Slavery.” In this game, any time someone scored in FIFA, they got to hit the other person with a belt. The clips show Deji getting hit repeatedly.
In addition to this physical mistreatment, Deji says there was mental mistreatment as well. He starts off by citing examples of KSI interfering with his interactions with girls.
Deji claims that his brother once slept with a girl he knew Deji was interested in. He also said that KSI would constantly insert himself in situations with girls and make an effort to embarrass Deji when he was speaking to them.
Tensions Surrounding Diss Track Drama
He then goes on to lay out what seemed to be the bulk of the mental mistreatment, which was allegedly all started by a series of videos and diss tracks that began in November 2018.
In a “Family Fortunes” video, KSI asks the players to name a dead YouTube channel. One of KSI’s friends, Randolph, responded “Deji.”
This upset Deji, prompting him to make a video where he mocks Randolph.
“You are the Sidemen’s, as well as JJ’s bitch,” he says in the video. “You Are JJ’s cameraman. He pays your salary. I mean, you spend more time with JJ than you do your own wife.”
Deji says that he regrets saying this now, but claims it prompted Randolph to make a diss track. In the track, Randolph states that he paid for Deji’s taxis and calls him the “poorest rich man that I know.”
“Deji, tell me are you braindead,” Randolph says on the track. “Because you still live with your parents.”
KSI then made a video reacting to the diss tracks where he laughs and says “that’s true” to many of the claims Randolph makes. Deji says he was upset by his brother siding with his friends instead of him.
Deji then says he called his brother on the phone to express this, to which KSI said it was just “a bit of banter.” KSI later texted him and told him it was actually helping his channel.
Deji then did a video where he said KSI paid for his friend’s wedding. He said that looking back, he should not have spoken about the finances behind the wedding. He claimed he was speaking out of anger.
“I was angry,” he said. “Considering my brother…I just felt alone. I felt alone and angry, and I thought my brother clearly doesn’t support me, so why do I care?”
After this, Randolph posted another diss track that included what Deji says was private footage of KSI and Deji. Deji also said that KSI saw the video before the video was posted. Deji claims his brother did nothing to stop the video from being uploaded.
“This sparring footage was for his eyes and my eyes just so I could get better,” Deji said. “And then for me to see it in his diss track, you can understand how I was feeling.”
He also said that the diss track included false accusations against him, including getting a woman pregnant. He said that this was a lie.
This ultimately led to Deji making a diss track about his brother called “Unforgivable.” Deji says he got permission from KSI before he posted it.
The situation around this diss track started to escalate after an incident between the two on Christmas of 2018.
KSI went to Deji’s house to talk, but things got heated.
“As I locked myself in my office, he threatened to smash the door, saying he would smash the door down,” Deji claimed. “Obviously my parents stopping him. For the safety of my parents, and due to his behavior, I asked if he could leave my house, or I would call the police.”
According to Deji, KSI ended up recording this incident and posted it on Twitter. Deji says his post made him look like the bad guy because no one had the context of what was really happening. The tweets have since been removed, but KSI has a larger following that Deji, which Deji claims worked against him.
In several videos, KSI also spoke negatively of Deji and as a result, Deji claims people turned on him and he lost subscribers. He says this brought him to a “dark place.”
“I honestly thought what was the purpose,” Deji said. “What was the purpose of me living?”
Deji says he then asked KSI to stop talking about him in videos. KSI responded by asking for him to take the “Unforgivable” diss track down. Deji ended up putting the diss track on private on January 6. In addition to this, KSI texted Deji to say that he would not mention him in any more videos.
However, Deji showed videos of KSI still making fun of him by laughing at memes like this.
According to the video, their mother even got involved, and asked KSI if Deji could re-upload the diss track, which he ended up putting back on the channel.
Towards the end of his video, Deji says that KSI would constantly make jokes about trying to get his fans to ask him to delete his channel, as well as making other cracks about his YouTube presence.
He closed the video by saying he posted it just to get his side of the story out, but does not want everyone to harbor ill-will towards KSI.
“This is me finally standing up for myself and not letting my brother bully me anymore,” he said.
“I don’t want any negativity towards my brother from what you’ve heard in this video please.”
KSI Responds to Allegations
Since this video was posted, KSI has been losing subscribers, while Deji has been gaining them. According to Social Blade, Deji is up over 115,000 subscribers. Many have also commented on Deji’s video with support, some even apologizing for not seeing his side of the story sooner.
KSI has not made a video in response yet, but based on a series of tweets he suggested one may be coming soon.
He initially responded on Sunday with a meme and posted a string of tweets about the video and the subsequent subscriber loss.
He also posted screenshots of a text of Deji telling him he loves him, as well as potential plans to do a Reddit video.
On Tuesday morning, he tweeted several times alluding to an upcoming video. In a now-deleted tweet, he asked for anyone with a story about Deji to DM him.
See what others are saying: (Dexerto) (We the Unicorns) (Newsweek)
TikTok and Twitter Are Now Deleting Videos That Expose Closeted Olympians on Grindr
On top of outing people who may not be ready to have their sexuality revealed to the world, these videos could have endangered LGBTQ+ athletes from countries where homosexuality is illegal.
Closeted Olympians Being Doxxed
Openly LGBTQ+ Olympians are currently more visible than they have ever been before, but unfortunately, so are closeted ones.
That’s because some people have been using the LGBTQ+ dating app Grindr to try and find Olympians. They’ve been doing so by using the app’s “Explore” feature, which allows people to search and see users in specific locations (ie. Olympic Village).
But some aren’t content with just discovering which athletes belong to the LGBTQ+ community. They’re also sharing that information on platforms like TikTok and Twitter.
“I used Grindr’s explore feature to find myself [an] Olympian boyfriend,” one TikTok user said in a post that had been viewed 140,000 times, according to Insider.
That video reportedly went on to show the poster scrolling through Grindr to expose over 30 users’ full faces.
As many have argued, not only does this potentially out already-stressed Olympians who may not yet be comfortable sharing their sexuality, it also could put some users at serious risk if they live in countries where being LGBTQ+ is illegal.
In fact, the video cited by Insider seemingly did just that, as it reportedly shows the face of a user who appears to be from a country “known for its anti-LGBTQ policies.”
Grindr Responds, TikTok and Twitter Take Action
In response, Grindr said the posts violate its rules against “publicly displaying, publishing, or otherwise distributing any content or information” from the app. It then asked the posters to remove the content.
Ultimately, it was TikTok and Twitter themselves that largely took action, with the two deleting at least 14 posts scattered across their platforms.
Twitter says it’s taking steps to remove the posts flagged by Insider showing Grindr’s explore page at the Olympic Village. TikTok has yet to give an on the record response. pic.twitter.com/r11pNL6Lwu— Benjamin Goggin (@BenjaminGoggin) July 28, 2021
A Highly-Visible LGBTQ+ Presence at the Games
According to Outsports, at least 172 of around 11,000 Olympians are openly LGBTQ+. While that number is still well below the statistical average, it’s triple the number of LGBTQ+ athletes that attended Rio’s 2016 Games.
In fact, if they were their own country, openly LGBTQ+ athletes would reportedly rank 11th in medals, according to an Outsports report published Tuesday.
Among those winners is British diver Tom Daley, who secured his first gold medal on Monday and used his platform to send a hopeful message to LGBTQ+ youth by telling them, “You are not alone.”
After winning a silver medal on Wednesday, U.S. swimmer Erica Sullivan talked about her experience as both a member of the LGBTQ+ community and a person of color.
Still, the Olympics has faced criticism for its exclusion of intersex individuals, particularly those like South African middle-distance runner Caster Semenya, who won gold medals in both 2012 and 2016. Rules implemented in 2019 now prevent Semenya from competing as a woman without the use of medication to suppress her testosterone levels.
Jake Paul Launches Anti-Bullying Charity
The charity, called Boxing Bullies, aims to use the sport to give kids confidence and courage.
Jake Paul Launches Boxing Bullies Foundation
YouTuber Jake Paul — best known as the platform’s boxer, wreckless partier, and general troublemaker — has seemingly launched a non-profit to combat bullying.
The charity is called Boxing Bullies. According to a mission statement posted on Instagram, it aims to “instill self confidence, leadership, and courage within the youth through the sport of boxing while using our platform, voice, and social media to fight back against bullying.”
If the notion of a Paul-founded anti-bullying charity called “Boxing Bullies” was not already begging to be compared to former First Lady Melania Trump’s “Best Best” initiative, maybe the group’s “Boxing Bullies Commandments” will help connect the dots. Those commandments use an acronym for the word “BOX” to spell out the charity’s golden rules.
“Be kind to everyone; Only defend, never initiate; X-out bullying.”
Paul Hopes To “Inspire” Kids To Stand Up For Themselves
Paul first said he was launching Boxing Bullies during a July 13 interview following a press conference for his upcoming fight against Tyron Woodley.
“I know who I am at the end of the day, which is a good person,” he told reporters. “I’m trying to change this sport, bring more eyeballs. I’m trying to support other fighters, increase fighter pay. I’m starting my charity, I’m launching that in 12 days here called Boxing Bullies and we’re helping to fight against cyberbullying.”
It has not been quite 12 days since the interview, so it’s likely that more information about the organization will be coming soon. Currently, the group has been the most active on Instagram, where it boasts a following of just around 1,200 followers. It has posted once to Twitter, where it has 32 followers; and has a TikTok account that has yet to publish any content. It also has a website, though there is not too much on it as of yet.
On its Instagram, one post introducing Paul as the founder claims the rowdy YouTuber started this charity because he has been on the receiving end of bullying.
“Having been a victim of bullying himself, Jake experienced firsthand the impact it has on a person’s life,” the post says. “Jake believes that this is a prevailing issue in society that isn’t talked about enough. Boxing gave Jake the confidence to not care about what others think and he wants to share the sport and the welfare it‘s had on him with as many kids as possible.”
It adds that he hopes his group can“inspire the next generation of kids to be leaders, be athletes, and to fight back against bullying.”
Paul Previously Accused of Being a Bully
While fighting against bullying is a noble cause, it is an ironic project for Paul to start, as he has faced no shortage of bullying accusations. While Paul previously sang about “stopping kids from getting bullied” in the lunchroom, some have alleged he himself was actually a classic high school bully who threw kids’ backpacks into garbage cans.
This behavior allegedly continued into his adulthood, as a New York Times report from earlier this year claimed he ran his Team 10 house with a culture of toxicity and bullying. Among other things, sources said he involved others in violent pranks, pressured people into doing dangerous stunts, and destroyed peoples’ personal property to make content.
See what others are saying: (Dexerto)
Director Defends Recreating Anthony Bourdain’s Voice With AI in New Documentary
The film’s director claims he received permission from Bourdain’s estate and literary agent, but on Thursday, Bourdain’s widow publicly denied ever giving that permission.
Bourdain’s Voice Recreated
“You are successful, and I am successful, and I’m wondering: Are you happy?” Anthony Bourdain says in a voiceover featured in “Roadrunnner,” a newly released documentary about the late chef — except Bourdain never actually said those words aloud.
Instead, it’s one of three lines in the film, which features frequent voiceovers from Bourdain, that were created through the use of artificial intelligence technology.
That said, the words are Bourdain’s own. In fact, they come from an email Bourdain reportedly wrote to a friend prior to his 2018 suicide. Nonetheless, many have now questioned whether recreating Bourdain’s voice was ethical, especially since documentaries are meant to reflect reality.
Director Defends Use of AI Voice
The film’s director, Academy Award winner Morgan Neville, has defended his use of the synthetic voice, telling Variety that he received permission from Bourdain’s estate and literary agent before inserting the lines into the film.
“There were a few sentences that Tony wrote that he never spoke aloud,” Neville said. “It was a modern storytelling technique that I used in a few places where I thought it was important to make Tony’s words come alive.”
Bourdain’s widow — Ottavia Bourdain, who is the executor of his estate — later denied Neville’s claim on Twitter, saying, “I certainly was NOT the one who said Tony would have been cool with that.”
In another interview with GQ, Neville described the process, saying the film’s creators “fed more than ten hours of Tony’s voice into an AI model.”
“The bigger the quantity, the better the result,” he added. “We worked with four companies before settling on the best.”
“If you watch the film,” Neville told The New Yorker, “you probably don’t know what the other lines are that were spoken by the AI, and you’re not going to know. We can have a documentary-ethics panel about it later.”
The Ethics Debate Isn’t Being Tabled
But many want to have that discussion now.
Boston-based film critic Sean Burns, who gave the film a rare negative review, later criticized it again for its unannounced use of AI, saying he wasn’t aware that Bourdain’s voice had been recreated until after he watched the documentary.
Meanwhile, The New Yorker’s Helen Rosner wrote that the “seamlessness of the effect is eerie.”
“If it had been a human voice double I think the reaction would be “huh, ok,” but there’s something truly unsettling about the idea of it coming from a computer,” Rosner later tweeted.
Online, many others have criticized the film’s use of AI, with some labeling it as a “deepfake.”
Others have offered more mixed criticism, saying that while the documentary highlights the need for posthumous AI use to be disclosed, it should not be ruled out altogether.
“In a world where the living could consent to using AI to reproduce their voices posthumously, and where people were made aware that such a technology was being used, up front and in advance, one could envision that this kind of application might serve useful documentary purposes,” David Leslie, ethics lead at the Alan Turing Institute, told the BBC.
Celebrities Recreated After Death
The posthumous use of celebrity likeness in media is not a new debate. In 2012, a hologram of Tupac took the stage 15 years after his death. In 2014, the Billboard Music Awards brought a hologram of Michael Jackson onstage five years after his death. Meanwhile, the Star Wars franchise digitally recreated actor Peter Cushing in 2016’s “Rogue One,” and unused footage of actress Carrie Fisher was later translated into “The Rise of Skywalker,” though a digital version of Fisher was never used.
In recent years, it has become almost standard for filmmakers to say that they will not create digital versions of characters whose actors die unexpectedly. For example, several months after Chadwick Boseman’s death last year, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” executive producer Victoria Alonso confirmed Boseman would not be digitally recreated for his iconic role as King T’Challa.