Connect with us

U.S.

Bill Cosby Refutes Defamation Suit Settlement

Published

on

  • Seven women suing Bill Cosby reached a settlement in their defamation case against him.
  • The details have not been disclosed, but Cosby and his team say the settlement was made by his insurance company, without his knowledge or consent.
  • He still maintains his innocence and plans to pursue his countersuit against the women.

Settlement Reached

A settlement has been reached in a defamation case against Bill Cosby, but Cosby and his team say the agreement was made without his knowledge.

The original lawsuit was filed in 2014, by seven women who said they were defamed by Cosby when he publically denied their allegations of sexual misconduct. The women are Tamara Green, Therese Serignese, Linda Traitz, Louisa Moritz, Barbara Bowman, Joan Tarshis, and Angela Leslie.

Court documents filed on Friday in the western division of the U.S. District Court of Massachusetts showed that the lawsuit had been settled. Joseph Cammarata, who represents the seven women, did not release details about the agreement, but he did tell the Associated Press that each of his clients “is satisfied with the settlement.”

The deal still awaits a judge’s approval.

Cosby’s Team Responds

Cosby’s spokesperson Andrew Wyatt confirmed that a settlement was reached, but says that the insurance company, AIG, reached the settlement without Cosby’s knowledge or consent.

“Mr. Cosby did not settle any cases with anyone,” Wyatt said in a statement. “He is not paying anything to anyone…Mr. Cosby vehemently denies the allegations brought against him in these defamation suits and he maintains his innocence.”

Cosby also released a statement saying, “AIG showed that they’re a part of the corruption against me, by paying off these distractors, without my knowledge, without my permission and without my consent.”

“AIG’s egregious behavior will be frowned upon by their many customers,” he continued. “They have proven that they do not have the best interest of their clients in mind, which will cause them to lose an overwhelming amount of business.”

The comedian responded to the seven women with a countersuit in 2015, claiming defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and loss of business. In his recent statement, he said he would continue to pursue that claim.

“I, [Bill Cosby], will never settle any defamation claim, I will continue to pursue my counterclaims, and I will not relinquish AIG from its responsibility in defending my defamation claims. That’s why I paid my premiums on time and I never let my policy lapse. AIG’s settlement of these claims in Massachusetts makes them look corrupt and it exposes my innocence.”

AIG’s Response

The insurance company is involved in this case because it was obligated to pay for legal services in defamation cases for Cosby under the provisions of his homeowner’s policy.  

A.I.G. tried to deny him coverage, arguing in court that it was not compelled to cover claims relating to sexual misconduct. However, judges in Massachusetts and California ultimately sided with Cosby.

An AIG spokesperson said the company could not comment on a specific case but said that they do not necessarily need a client’s permission to settle a case. “Certain insurance policies provide insurers with the authority to resolve claims when the insured has been informed.”

More Legal Battles

The settlement ends one of many legal battles involving Cosby. The comedian, who is now 81-years old, has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 60 women over the span of decades.

In September 2018, Cosby was found guilty of thee counts of aggravated indecent assault for drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand in 2004.

He is currently serving a three to 10-year prison sentence and will also be required to register as a sexual predator for the rest of his life. However, he is appealing his conviction and maintains his innocence in all allegations of sexual assault.

His legal battles won’t end here. Chloe Goins, a model who says Cosby drugged and assaulted her at the Playboy Mansion in 2008, has filed a sexual battery complaint against him. Cosby also faces a possible trial related to assault claims made by a woman named Judy Huth, who says he sexually assaulted her when he was a minor.

On top of that, he faces another defamation lawsuit filed by former model Janice Dickinson. Dickinson appeared at Cosby’s trial last April, where she claimed that he drugged and sexually assaulted her at a Nevada hotel in 1982.

See what others are saying: (Deadline) (The Wrap) (The Washington Post)

U.S.

Woman Who Live-Streamed Her Sister’s Death Arrested Again, Weeks After Early Prison Release

Published

on

  • Obdulia Sanchez made national headlines in 2017 when she live-streamed a drunken car crash that resulted in the graphic death of her 14-year-old sister.
  • She was sentenced to six years in prison but was released late last month after serving a little over two years.
  • But just weeks after her release, Sanchez was arrested again after a short police chase and car crash.

Obdulia Sanchez Arrested Again 

The California woman who served time in prison for killing her sister in a drunken car crash on Instagram live was arrested again, just weeks after her early release. 

Obdulia Sanchez, now 20-years-old, was arrested in Stockton on Thursday after a short police pursuit. Local authorities said she refused to stop when officers attempted to pull her over at around 1:30 am. 

Sanchez eventually crashed her vehicle near a highway on-ramp where another male passenger in the car was able to run out. The male suspect managed to escape police, but Sanchez was arrested. She now faces traffic and weapons charges. 

Authorities said she was on parole and driving on a revoked license. Officers also say they found a loaded gun in the car. 

Stockton Police Department

Recent Release and Previous Crimes 

Sanchez was released on parole late last month after she served more than two years in prison for a previous crash.

In July 2017, Sanchez was drunk driving and live streaming on Instagram when she crashed her car, killing her 14-year-old sister Jacqueline Sanchez Estrada. and injuring another passenger. 

The graphic incident made national headlines. On the stream, Sanchez’s hands could be seen leaving the wheel before she swerved and then overcorrected. Her sister, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was thrown from the vehicle.

“I fucking killed my sister, okay? I know I’m going to jail for life, all right?” Sanchez can be heard saying to her sister, who appeared to be already dead. “Ima hold it down. I love you, rest in peace, sweetie.”

Later reports explained that Sanchez had tested positive for alcohol and cocaine. Sanchez was heavily criticized online for continuing to stream after the crash, showing her sister’s dead body. 

In a public letter written from behind bars, she wrote, “I made that video because I knew I had more than 5,000 followers. It was the only way my sister would get a decent burial. I would never expose my sister like that. I anticipated the public donating money because my family isn’t rich.”

Sanchez was ultimately convicted of gross vehicular manslaughter, DUI and child endangerment. She was sentenced to six years and four months in prison with the possibility of parole after three years.

The state corrections office said Sanchez was approved for early release after earning credit for good behavior, for attending rehabilitation programs, and for time served in jail before she was sentenced. 

See what others are saying: (Sacramento Bee) (NBC News) (The Washington Post) (The Los Angeles Times

Continue Reading

U.S.

Chicago Teachers Strike Over Pay, Class Sizes, and More

Published

on

  • Around 25,000 teachers and educational staff members in Chicago began striking Thursday, leaving 300,000 kids out of class.
  • The Chicago Teachers Union is demanding higher pay, smaller class sizes, as well as more nurses, social workers, counselors, and librarians. 
  • The city’s mayor and Chicago Public Schools have announced plans that include these demands, but the Union says the contract language does not hold CPS accountable enough for these terms.
  • While the strike continues, schools will be open even though classes are canceled. Principals and associate principals will still on campuses, and breakfast and lunch will sill be served.

Chicago Public School’s Plan

Around 25,000 teachers and educational employees in Chicago began striking Thursday morning, demanding higher pay, smaller class sizes, and more efficient staffing.

The strike was announced Wednesday night when Chicago Public Schools and the Chicago Teachers’ Union failed to reach a deal. Chicago is home to the third-largest school district in the country, which means close to 300,000 students have been left without classes to attend.

CPS’s announced a plan that would, among other things, raise teachers’ salaries by 16% over the course of five years. According to Fox Business, the starting salary for Chicago teachers is already the highest in the state of Illinois, coming close to $53,000 a year. By the end of this five-year time period, that salary would increase to $72,000. CPS Says that the average salary would be close to $100,000.

Their plan also included adding a nurse to every school by 2024 and doubling the number of social workers. 

What the Union Wants

CTU was not satisfied with the offer. First, they thought that CPS’s numbers were wrong and that the average salary would only get to $85,000. Raises were also not the only issue at stake for them. 

CTU is asking for a hard cap on class sizes and for teachers to receive a stipend if that cap is ever exceeded. They want support for hiring social workers, counselors, nurses and other positions at recommended ratios, as well as a librarian and restorative justice coordinator in every school.

Another priority for them is to make sure these positions, social workers in particular, have an appropriate workload. Some schools have counselors that only come in a couple of days a week but have around 100 cases to work on. So, when they are unavailable, teachers find that they end up acting as counselors themselves. 

While CPS’s plan did include increases for nurses and social workers, the CTU says it is not enough. They say that CPS is not putting the exact terms in the contract language allowing them to not be held explicitly accountable for these terms. Even when CPS added more to their plan in regards to these demands earlier this month, CTU still criticized the contract language. 

Mayor Lightfoot’s Role

On Thursday morning, Chicago Mayor, Lori Lightfoot held a press conference regarding the strike. She maintained that the union was being offered a good package and that she hoped for a deal to be reached.

We don’t have unlimited resources, but having said that, we put very generous offers on the table both for teachers and support personnel,” she said. “And I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to bring them back to the table and resolve all the open issues.” 

Lightfoot is new to the role. She took office in May, making this one of the first hurdles she has had to face as mayor. 

The CTU is accusing her of not fulfilling campaign promises As far as staffing, they claim she fully supported hiring full-time nurses, social workers, and librarians, but that she has rejected contract language that would hold CPS accountable for this. 

The Union also claimed that she supported additional counselors. Now, however, she and CPS “want to issue tentative assignments for next year by June 15 instead of May 15, creating more uncertainty for educators.”

What Is Being Said at the Strike

Frustrations with Lightfoot were made clear during the strike, with reports saying participants chanted things like “Lightfoot Lightfoot, get on the right foot.” 

A Chicago Sun-Times reporter spoke to a teacher who mentioned Lightfoot. He said he was not looking forward to striking but added, “We’re teachers. Sometimes we’ve got to teach the mayor.”

CTU’s President, Jesse Sharkey, attended a strike outside of an elementary school and defended their demands.

“Our demands are significant, and we have real demands, but that’s because the needs are significant,” he said according to the Chicago Sun-Times.  We ask for a lot because we give a lot. All of our schools here deal with real traumas, and we need support.”

Options for Students

Because of the strike, Chicago has to find something to do for the hundreds of thousands of students who do not have classes to attend. Lightfoot said that while classes are off, the schools will be open during their normal hours. Principals and Associate Principals will be on hand, and breakfast and lunch will still be served. 

Other camps and the YMCA are also offering programs, though unlike the schools, they will not be free. 

But not all students are taking the day off. Some are supporting their teachers and attending the strike. The Chicago Sun-Times spoke to Senior Jude Greneir who went to hand out snacks and beverages.

“My teachers are striking so everyone has equal resources,” she told them. “I hope the city understands. My school is very lucky, but every school needs a nurse and proper resources for their children.”

Another senior, Anthony Jordan, joined his teachers in a picket line.

“I want to support my teachers because they taught me everything I know,” he told the Chicago Tribune. “Our class sizes are too large. We really do need more nurses. It’s worth being out here because it’s for a good cause. It will help us all in the end.”

Right now, it is unclear how long the strike will last. Lightfoot said a deal could be struck as early as today, but members of CTU do not anticipate that soon of an end. Schools will remain closed for class until further notice. 

See what others are saying: (Chicago Tribune) (Chicago Sun-Times) (Fox Business)

Continue Reading

U.S.

The Forgotten Tribes: Truth About Federally Unrecognized Tribes in The United States…

Published

on


California has the most federally non-recognized tribes in the U.S. with over 50 throughout the state. If you’re not familiar with how American Indian tribes function, they’re classified as sovereign nations by the federal government, meaning they have certain rights as a group/nation. But when a tribe is not considered a sovereign nation by the federal government, then they are labeled as federally non-recognized.

Lack of federal recognition for a tribe can have a ton of repercussions for its citizens. One of the most noteworthy is that they are not legally considered American Indians by the federal government, regardless of ancestry, so members of these tribes can’t apply for American Indian scholarships because they’re only intended for federally recognized tribes.

There are also many other struggles federally non-recognized tribes face like not having financial resources to preserve their culture and lacking protection to keep their children in their tribal community under the Indian Child Welfare Act. Now, you’re probably asking yourself “why specifically does California have so many federally non-recognized tribes?”

Well, in this Rogue Rocket mini-documentary, we’ll look at how California’s history played part in it and deep-dive into the challenges tribes lacking federal recognition face. But we’ll be understanding this complex issue through the lens of one non-federally recognized tribe in San Fernando, California called the Fernandeño Tataviam Band of Mission Indians.

Continue Reading