Heroes Emerge From Tragedy in New Zealand, Ardern Visits Christchurch
A terrorist attack claimed 50 lives at two New Zealand mosques and left dozens of others injured. One woman helped victims during the attack and one man tried to stop the gunman. In the days since, the community has rallied together to show support for the victims, survivors, and their families. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern […]
- A terrorist attack claimed 50 lives at two New Zealand mosques and left dozens of others injured.
- One woman helped victims during the attack and one man tried to stop the gunman.
- In the days since, the community has rallied together to show support for the victims, survivors, and their families.
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern visited the affected community and plans to tighten the country’s gun control laws.
Woman Treats Wounds in Her Car
After 50 people were killed and 50 others were injured in attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, the community is rallying together and thanking heroes who helped during the tragedy.
The Linwood Islamic Center and Al Noor Mosque were the targets of shootings on Friday. It is the worst shooting mass shooting in the country’s history.
One woman, Jill Keats, was driving when the shooting happened. Two bullets barely missed her car, and she stopped driving. When she saw that someone near her had been shot, she got out of her car to help him.
“The poor bugger lying on the verge had been shot in the back,” Keats told BBC. “And we opened my passenger’s door, my driver’s door, and opened up the back as well to give us some protection. And he had a first aid kit, and he crouched and ran all the way back to get it.”
The victim then lifted his shirt and dressed the wound, while she applied pressure. Another witness ended up helping the two.
“And a nice Muslim guy came and gave me some help as well,” Keats added. “Because you have to put a lot of pressure on, and my poor old hands were shaking hard. I was scared wouldn’t be able to do a good job.”
Man Fights Back
Another man who was inside one of the mosques attacked is being hailed as a hero for fighting back against the gunman.
When Abdul Aziz realized someone with a gun was approaching, he grabbed a credit card machine to use as a weapon. When the gunman went to grab more ammunition from his car, Aziz chucked the machine at him.
Aziz also picked up a gun the shooter had dropped. When he tried to shoot it, it was empty, so he threw it at the car window.
“I just got that gun and throw it at the window like an arrow,” Aziz said. “And I blast his window. And he probably thought I shot him or something.”
“He just drove off,” he added.
Community Comes Together
Many people in New Zealand are also honoring the victims and supporting their families, and the survivors. The Royal Botanical Garden, which is about the halfway point between the Linwood and Al Noor, is filled with flowers and cards.
On Sunday, over 12,000 people attended a vigil in Wellington, and more vigils are being planned throughout New Zealand. Others are helping out by donating food to Hagley College, which is being used as a community center for families impacted by the shooting.
Prime Minister Ardern Reaches Out
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern condemned the views behind the attack in a Friday press conference.
“It is clear that this can only be described as a terrorist attack,” Arden said.
“These are people who I would describe as having extremist views. Views that have no place in New Zealand, and in fact, have no place in the world.”
Over the weekend, Ardern went to Christchurch to visit the victims, survivors, and their family members. She also said that funeral costs for the fifty people who lost their lives would be covered, regardless of their immigration status.
Gun control reform is also a priority for Ardern, who said that there will be changes to New Zealand’s gun laws within the next ten days. While it is not yet known what specifically will change, the cabinet has agreed to tighten laws.
How to Help
The New Zealand Council of Victim Support Groups made a crowdfunding page at Give a Little. There is also a
Editors Note: At Rogue Rocket, we make it a point to not include the names and pictures of mass murders or suspected mass murderers who may have been seeking attention or infamy.
95-Year-Old Woman Dies After Police Tases Her in Nursing Home
The officer involved was suspended with pay and charged with assault.
A 95-year-old Australian woman whom police tasered in a nursing home last week has reportedly died from her injuries.
Clare Nowland, who had dementia and required a walking frame to stand up and move, was living at the Yallambee Lodge in Cooma in southeastern Australia.
At about 4:15 a.m. on May 17, police and paramedics responded to a report of a woman standing outside her room with a steak knife.
They encountered Nowland, then reportedly tried to negotiate with her for several minutes, but she didn’t drop the knife.
The five-foot-two, 95-pound woman walked toward the two officers “at a slow pace,” police said at a news conference, so one of them tasered her.
She fell to the floor and reportedly suffered a fractured skull and a severe brain bleed, causing her to be hospitalized in critical condition.
Nowland passed away in a hospital surrounded by her family, the New South Wales police confirmed in a statement today.
After a week-long investigation, the police force also said that the senior constable involved would appear in court next week to face charges of recklessly causing grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and common assault.
NSW police procedure states that tasers should not be used against elderly or disabled people absent exceptional circumstances.
Following the incident, community members, activists, and disability rights advocates expressed bewilderment and anger at what they called an unnecessary use of force, and some are now questioning why law enforcement took so long to prosecute the officer involved.
See what others are saying: (Reuters) (The New York Times) (CNN)
U.K. Police Face Backlash After Arresting Anti-Monarchy Protesters
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said that some of the arrests “raise questions” and “investigations are ongoing.”
The Public Order Act
A controversial protest crackdown law in the U.K. is facing criticism after dozens of anti-monarchy protesters were arrested during the coronation ceremony in London over the weekend.
The law, dubbed the “Public Order Act” was passed roughly a week ahead of the coronation for King Charles III. It gives police more power to restrict protesters and limits the tactics protesters can use in public spaces. It was condemned by human rights groups upon its passing, and is facing a new round of heat after 52 people were arrested over coronation protests on Saturday.
In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said protesters were arrested for public order offenses, breach of the peace and conspiracy to cause a public nuisance. The group said it gave advance warning that its “tolerance for any disruption, whether through protest or otherwise, will be low and that we would deal robustly with anyone intent on undermining the celebration.”
It is currently unclear how many of those arrested were detained specifically for violating the Public Order Act, however, some of those arrested believe the new law was used against them.
“Make no mistake. There is no longer a right to peaceful protest in the UK,” Graham Smith, the CEO of anti-monarchy group Republic tweeted after getting arrested. “I have been told many times the monarch is there to defend our freedoms. Now our freedoms are under attack in his name.”
An Attempt to “Diminish” Protests
During a BBC Radio interview, Smith also said he believes the dozens of arrests were premeditated.
“There was nothing that we did do that could possibly justify even being detained and arrested and held,” Smith claimed.
“The whole thing was a deliberate attempt to disrupt and diminish our protest.”
Yasmine Ahmed, the U.K. Director of Human Rights Watch, also tweeted that the arrests were “disgraceful.”
“These are scenes you’d expect to see in Russia not the UK,” she wrote.
When asked about the controversy, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told reporters officers should do “what they think is best” in an apparent show of support for the Metropolitan Police.
For his part, London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he is looking into the matter.
“Some of the arrests made by police as part of the Coronation event raise questions and whilst investigations are ongoing, I’ve sought urgent clarity from Met leaders on the action taken,” Khan tweeted.
See what others are saying: (The Guardian) (CNN) (The Washington Post)
Foreign Nationals Make Mad Dash out of Sudan as Conflict Rages
The conflict’s death toll has surpassed 420, with nearly 4,000 people wounded.
As the 10-day-long power struggle between rival generals tore Sudan apart, foreign governments with citizens in the country scrambled to evacuate them over the weekend.
On Sunday, U.S. special forces landed in the capital Khartoum and carried out nearly 100 American diplomats along with their families and some foreign nationals on helicopters.
An estimated 16,000 Americans, however, remain in the country and U.S. officials said in a statement that a broader evacuation mission would be too dangerous.
Christopher Maier, the assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity warfare, said in a statement that the Pentagon may assist U.S. citizens find safe routes out of Sudan.
“[The Defense Department] is at present considering actions that may include use of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capabilities to be able to observe routes and detect threats,” he said.
Germany and France also reportedly pulled around 700 people out of the country.
More countries followed with similar efforts, including the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Canada, China, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, and Indonesia.
Yesterday, a convoy carrying some 700 United Nations, NGO, and embassy staff drove to Port Sudan, a popular extraction point now that the airport in Khartoum has closed due to fighting.
Reports of gunmen prowling the capital streets and robbing people trying to escape, as well as looters breaking into abandoned homes and shops, have persuaded most residents to stay indoors.
Heavy gunfire, airstrikes, and artillery shelling have terrorized the city despite several proposed ceasefires.
Over the weekend, the reported death toll topped 420, with nearly 4,000 people injured, though both numbers are likely to be undercounted.